X748 Charging pump location and issues

/ X748 Charging pump location and issues #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Today I was checking out a JD X748 with a 60 inch deck. The owner tells me that is nothing wrong with it. He buys, fixes and sells mowers. This machine has 2700 hours on it. That is nothing for a diesel engine. The hydrostatic drive works great in forward and reverse. There is no hesitation or chattering. The steering and deck lift however is a whole different story. Regardless of the rpms and if you are sitting still or moving, they both chatter. The steering wheel just jerks as you try to turn the wheel in either direction. The deck lift jerks when lifting. Where is the charge pump location on these tractors? Is it internal or external? My guess is that a relief valve is not set right or has a busted spring. Worse case the pump is junk. The cost for a new one is around $1400.00. This has to be figured in with the buying price. TIA

/ X748 Charging pump location and issues #2  
Could it be air in the system? Otherwise, I can't help you out. Let others chime in.

/ X748 Charging pump location and issues #3  
The owner tells me that is nothing wrong with it. He buys, fixes and sells mowers.

With what you describe, how can the "owner" say there is nothing wrong?

/ X748 Charging pump location and issues
I doubt that it is air because I ran the tractor for at least 20 minutes and drove it around doing full stop to stop turns with it. The hydraulic tank is full with no air bubbles on the dipstick when I checked it afterwards.

With what you describe, how can the "owner" say there is nothing wrong?
Some people will say anything to sell something. As soon as I questioned it he said "Yeah, it chatters a bit but still works" I have a torn up shoulder and said it chatters and jerks and is harder to turn than the manual steering on my Cub Cadet Super LT1550. With that I told him that I would research what a new pump install costs and get back to him on it. Whatever JD tells me the cost is will get deducted from his asking price and then I'll make him an offer.

The charge pump is on the front end of the transaxle on the outside. At least it is not on the inside of the transaxle.

/ X748 Charging pump location and issues #7  
JimR
Good plan...

Charge pump

Attachments

• 748X_chargepump.jpg
    748X_chargepump.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 100
Yup, that is the part.

/ X748 Charging pump location and issues #9  
If you already owned it, I'd be tearing it apart and seeing what's worn. 2700 hours is a lot of hours for a lawn unit IMO. I have 1.5 acres, and my riding mower has about 450 hours on it since 2005. And I live in the south, where we mow weeds in Jan/Apr and grass from Apr/Nov.