Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,521  
Ken's Karpentry says they have gone up. I noticed a plywood I want to use went up 2-3 dollars a sheet after a steady price for months.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,522  
There's the value of the currency to consider. Again, this has to do with relativity. If the currency is getting weak then prices are going to go up: think inflationary forces (more money printing). If the currency is getting strong then prices are likely going to go down: deflationary forces (money pulled from circulation). Watch pricing through the lens of USD vs precious metals.

Again, "time is money." If you have time then fine, wait until you feel it's time (and hope that it does in fact hit the mark). I had a significant design cooked up on a house and was on the verge of hiring an architect to draft up plans. A physical set-back happened and though I've recovered time has passed and the sketchiness of markets added up to nix the project. For me "time" killed the project: I had a slim window and that's now passed: I was to manage and do all except concrete (slab) work myself.

What is certain is that there will be price fluctuations and that there will be set-backs (negative impacts on time).

I'll note that there's always used materials out there if new prices are too great. Takes a fair amount of time and effort to round up.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,523  
Building now seems like a good bet.

1/2" plywood is $21-$23 and 1/2" OSD is $15. 2x4's still seem to be a $1 or so higher than before, but much better than they were. The days of $1.80 studs and $15 plywood are gone.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,525  
Mike, what matters more is affodability. Price could be up (inflation) as well as one's income (inflation) OR price could be down (deflation) as well as one's income (deflation). Price is relative. Look around and see if there's a building boom going on around you: you could check your county's active building permits. If there is then the prices are going to be higher and then likely settle down as the building activity diminishes. Also keep in mind that if you are older (as am I) time starts becoming more important: I recently did a huge car restoration project because I couldn't wait around for the car I wanted to pop up (used car, of course); after 7 months I've only seen one car that was similar and it wasn't a color I would want (work to change would be too much; and the overall condition wasn't as good).

Income hasn't gone up lately but it would be nice if it did. I'm mid fifties and just done with lying on frozen ground to fix a car. My backup thought is a metal building but I prefer stick built.

From the other replies it seems like the price is relatively stable. I don't care about a bit on the high side but 2 or 3 times more than it was is kinda nuts. Like most things, if you wait for the perfect time it will never happen.

7/16 OSB shows as $18, 19/32 is $25, both at the orange store. That's better than $80 during Covid times. Thanks for the replies!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,526  
Income hasn't gone up lately but it would be nice if it did. I'm mid fifties and just done with lying on frozen ground to fix a car. My backup thought is a metal building but I prefer stick built.

From the other replies it seems like the price is relatively stable. I don't care about a bit on the high side but 2 or 3 times more than it was is kinda nuts. Like most things, if you wait for the perfect time it will never happen.

7/16 OSB shows as $18, 19/32 is $25, both at the orange store. That's better than $80 during Covid times. Thanks for the replies!
Wow, 7/16 OSB was $5.98 last time I bought it there (2019). I bought a bunch to cover the loft floor on my new pole barn. I thought it was reasonably priced then.

I’m thankful that I put that barn up when I did. Prices on everything building related went nuts within 6 months after.
7289B586-2DF2-4A6F-8649-978B77CE4651.jpeg

Fortunately, that is the only lumber I needed to purchase for that job. All the other stuff was repurposed from a couple of my great great grandfathers old “1883” post and beam barns that I dismantled to make room for the new pole barn.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,528  
wolc123, love the look of that barn.
Thanks, it was quite a project, and is still a work in progress. The outer structure is a Stockade building (from Ohio), 36 x 50 x 12 ft, with (2) 25 x 10 ft porches.

I had originally planned on using the back porch for firewood storage, but it seems you can never have too much inside storage. My latest “addition”, was adding a 7 ft wide lean-to on the back of the back porch, which I now use for my firewood, freeing up the original back porch for more tractors, etc..

Stockade capped each bundle of metal siding and roofing metal with a green colored sheet of the same size and gauge, to prevent scratching during shipment. I used those “extra” green sheets of metal to cover the lean-to, which was otherwise entirely made from materials recovered from my great great grandads old barns. That woodshed thus cost me nothing for materials:
800BFC70-E971-4791-A221-0DC41C73E6DB.jpeg