YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral

/ YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral #1  

gt14

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM146 YM165D
I have a YM146 and I recently replaced the steering shaft and bearings and I had to disconnect the shifting linkage. But now that I have put it back together when I try to shift from reverse back to neutral it is very hard to shift. I have sprayed to shift cable with lube but that did no good. Do you think I put something back on wrong or is something wrong with my shifting shaft etc? A

Any help would be appreciated.

/ YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral #2  
I have a YM146 and I recently replaced the steering shaft and bearings and I had to disconnect the shifting linkage. But now that I have put it back together when I try to shift from reverse back to neutral it is very hard to shift. I have sprayed to shift cable with lube but that did no good. Do you think I put something back on wrong or is something wrong with my shifting shaft etc? A

Any help would be appreciated.
Not sure if this would help any. It's the latest and last publication for your machine.
Last update May, 2013 0CT10-M21500EN
This is great to have since many Yanmar OE part numbers have been superseded with the latest ones. The prior manual was 1984!

See section 49. STEERING

This covers YM122, YM226, YM142 & YM146

This is found on the web for free, but difficult to weed thru all the spammer sites to a legit site.
Others like it are now found at the Yanmar Owners Tractor Group. Link in my signature below.

Attachments

• YANMAR 2T75U-N MA10-N YM122 YM126 YM142 YM146 0CT10-M21500_en.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 139
   / YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral #3  
Have you tried taking the cable loose at the transmission, then work shift lever noticing good or bad movement? Also, hand shift at transmission noting good or bad movement. Figure 58.

/ YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral
I will try that next Thank you

/ YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral #5  
Check the clutch pedal Adj.. With no problems shifting or the clutch slipping forwards being powershift the going into reverse indicates the Trans. is turning. Grinding gears trying to stop or lock and still moving. Just a thought............

/ YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral
Thank you for all the replies got it fixed. It was the cable which was gunked up. I have a parts YM-146 which has everything but the engine. I was able to swap cables now it shifts like a charm.

/ YM-146 hard shifting from reverse to neutral #7