Zetor 7045 heavy white smoke

/ Zetor 7045 heavy white smoke #1  

zegersfarm

Tractor
Kubota L2900 Zetor8011
I am working on a Zetor 7045 with a 7001 engine that was retired 20 years ago and left outside. The pistons were seized because the exhaust was not capped and water made it onto the pistons. The injection pump and injectors still had fuel in them.
I have replaced the cylinders, the pistons, did a valve job with new valves and replaced one rusted-plugged injector. The injectors opening pressure is 2300 PSI and the spray pattern looks good. The cylinder compression is more than 300 PSI (my gauge is maxed out at 300 PSI)
I used lots of oil (Rotella 20W30) putting the pistons in the cylinders. I put new diesel fuel in the tank and in the injection system.
The tractor started up with lots of whitish smoke. It runs on all 4 cylinders.

How long will it take for her to stop smoking? Is it fuel or oil? Or is there an other problem?
I want to check the ignition timing, but cannot find any TDC / BTDC or other marks. The shop manual is no help.
Anyone knows ?

ZetorParts.jpg

/ Zetor 7045 heavy white smoke #2  
From reading posts and responses on this site my guess would be moisture in the engine. It should clear as the engine warms. If it does not clear you have a possible leak allowing water into the cylinders. It could be a head gasket, a cracked block, or possibly something else entirely.

/ Zetor 7045 heavy white smoke
It is not moisture, the engine has a separate head and head gasket for every cylinder. They are all fine. The block is not cracked.

If the heavy smoke is from the oil that was used on pistons and cylinders at assembly, how long will it take before it is gone?

/ Zetor 7045 heavy white smoke #4  
White smoke from a diesel is unburned fuel. Not water; not oil. The white smoke probably smells strongly of diesel.

Normal cause is bad injectors or retarded timing.

Of course unburned diesel type white smoke can also be due to something lowering the compression such as bad rings or valve timing/lash adjustment wrong.... it can even be a stuck compression release. But all those don't sound like the case with your fresh rebuild.

If it were mine I'd look closely at the exhaust and listen too.. You want to try to determine if it seems that all the cylinders are doing the same thing or not. If they are all doing the same, you should check that injector timing.
Injector timing is not difficult. Most diesels run about the same timing BTDC, and it is common to have some sort of convenient timing mark.

If the cylinders seem different, or if you get a backfire through the exhaust pipe, rebuild the injectors as the most probably culprit. Rebuild them all.... and expect that to be it.
rScotty

/ Zetor 7045 heavy white smoke #5  
u should send out the injectors and have them tested, esp since all other work u have done, correct
fuel system is just as important.