2004 GMC Running Lights Problem

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
Today I am fiddling with my Dad's 2004 GMC 3500 Duramax. The marker/park/running lights (whatever you wish to call them) will not burn. The problem started when he took the center cluster of cab lights loose due to one bulb not burning, after he put it back together none of them work. We put a tester on them and we are not getting power to them. I can not seem to find a fuse for them, only the head lights and daytime running lamps. Does anyone know which one it is?

I'm not a electrician by any means but I figured even a dummy like myself could figure this out. Well, not so far!

Thanks,

DT86

Last edited:
   / 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #2  
Might have pulled out a plug when he took the lights loose. ???
My 2004 Silverado has two fuse panels, one on left side of dash accessable with door open and one under the hood, over left fender. Both have an index telling what the fuses are for.

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem
I thought about that but... None of the running lights work, under the head lights, on the cab, in the dually fenders or the rear.

Yes, there are two fuse panels where you describe in addition to a third one above the gas pedal which is kind of hard to see (I think it is for A/C, radio, ect). They are marked but I can not seem to find one fuse for the stupid running lights. :confused3:

Maybe I need a Haynes manual. :anyone:

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #4  
You just need a cold beer and daddy bill needs a new ride

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #6  
I did a quick search and all I found was the fuse is under the hood for the DRL. IDK if I have a manual for that truck or not if you can't figure it out I'll look and see if I do.

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #7  
The engine compartment fuse panel is where you need to focus. There are three fuses (4 if you count the one running the trailer plug) and a relay. RR PARK, LR PARK, and FRT PARK all 10A micro fuses. Since none of the lights are working I'm wondering if something damaged the relay. You can swap the STARTER relay, which should be right next to the PARK LP relay, in it's place just to check. The micro fuses can be a bugger to pull out even with the fuse puller, especially if they're right next to something that makes it difficult to squeeze down on the puller. If the relay is bad you should be able to pick one up at an auto parts store, if not and all the fuses are good then we'll need to break out the multi-meter. GOOD LUCK!

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #8  
Do the flashers/directional work? I think they are fused with the parking lights. Power for the head lights and parking lights go through the dash switch. Check there for power.

My 04 had a similar problem of lighting the brake lights when using the left turn directional. I never fixed it. The dealer told me it was the trailer plug, but i had disconnect that system (4 plugs at the back behind the bumper) and it was still flashing the 3rd brake light. The only other thing could be the body control module. I traded the truck for my current Chevy before i finally found the problem.

Do you have any other odd electrical gremlins?

/ 2004 GMC Running Lights Problem #9  
My 05 Dmax was plagued from day one with electrical issues. I bet I put 20 fuses in it the 9 months I owned it.

Good luck.

Chris

Alright gentlemen, after reading the replies and looking some more I found the problem(s).

At first I switched the park lamp relay with the starter relay. That solved half the problem, the ones under the head lights came on but the ones on the roof still wouldn't work. I was stumped.

I looked at the chart again and saw a 10 amp labeled INTPARK. Yesterday when I read it I thought it had to due with the "park interlock", You knToday when I saw it I instantly thought "integrated park", aka cab lights.. I pulled it out and it was clearly blown. Switched it with another 10 amp and we have a winner.

image-2370072735.jpg

All the lights will now work as they should, he just needs to get a new relay and 10 amp fuse. I really appreciate the responses here, thanks guys.