Welding coupon bender.

/ Welding coupon bender. #1  

jasonzee

Silver Member
Tractor
farmtrac555
Has anyone built there own? It's been awhile since I passed a bend test I just wanna see if I still have it.

/ Welding coupon bender. #2  
If you have access to an ASME Section IX, it will give you dimensions needed. Basically for a homebuilt it needs to have a plunger that is 2 1/16" wide for the bend radius x 2" (width of test strap) x at least 8" long so it will push the test straps thru the bending jig. The bottom of the plunger is rounded to a 1 1/32" radius. The straps could be bent on a Harbor Freight press. Just set the distance between the bend point to 2 1/16 wide plus 2x thickness of test coupon. So if you are testing on a .375 wall thickness add 3/4" to the 2 1/16= 2.8125+- (for you home built 2 7/8" should be perfect) wide space in which to bend the test strap thru.

Hope this helps.

/ Welding coupon bender. #3  
All I’ve ever seen is guys using a press......I guess you could build to the specs above

/ Welding coupon bender.
Thanks Il take a look at HF press.

/ Welding coupon bender. #6  
Has anyone tried to google it? Yes, an official test for passing certification is done in a press with calibrated molds. A poor mans test would be to put it in a vise and bend over with a hammer. That is what we did for practicing for the test. If it will take that est the real thing is no problem. Standard coupons for ASME power piping and pressure vessels are done on schedule 40 6" pipe. Some times depend on the "test procedure" used for the test. Not sure what the AWS process is for structural welding.

Ron