bx FEL bucket quick attach

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #1  

RedDirt

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23, Wards 16HP HST Garden Tractor, (previous) D2 Logging Cat
Not that I NEED another project but I can't find any post of someone building a FEL bucket quick attach for a three cylinder set up like the Kubota Bx models (two lift arms and one center curl cylinder). Does anyone know of such a post or have other information?

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #2  
I too have been looking for others who have done this project. I cannot convince myself it would be worth it. What sort of attachments could the BX actually run off the FEL? Plow, forks?

I was given a plow blade that had been modified to fit on the FEL arms of an older BX model, now I need to modify it a bit to make the 3 pins line up properly (BX24 FEL arms are a little wider at the pins) and this is why I had been looking for a quick attach. Those 3 pins can be a pain to line up to get the bucket off and plow on. And who really wants to pull out the rubber hammer and extension plus the 2 wrenches and sockets to get the pins out.

As for the light duty forks there have been several that have been made as well as the clamp on versions.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach
Just2quickz28 said:
I too have been looking for others who have done this project. I cannot convince myself it would be worth it. What sort of attachments could the BX actually run off the FEL? Plow, forks?

For starters I want a large light weight set of brush forks. I built a set for my garden tractor from 5/8" rebar. These are about 42" wide, 24" long x 24" high w/ tines at about 6" OC. With my little 2WD tractor, wheel weights & chains, I can push a load of logging limbs that are about half the size as my mini pick up. I was very impressed. The rebar forks actually worked quite well. I've bent a couple of tines a few times but they bend back easily enough. For the bx I'd use 3/4" or 1" rebar. The limiting factor on the little tractor is the lift. Big loads I can't get off the ground but the lift "lightens" the load for pushing. Medium loads I can get a few inches off the ground but even light loads I can only lift about 18" due to the very short cylinder. The set up is hydraulic lift, trip lever dump. A set for the bx would handle more but mote importantly I'd have the high lift and dump.

Next are pallet forks. I have a light set on the plan board that hook to the bucket lip like other similar TBN forks. But if I had a quick connect I'd build them differently.

Then there is my 2cuyd leaf bucket. Right now I hang it from the bucket lip and strap around the bucket with cables and turnbuckles. My prototype is posted here.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/112403-2cuyd-leaf-bucket-scut-works.html

Maybe I'd convert my small tractor pull snow plow to push from th bx QA.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #4  
I was trying to find something like the skid steer attachment plates for the BX. But seeing how the front bucket does not weigh that much I was starting to think that it might be easier to just develop the attachments into bucket.

light duty clamp on forks have about the same weight rating as the FEL has for lifting. and I have seen snow plows mounted into the front bucket

Like I said, I am trying to convince myself that it would be worth it, to take off the front bucket for each new attachment, or if driving over and hooking it up into the front bucket would be a better solution

Matt

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #5  
how about using the 3 point quick hitch from a place like northern freight. looks like weilding places to pin the fel arms and the dump cyclinder and you would hace a quick hitch set up

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #6  
ATI used to sell a QD option for the Kubota BX, a pin on type. Sale of that item has been discontinued I think, but the last time I looked, there were still pictures of the setup at their web site. I think there were some problems with camming forces exerted by the center tilt cylinder, but it might be worth a look for ideas anyway.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #8  
i have also looked at the idea of a QA on the front of the BX.

Weight was an issue, it would have to be light enough not to zap the capacity which is pretty low anyway.

Here is a question I have been pondering:

How difficult is it to simply remove the 3 large steel pins, and make attachments that fit those same 3 mounting pins?

if it's not overly difficult, wouldn't that be fairly Quick? It may take 5 mins, not 2 mins, but might be a possibility?

First order of business, how difficult/time consuming is it to remove one of the pins?

Anyone have any thoughts about it?

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #9  
I have been doing that to swap between the bucket and my plow that mounts on the bucket pins.

it can be a pain, theres a retaining bolt per pin (2 different sizes) so that means 2 sets of wrenches and sockets. Then you have to use a 3/8s drive extension and hammer to drive out the pins which usually takes all the grease off the pins then line up the next attachment and regrease the pins and drive the pins back in depending on the weight of the attachments (front bucket pretty light can move it on my own but my plow is much heavier) it takes me about 25 mins now that I have had some practice

but at that rate I dont bother sometimes with the snow plow and just plow the driveway with the bucket.

I am going to see if I can get my hands on the ATI pin style to see if its worth while

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #10  
Just2quickz28 said:
I have been doing that to swap between the bucket and my plow that mounts on the bucket pins.

it can be a pain, theres a retaining bolt per pin (2 different sizes) so that means 2 sets of wrenches and sockets. Then you have to use a 3/8s drive extension and hammer to drive out the pins which usually takes all the grease off the pins then line up the next attachment and regrease the pins and drive the pins back in depending on the weight of the attachments (front bucket pretty light can move it on my own but my plow is much heavier) it takes me about 25 mins now that I have had some practice

but at that rate I dont bother sometimes with the snow plow and just plow the driveway with the bucket.

I am going to see if I can get my hands on the ATI pin style to see if its worth while

Thanks for the info! That is more time and effort for something we would like to be called QUICK.

Good answer though, now we know what we are dealing with.

i hate to fabricate a Quick Attach and find it weighs 100#, that is 1/5th of the bucket lift capacity robbed.