bx FEL bucket quick attach

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #21  
A complete set of pins, grease fittings, bolts, and nuts is $44.45 plus tax. I bought a set to do some experimenting. I have also worked on the bushing material.

I think pins are the way to go. I just ordered the micro max fork set with a blank back. I hope to mount it so it replaces the bucket.

Cary:cool:

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #22  
The pins are not the only issue with the front bucket attachment, lining up the holes on the FEL arms and the bucket is a pain, its not THAT bad with the bucket but my plow is a PITA thats why I think the ATI points of contact where triangular.

I have swaped out the front bucket for my plow 7 or 8 times this year, because the weather man said SNOW, it takes me 20-25 mins by myself to line up the bucket and drive the pins in. I do not have a garage (just a car port that the machine is in for now) so 20mins in the cold messing with pins is not cutting it

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #23  
Guys, I just saw this thread and when I get some time (in the next few months), I too will be going down the fabrication road transforming my FEL bucket to QR.

After looking at a bunch of possibilities, I am convinced my best route is to upgrade the overall Kubota design.

Since my machine just left its warranty period, I first plan to replace the main FEL hydraulic rams with larger units:

Surplus Center Item Detail

After that is complete, I plan to abandon the use of the "center dump" ram on the bucket and instead make new mounts on the "bend" of the FEL arms and use both rams I took off (one on each side) instead of the center one (see the attached for a JD example of how it will end up looking). While this is somewhat radical, it solves virtually all of the problems I can think involving the existing center ram.

I am also hoping to use the abandoned center ram mount on the FEL cross tube to make a "self closing" grapple. This would eliminate the need to run extra auxiliary hydraulics up front (see my crude drawing)

As many of you have mentioned before, the FEL capacity is limited to the 500lb range. While I am not hoping to dramatically increase the FEL's capacity, I would like to get it to the point where the FEL can lift enough to tip the tractor (much like larger loaders and skid steers can). With this added capacity comes both more danger and stress. I am comfortable with the danger part and with some reinforcing plates like the B21 uses to the FOPS, this should take care of the stress part (BTW, I am replacing my ROPS with a homemade FOPS)

With the added capacity and a light duty QR bracket of less than 100 lbs (the bucket weighs 200lbs by itself) this should help things out.

Poke holes in my ideas - feedback comments are always welcome.

Attachments

• 790-grapple3.jpg
    790-grapple3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 698
  • grapple linkage.GIF
    grapple linkage.GIF
    6.7 KB · Views: 652
   / bx FEL bucket quick attach #24  
Perhaps the ATI design, by adding some length to the center coupling, is actually forming a cam, or camming action against the bucket. One of the members here with Solid Works, or a modeling program like that could lay that out in 3d. At some loss in range of motion, one of the attaching points could be slotted. I agree that there is probably a good market for a lightweight, and simple QD mechanism for the BX series. I don't have my BX now, so I can't take measurements, but this is an interesting problem to work out. There is no reason that a solution can't be found.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #25  
bx24 said:
Guys, I just saw this thread and when I get some time (in the next few months), I too will be going down the fabrication road transforming my FEL bucket to QR.

After looking at a bunch of possibilities, I am convinced my best route is to upgrade the overall Kubota design.

Since my machine just left its warranty period, I first plan to replace the main FEL hydraulic rams with larger units:

Surplus Center Item Detail

After that is complete, I plan to abandon the use of the "center dump" ram on the bucket and instead make new mounts on the "bend" of the FEL arms and use both rams I took off (one on each side) instead of the center one (see the attached for a JD example of how it will end up looking). While this is somewhat radical, it solves virtually all of the problems I can think involving the existing center ram.

I am also hoping to use the abandoned center ram mount on the FEL cross tube to make a "self closing" grapple. This would eliminate the need to run extra auxiliary hydraulics up front (see my crude drawing)

As many of you have mentioned before, the FEL capacity is limited to the 500lb range. While I am not hoping to dramatically increase the FEL's capacity, I would like to get it to the point where the FEL can lift enough to tip the tractor (much like larger loaders and skid steers can). With this added capacity comes both more danger and stress. I am comfortable with the danger part and with some reinforcing plates like the B21 uses to the FOPS, this should take care of the stress part (BTW, I am replacing my ROPS with a homemade FOPS)

With the added capacity and a light duty QR bracket of less than 100 lbs (the bucket weighs 200lbs by itself) this should help things out.

Poke holes in my ideas - feedback comments are always welcome.

While I like your idea of adding a cylinder to the bucket, I have a couple questions.

Instead of replacing your lift cylinders, why not increase the hydraulic pressure from its factory setting of around 1800 psi to 2000? Or 2400?

The pressure relief valve for the loader is independent of both the backhoe (has it's own) and the HST, which is a separate system and relief valve, that runs at a much higher pressure (around 3000psi)

Increasing the relief valve pressure is a five minute job that requires a 28 cent shim.

I am confident you can achieve what you desire- lifting to the tipping point- but with the back hoe installed, that is a LOT of weight on this tractor.

I think your stresses on the loader would be the same going either route.
I know my BX will lift over 800 lbs easily-several feet off the ground. If you are limited to 500lbs I would check your system pressure.

John

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #26  
johnray13 said:
Increasing the relief valve pressure is a five minute job that requires a 28 cent shim.

John

John-

I like the idea of turning up the relief PSI .... I am sold (now I just have to learn how! I think I understand the concept, but I am clueless to the actual procedure)

Even with that, I think I am still leaning towards the "two ram" bucket dump design. Using one in the middle not only ties up that middle space with flanges etc, but that design forces what ever is attached to the middle to be able to withstand a bunch of torque. While I will defend these small tractors as true mini-workhorses, there must be good reasons why virtually all larger tractors utilize two cylinders.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #27  
Just2quickz28 said:
I wish I could get my hands on the discontinued BX model to try adjustments. I think there would be a decent sized market for something like this for the BX series.

I believe Woodbury Tractor in CT has one in stock. Click on the link below, it is the 2nd item from the top.
Inventory - Woodbury Tractor Company, LLC

Norm

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #28  
amigauser said:
I believe Woodbury Tractor in CT has one in stock. Click on the link below, it is the 2nd item from the top.
Inventory - Woodbury Tractor Company, LLC

Norm

Norm thanks, I will give them a call hopefully they still have it, even if I end up breaking it I think it would cost me more in material to start from scratch.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #29  
Ok, I have actually found an ATI Pin Type model 100049 which according to the 2006 ATI product list fits LA181, LA210, LA211.

Are the front bucket mounting points the same with the LA240 on the BX24?

Can some one with one of those loaders measure the front bucket mounting dimensions the space where the arms go into the bucket. And the width from the outside to outside of the side mounting points.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #30  
bx24 said:
John-

I like the idea of turning up the relief PSI .... I am sold (now I just have to learn how! I think I understand the concept, but I am clueless to the actual procedure)

Even with that, I think I am still leaning towards the "two ram" bucket dump design. Using one in the middle not only ties up that middle space with flanges etc, but that design forces what ever is attached to the middle to be able to withstand a bunch of torque. While I will defend these small tractors as true mini-workhorses, there must be good reasons why virtually all larger tractors utilize two cylinders.

Paul,

I think you are on to something with the idea of adding a dump/curl cylinder. I have been mulling this over for a while myself.

It has always seemed to me that the single cylinder is too under powered and it is way to slow. I have used Bobcats (skid steers) and one of the features that works very well is the speed of the curl. You can pop material up almost like a cook flipping a pancake with the bucket.

Here is what I would like to do but haven't figured out: I would like to increase the power and speed of the bucket. I have bumped up the releif setting to 2000psi (the factory spec is around 1800psi-I can walk you thru that if you 'd like) That made a difference, not too much, maybe around 100 pounds or so in the lift.

Let me think this over this afternoon and I'll post some thoughts later about how this might work.
John