Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #81  
If you do go the pressure washer route make sure you have a small pump to feed the pressure washer. On mine the documentation states that drawing from an unpressurized source will damage the pump. Just FYI. I got a couple of those totes and they're 275gals apiece. That's around 2200lbs full and your right you don't need to fill them all the way. Just thinking out loud:)

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #82  
...Sandblast a fencepost before painting (nozzle that has a sand pickup tube, I've read good reviews)

Would this be a wet sand blasting method? If so, it's interesting.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #83  
You mentioned a water tank, how many gals? At 8.25lbs (give or take) per gallon it adds up fast. For my property I wanted to make a 1000gal fire suppression trailer (I'm out in BFE) but after realizing I needed a 10,000lb trailer welllllll. Finding axles would be a problem.

Keep your eye on the farm auctions. 1,000 gallon poly nurse tanks on trailers are a dime a dozen in these parts. Already come with gas powered pump, all you need to do is add your fire hose and nozzle.

The KBH Corporation | Liquid Fertilizer Nurse Trailer

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #84  
Just a couple of comments:
If you go with a line shaft as you originally discussed, you'll get the best output at the engines max horsepower rpm, not at the max torque rpm. The gearing will be sightly lower to get to the same output shaft speed.

You will definitely need a governor or the speed will drop as soon as you start to apply a load to do any work. Lawn mowers, chippers, welders, tractors, generators, pressure washers and almost everything except cars and trucks have governors to maintain a set speed.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #85  
Consider, also, that those olde timey line shafts usually had a whompin' big flywheel, so that the speed (power) didn't drop, when the load was applied. A good modern example is the big chippers we see tree crews using.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #86  
A little off in a different direction, but if you were looking at machining work capability, there are a lot of old 1920-40 metal lathes out there still around that ran off a belt from the motor - one of those could easily be adapted to your line drive. Weight may be an issue, depending on model and size...
Not sure what you are designing for, but if you have to fab stuff, you can't beat having a lathe handy. Look up "cone head Hendey lathes" as an example. These are readily available and can be had on the cheap - and still have a lot of capability left in them.

May want to build a small hydraulic press into the trailer as well for pressing bearings, straightening stuff, etc. You could use the rigidity of the trailer frame to build the press INTO the trailer.

And maybe add bottle racks for a ox/acet torch set - every shop needs one of them!

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #87  
Consider, also, that those olde timey line shafts usually had a whompin' big flywheel, so that the speed (power) didn't drop, when the load was applied. A good modern example is the big chippers we see tree crews using.

Even the big chippers have governors. If you just opened the throttle completely with no load, they would overspeed. If the throttle was only opened enough to get the engine to say 2200 rpm, it would slow to a crawl when loaded. You would never use the full power of the engine unless there was a governor to open the throttle when needed. The flywheels definitely help absorb the surge requirements when the load is applied.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #88  
If you wanted a lathe, look for something like one of the really old south bends, that is intended to run off of a line shaft. Also, are you planning to have room to work in it, or is it just transporting stuff and doing all the work out side. If you are doing all the work outside, it would be better to have a big engine drive welder with built in air compressor, so you can run electric tools, air tools, and weld. Unless you are planning to do the work in side like a mobile workshop (how I would do it), the line shaft is pointless, and just something else to go wrong, it would be better to run everything of electricity or air. You were saying you wanted to have the line shaft so that there was only one engine, and less to go wrong. I dont think you know just how much to go wrong there is with that system, there is much less maintance with electric motors on everything, and much less to go wrong. There is a reason why all shops use electric motors on everything now, and not line shafts.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO
   / Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO
Just a couple of comments:
If you go with a line shaft as you originally discussed, you'll get the best output at the engines max horsepower rpm, not at the max torque rpm. The gearing will be sightly lower to get to the same output shaft speed.

You will definitely need a governor or the speed will drop as soon as you start to apply a load to do any work. Lawn mowers, chippers, welders, tractors, generators, pressure washers and almost everything except cars and trucks have governors to maintain a set speed.

I believe the engine is way oversized for the running 1 or 2 things at a time. Hopefully I can find a horsepower/torque graph for this engine. Maybe run it at an RPM that will provide 30 or so horsepower, what do you think?