Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #61  
The truck engine has an over speed governor, to keep the driver putting the engine over the set RPM. And they are noted for not working properly. He needs a governor that will hold a set RPM with or with out load on the unit. The ones I was referring to are belt driven, and had a separate throttle plate Hoof I think was one of the brands of governors.

del10820

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO
The truck engine has an over speed governor, to keep the driver putting the engine over the set RPM. And they are noted for not working properly. He needs a governor that will hold a set RPM with or with out load on the unit. The ones I was referring to are belt driven, and had a separate throttle plate Hoof I think was one of the brands of governors.

del10820

Thanks, I will check out Hoof and research belt driven governors.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #63  

del10820

Ahh ok. What about finding the top speed of the engine, and setting up a reduction drive to go from the top speed to the required speed, and just letting the engine run at its max speed.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #64  
Yeah, just put a brick on the pedal, eh Guvnor?

Did Red Green ever build this mobile shop on his show? We might be reinventing the wheel here.

2BEST121ACC%5B1%5D-thumb-180xauto-13562.jpg

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #65  
Yeah, just put a brick on the pedal, eh Guvnor?

Did Red Green ever build this mobile shop on his show? We might be reinventing the wheel here.

2BEST121ACC%5B1%5D-thumb-180xauto-13562.jpg

I dont think red green ever made a mobile shop, and yes my idea sounds like something he would do, but it would work. Lets say the top speed of the engine is 2160 rpm, you put a 4:1 reduction drive on the engine, and run it at top speed, and you have 540 rpm.

But really, the governer is the way to go, you might be able to find one on something like a chuck and duck chipper.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #66  
I dont think red green ever made a mobile shop, and yes my idea sounds like something he would do, but it would work. Lets say the top speed of the engine is 2160 rpm, you put a 4:1 reduction drive on the engine, and run it at top speed, and you have 540 rpm.

But really, the governer is the way to go, you might be able to find one on something like a chuck and duck chipper.

I think an advantage of the governer is potential fuel savings. Lower horsepower machines could be geared to run with the engine at a lower RPM.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #67  

You sure chippers have governors? I'm pretty sure you set the throttle at chipper speed and momentum of the chipper head takes care of the rest.

A belt drive tractor governor is what is needed here. Another option is to buy a old power unit. Power units are basically tractor engines without the tractor... however they are self contained and have radiator, fuel tank, control system, etc. They are typically mounted on a skid. Google John Deere or IH power units to learn more.

The diesel/electric generator with electrically powered tools is still the way to go. But I guess that's a big enough challenge! LOL! :)

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #68  
The diesel/electric generator with electrically powered tools is still the way to go. But I guess that's a big enough challenge! LOL! :)

A lot of construction guys use an air compressor to power their tools- no "voltage drop" in 100-200 feet of air hose, plus the tool weighs a lot less, up on the roof. And, AHHH! the quiet!

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #69  
The old chuck and duck chippers like asplundh use have governers. They are set up so that when the rpm starts droppping, it opens the throttle up to try and keep it fast enough to get through the piece of wood before stalling. One of these would be perfect because if you start something that needs alot of power to get moving, it will open up the throttle until it gets it spinning, and it will never go over the set rpm.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #70  
RUBE GOLDBERG.. goggle it,.... and you will get your answer,...ssssssorry guys but you are not going to fix anything,.but its sure fun watchin,.