Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #11  
Hey Overszd, why dont you come over to Holland and work here ? My boss is desperately looking for some good welder/fabricators... ;)

You did a better job as my brother last month, his log splitter first wasnt strong enough, and in the second attempt (with a bigger cylinder) he split the log splitter instead of the log.. :D
Your machine looks professional, and i like the idea of that sheetmetal you're using to catch the split pieces of logs behind the blade.

The Americans on this site have all thanked you for your service to their country... As a Dutchman i just wanted to let you know that as well in Europe, there are loads of people that appreciate and admire the very dangerous work you do. :)

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #12  
Very nice looking splitter. As others have mentioned, thank you for your service! I have those serving over seas in my prayers as I know most do.

On thing I did want to mention on the splitter is that some of the hydraulic fitting look to be common black iron. There are some high pressure fittings that do look very much like black iron and this may be what you have. I just wanted to point out that if these are common hardware store black iron fittings, they are not rated for anywhere near the pressure you are using them under.

Ken

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics
montanaman said:
Very nice looking splitter. As others have mentioned, thank you for your service! I have those serving over seas in my prayers as I know most do.

On thing I did want to mention on the splitter is that some of the hydraulic fitting look to be common black iron. There are some high pressure fittings that do look very much like black iron and this may be what you have. I just wanted to point out that if these are common hardware store black iron fittings, they are not rated for anywhere near the pressure you are using them under.

Ken

I assume you are talking about the fittings where the gauge is mounted?? I questioned that too. My hydraulics guy said they would stand as much as the brass nipple screwed into the pressure gauge. I thought he made a valid point. I'll update if I have any problems. Thanks for the tip though.

MikeD74T said:
ovrszd, Very nice work. If you were to weld a piece of 3/4' x 6" rod on the front of the vertical 3pt post you'd have a fine storage location for your pto pump when dismounted from the tractor. MikeD74T

Great idea!!!!! As is,, I lift the pump up over the vertical post and lay it on the reservoir. I'll add that tomorrow!!! :)

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #15  
That is one beautiful splitter ovrszd! Very Nice!

And thank you for your service in Iraq...glad you made it home safely.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #16  
Beautiful splitter! Any idea how much it weighs? I'm wondering if my little tractor could lift one like that. I rent a splitter now, but I'd sure like one of my own.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #17  
Renze said:
Hey Overszd, why dont you come over to Holland and work here ? My boss is desperately looking for some good welder/fabricators... ;)

You did a better job as my brother last month, his log splitter first wasnt strong enough, and in the second attempt (with a bigger cylinder) he split the log splitter instead of the log.. :D
Your machine looks professional, and i like the idea of that sheetmetal you're using to catch the split pieces of logs behind the blade.

The Americans on this site have all thanked you for your service to their country... As a Dutchman i just wanted to let you know that as well in Europe, there are loads of people that appreciate and admire the very dangerous work you do. :)

Overszd take him up on his offer Holland is a beautiful country. Do a few years tax free income and then come home and retire. :)

Ifixcars said:
Beautiful splitter! Any idea how much it weighs? I'm wondering if my little tractor could lift one like that. I rent a splitter now, but I'd sure like one of my own.

I have no way to weigh the splitter. When I first mounted it for the initial test I didn't have any front weight on the tractor. From a standstill, carrying the splitter, I could easily raise the front tires on the tractor when moving forward. No way I could have taken it into the timber. I added a 125lb weight to the front and now only have problems if I'm in a steep climb. Two weights would completely cure that problem but would make the tractor front heavy when not using the splitter. I'll leave the single weight on the tractor except when mowing. I think the length of the splitter is more the problem than the weight since it's so far back from the tractor. I'll measure the splitter from the pins to the rear end of the table and report that.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #19  
Then it would probably tip my tractor over! I thought it looked pretty heavy. I would need a training wheel or wheely bars on the back or somthing. Maybe I'll think about a smaller scale unit. Your's looks indestructable though, I like it.

Ifixcars said:
Then it would probably tip my tractor over! I thought it looked pretty heavy. I would need a training wheel or wheely bars on the back or somthing. Maybe I'll think about a smaller scale unit. Your's looks indestructable though, I like it.

Dang it,,, I just came in from the shop and forgot to measure my splitter. I think I could have gotten by with a smaller I-beam. I also built more weight into the wedge than necessary. Then add the table to the end and you get a heavy splitter. Plus the 15 gallon of oil. So I think if you were weight conscious you could build a strong splitter that is lighter than mine. I'm not a techno guy so usually overkill. :)