Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics
SPYDERLK said:
Good work. Well laid out. Glad you are safe, so far. If those are plumbing fittings, your hydraulics guy has misdirected you. A gauge in itself is safe to the pressure on its scale, regardless that its parts may be brass. There is no real fluid flow in a gauge, so the passages can be very small. This translates to very little internal area for the pounds per sq inch(area) to push against. So even with high pressure the forces are low. I have a 10000psi gauge with a brass nipple. It is the fittings used to connect the gauge where you can get in trouble. Even tho they are a stronger material (debatable with cast iron tho) they have much more internal area, thinner walls and are more brittle. Plumbing fittings are rated at 150PSI. This is verry conservative, but I would never rely on them at a pressure higher than that where the nature of a leak may be dangerous. Like steam - - hot, or a high pressure oil squirt. These fittings can be damaged easily and it takes NO damage to make it likely that they will soon fail when used at 10 or 20 times their rated pressure.
As far as your filter - it should be fine. Unless something pretty bad comes from your tank, the limitation of one pass thru the sytem is pretty good. A suction filter would be bigger because more surface is needed to pass the flow at the low differential pressure available. It would be used before the pump. The two types are not interchangeable because of different bypass pressure settings.
Larry

I'll go to the city one day and get some hydraulic fittings to replace the galvanized stuff where the pump output goes into the valve and gauge. All I had to work with was a small implement dealer here locally and maybe he simply didn't have anything else?? I don't want to worry about a breakdown so I'll change it. Thanks for the techno tips Larry!!! :)

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #32  
I just found this site and I like it.

ovrszd
Top-notch craftsmanship and quality.

If the weight is too much, could the splitter be turned 90 deg.?

I built a hybrid hydraulic/diesel prototype truck and found there are several different types of hydraulic threads and fittings. When you replace your plumbing fittings, save a few trips to the supplier by knowing what threads you have.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #33  
hi Richard
thank you for serving
dan dube n.h.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #34  
You should not have galvanized or even black iron fittings in the return line either. Particularly after the filter. Pieces can break off and the next thing you know they are in the pump. I know steel fittings cost more but so does a pump.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #35  
I was reading thru this thread and looking at the pic when I noticed the date stamp on some of the pics. this thread is 5 years old. Nothing wrong with bringing back to life a old thread that portrays great craftmanship and ingenutity. Good job Ovrszd, and thanks for your service to our country. I hope you are still stuck in your shop doing what you like to do.

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics
I was reading thru this thread and looking at the pic when I noticed the date stamp on some of the pics. this thread is 5 years old. Nothing wrong with bringing back to life a old thread that portrays great craftmanship and ingenutity. Good job Ovrszd, and thanks for your service to our country. I hope you are still stuck in your shop doing what you like to do.

I was surprised to see this pop up. A few things have changed. My Shop burned almost three years ago, including my tractor and splitter, may they rest in peace.

I've also retired from the military after 40 years, 9 months. Now I'm "stuck" in my shop more than ever!!! Thanks for your support!!! :)

/ Homebuilt PTO 3PT Wood Splitter w/pics #38  
Have a look at something I put together out of (mainly) scrap iron. The saw has been recently changed to a hydraulic version - driven off a PTO pump.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY9lNTsufc

You need a guard on the chainsaw as your hand is 3 inches from the still running saw.

You'd be sued in 3 minutes in the USA for that contraption.

Sorry but liability is everything here.

Regards, Fred