Landscaper looking for some buying advice.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #31  
* Hanna Bechard * A Woman's Touch * Clarksville * TN * Landscaping * Lawncare * Patios * Ponds *

That is my wifes business.

No one machine will do all that you want, as I think you know, you will just need to make a series of compromises.

What have you been renting? Happy with it? Need bigger, smaller tighter turning? That would be my baseline.

We run a 1925 NH (34 hp) and a 743 Bobcat and I have a Ford 555C hoe. They all have their place.

If we had to have ONE for the business, it would be the tractor hands down.

I do not have the patience to run one of the smaller tractors like the B Kubota's. I know a lot of guys here love them to death, but my tractor constantly feels to small and underpowered.

That said we are currently looking at Dingo's and the like for some of the new "planned developments" (read, no land) subdivisions they have going on around here.

As too the dump trailer, the downside of the dump that you can load your equipment in, is that it is too low to work well as a dump (IMO). We load mulch etc. out of our dump straight into the wheelbarrows, If I have to shovel it up again, why bother? But that was my thought. If you are just hauling off debris, and have a place to spread as you dump to unload it, or a hill that you dump down, I imagine they work well. Again, a series of compromises have to be made, and only you know your situation.

Good luck.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #32  
A lot of good advise given so far and I'll just add a couple of thoughts. The Kubota B26 would be great in my opinion. I have the B21 and it has been bullet proof for the last 8 years. I will be surprised if the B26 will fit in a dump trailer with the backhoe attached so you do want to look at your trailer needs as you shop.

I don't think that business insurance has been mentioned yet. When you add a backhoe to your fleet insurance costs go way up, at least here. The possibility of hitting underground gas or fiber optic lines makes insurance companies nervous. Check with your agent before you make a final decision.

MarkV

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice.
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am glad that I held off a couple of weeks because Massey just upped their 0% to 72 months. I do not need that long to pay it off but it will be nice to have just in case.

I have also been keeping my eyes open for good deals on used tractors. The classified ads near my house have two sales that really interested me.

1.2004 John Deere 4310, 312hrs, frt loader, frt forks, rear backhoe, extra backhoe bucket, very well kept, LN, $18999

2. 2006 Kubota B3030, loader, mower, snowblower & backhoe, used 100hrs, EC, LN, $23500

You can see them here: Want Ad Digest - Classifieds

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #34  
If the 4310's backhoe is a "brand name" unit, that would be a steal of a deal.

Can't say if the 3030 is that good of a deal or not. I'll let the orange guys chime in.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #35  
The B3030 is a perfect fit for a landscaper. The center PTO for the mower deck and the position control on the 3 point for grading. 100 hours is a new tractor so that deal with the hoe and snow blower and mower deck is great