Landscaper looking for some buying advice.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #11  
Buy now, buy new, get attractive financing, and the money you save each week ( 600-800$ ? ) .. well each weak of savings could be up to 2 months of tractor payments. IE.. in just a couple months.. you could have paid for that year of tractor payments in labor savings.. and then the rest is gravy.. or you can reinvest and pay down the loan.. etc.

It's likely you will be wanting 20-30 hp.. with my guess being inthe 24hp area.. as a scut will be easier to maneuver in tight areas.... and any tractor with a hoe and bucket is better than a shovel, and wheel barrow and hired hand any day..

soundguy

I have had a small landscaping business for several years and lately I have been becoming more and more serious about purchasing a tractor.

I have been spending $600-$800 a week on labor costs that could be, for the most part, replaced with the purchase of a tractor. I also frequently rent equipment to do tasks that a tractor could do.

I will be using for many things:

1. Moving material (stone, mulch, plants, dirt etc.)

2. Digging out patio and retaining wall footings.

3. Drainage lines.

I have decided that I definitely want to get a bucket in the front and a backhoe.

My other problem is money, I know that I could save up enough cash to purchase the tractor in about a year but I do not want to miss out on all of the money that I could make in a year with that tractor.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it silly to buy a tractor new? (I am leaning towards new because of the 0% financing.)

2. What would be a sufficient amount of horsepower for the tasks I have in mind?

3. I do not have a trailer that can haul a tractor. I am however looking in to buying a large 6 or 7 ton dump trailer with loading ramps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

4. Any suggestions as to what models I should be looking at?

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #12  
Maybe a power-trac? Highly manueverable. Slim design. Not a great choice if you have abusive employees but a fantastic hybrid between a skid steer and a tractor... Also Gehl is very good, but bring your platinum card...

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #13  
When I bought our place about 5 years ago, I bought a used skid steer. After about 6 months, I bought a new tractor. Shortly after that, I sold the skid steer. While the skid steer is better than a tractor for the "broad strokes", it is just too rough for the final finish. Implements are much higher, too.

Look at the John Deere 2000 series -- the bigger ones -- for your needs. I have a 4410, which is the predecessor to the 3320. There are times, doing yard work that I wish I had a slightly smaller tractor. I like the looks of the 2720. Lot's of power, but in a smaller frame.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #14  
1*The 0 percent financing is just a 'come on'.
2*If you look at the fine print you will see that you can get a substantial price cut if you pay cash.
I have purchased 2 new BX Kubotas.
1*Wasn't true with either of them.
2*Wasn't so here either.
There was only one price Cash or o percent financing.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice.
Thanks for the advice guys,

I am heading over to the Massey dealership this afternoon to try out their 2400 series.

Is this tractor powerful enough to scrape off a layers of sod from the ground with the bucket?

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #16  
It should be plenty. Don't forget the toothbar on the loader if you're picking up sod.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #17  
In addition to the toothbar, check out a skid plate for underneath, to protect vulnerable filter, fan, hoses, etc. If you are getting a backhoe, you might also want a thumb. I believe both products are available fron Bro-Tek, which seems to have a good reputation and provides great customer service.

Good luck with your purchase, and happy shopping!

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #19  
tslandscaping,

I am in the business as well. I currently have a John Deere 2305 that is awesome at somethings, like tight quarters and small grading jobs. however, it's no where near enough machine to unload a pallet of sod or stone. if you have those types of plans then you really need to look at something bigger like a 4x20 series in the Deere line up, which is a large chassis compact. the other thing I have grown to dislike about the subcompact is I can't rent implements because the rental yards have equipment that's too big for my tractor....so if you don't need heavy lifting you probably still want to stay away from a subcompact. leasons learned the hard way.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #20  
On the dump trailer as tractor transport. It should work. You just need to get a small enough tractor to fit in the trailer. Most 14k dumps are about 14 foot long. With the tractor in there, there won't be too much room for attachments.

Have you checked for input on places like www.lawnsite.com?

jb