Landscaper looking for some buying advice.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #1  

tslandscaping

I have had a small landscaping business for several years and lately I have been becoming more and more serious about purchasing a tractor.

I have been spending $600-$800 a week on labor costs that could be, for the most part, replaced with the purchase of a tractor. I also frequently rent equipment to do tasks that a tractor could do.

I will be using for many things:

1. Moving material (stone, mulch, plants, dirt etc.)

2. Digging out patio and retaining wall footings.

3. Drainage lines.

I have decided that I definitely want to get a bucket in the front and a backhoe.

My other problem is money, I know that I could save up enough cash to purchase the tractor in about a year but I do not want to miss out on all of the money that I could make in a year with that tractor.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it silly to buy a tractor new? (I am leaning towards new because of the 0% financing.)

2. What would be a sufficient amount of horsepower for the tasks I have in mind?

3. I do not have a trailer that can haul a tractor. I am however looking in to buying a large 6 or 7 ton dump trailer with loading ramps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

4. Any suggestions as to what models I should be looking at?

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #2  
My advice would be if the majority of your jobs are residences of 7000 sqft or less, seriously consider a good used mini skid steer like a Toro dingo, etc... I know this may sound odd coming from a tractor site!

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice.
myyaz23,

I have considered a Dingo. I priced one out earlier in the summer but I thought that they were too small for what I wanted to do.

Most of my jobs are on relatively large properties. I do have to worry about leaving tracks on the pristine lawns though.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #4  
ts land scaping said:
L B

1*I have been spending $600-$800 a week.
2* Is it silly to buy a tractor new?
I am leaning towards new because of the 0% financing.
L B
1*The total payment on my 2 tractors is $450 a month .
Sure beats $2400 to $3200 like you're spending each month don't it!
2*What's silly is to pay more for used than new due to the finance charges on the loan.
L B

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #5  
I have had a small landscaping business for several years and lately I have been becoming more and more serious about purchasing a tractor.

I have been spending $600-$800 a week on labor costs that could be, for the most part, replaced with the purchase of a tractor. I also frequently rent equipment to do tasks that a tractor could do.

I will be using for many things:

1. Moving material (stone, mulch, plants, dirt etc.)

2. Digging out patio and retaining wall footings.

3. Drainage lines.

I have decided that I definitely want to get a bucket in the front and a backhoe.

My other problem is money, I know that I could save up enough cash to purchase the tractor in about a year but I do not want to miss out on all of the money that I could make in a year with that tractor.

1. Is it silly to buy a tractor new? (I am leaning towards new because of the 0% financing.)

2. What would be a sufficient amount of horsepower for the tasks I have in mind?

3. I do not have a trailer that can haul a tractor. I am however looking in to buying a large 6 or 7 ton dump trailer with loading ramps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

4. Any suggestions as to what models I should be looking at?

I'd be looking at something like a Kubota B26 TLB--26 hp(engine), 19.5 hp (pto), hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, weighs 4000 lb with FEL and backhoe.

kubota - B26

I owned a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny, power steering) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft bucket). Didn't have a backhoe on this tractor. Nevertheless, it is one sweet machine. Powerful, nimble, easy to operate in landscaping tasks. Used it to do the landscaping around my new house.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #6  

No, especially since it doesn't get any better than 0% interest.

You might get a used tractor for less than new; but if reliability and up-time is a concern, get new and you know the machine's history. Downtime fixing a tractor is money out of your pocket. Plus if you consider the value of your time time trying to hunt down a good used rig, you'll quickly burn through any savings in lost jobs by tractor shopping.

I've always said that I like to be the first one to **** up a machine, car or house.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #7  
I have a small Kubota 7610HST W/FEL and Woods 750 BH that is just perfect for the type of use you have. It's easy to move around with a small trailer like your thinking also. I recommend looking at this combo for your needs.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #8  
The 0 percent financing is just a 'come on'. If you look at the fine print you will see that you can get a substantial price cut if you pay cash. What you need to do is calculate if borrowing $ from an alternate source and paying at the cash discount rate works out to be a better deal. Even at the 0 percent rate the companies usually ask for a cash deposit.

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #9  
Having grown up on a nursery, currently having several tractors and been on machinery for over 40 years, I say get a Skidsteer type machine for what you are looking to do. Much more manuverable.

Andy

/ Landscaper looking for some buying advice. #10  
Having grown up on a nursery, currently having several tractors and been on machinery for over 40 years, I say get a Skidsteer type machine for what you are looking to do. Much more manuverable.

Andy
Not good on lawns.

Check out the Mahindra tractor website.