??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ???

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #1  

Mcourchesne

Bronze Member
Tractor
09 Masssey Furguson GC2400
Hello folks!

I've read a few threads here and have enjoyed reading many of your topics.

I'm new to the tractor world and would really appreciate your experienced feedback in this discussion.

Background: I have 9 acres of land and mow about 3+ acres. The land is mostly flat with a few hills and slopes. I have a 1/4 mile long gravel driveway which I plan to grade and clear seasonally. I will use the tractor for mowing, grading driveway, snow removal and some yard grading.

What I'm looking for is a tractor with front loader and 54" - 60" mower unless someone steers me otherwise.

Tractors I've seen and appeared to have narrowed down to are(not in order):
(1) Kubota BX2360 with LA243 Loader and 60 mid-mount mower
(2) Massey GC2300 with 2350 loader and 60 mid mount-mower,
(3) John Deere 2320 with 200CX loader and 54D mid-mount mower
(4) Kioti CK20S HST with KL120 front loader and but doesn't support Mid mount???
(5) Bobcat CT122 with 6TL front Loader and mid-mount 54"

Again, I really appreciate your input to these and any additional info. (should I go bigger?)

Things I'm interested in are warranty, financing, quality, longevity and practicality.

Thanks everyone!
MC

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #2  
Lets get you updated with the Massey
The new model is the GC2400 and the loader is a DL100
Massey has about the best financing available with their 0% for 72 months I think they stand alone.

I am also a Kioti dealer and the CK20 is about the best tractor dollar for dollar out of the bunch, but their lack of a belly mower can be a deal breaker.
Kiot does have the best warranty in the industry.
If you can get away with a rear finish mower Kioti will be worth looking at.
Now on the other hand the Bobcat is just a re badged Kioti with less lifting capacity on their loader and a shorter term warranty but they do have a belly mower.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #3  
Although I really like both the Kioti CK20S, and the Bobcat CT122 (same tractor) they are a bit on the heavy side for mowing, and have more limited snow removal options. I have a Kubota B2620 which is the same size, but lighter, and I'm still not sure I want to mow with that. As you noted, front mount snowblowers, and mid mount mowers are not as available as they are for JD, or Kubota. I might opt for the 60" deck on the JD 2320 you are considering, and think it would be a good choice for your chores. The two sub compacts that you mentioned are about equal in ability. The Massey has a larger engine, and the Kubota has more options perhaps. If collecting grass, or leaves is something you would think about, check out the options for material collection on any of your choices. All the tractors you mentioned will do the things you want to do, so it sometimes just boils down to how much you want to spend, and how well you personally like each one. Have lots of fun looking!

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #4  
All good choices, you've listed. I would suggest that you also look at a TYM T233 or T273. They offer a belly mower and a 5 year warranty. Very nicely sized and weighted machine too.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ???
All good choices, you've listed. I would suggest that you also look at a TYM T233 or T273. They offer a belly mower and a 5 year warranty. Very nicely sized and weighted machine too.

I'm not sure about the Japanese Machines....but I do know that Massey and John Deere dealers are 5 miles from my home and Kubota is 15 miles.

Any other ideas, suggestions or comments?

I really appreciate what has been provided so far!

MC

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #6  
Most of the machines you mentioned are Japanese or of Jap origin. Such is the majority of most Compacts. The Kioti/Bobcat is Korean. The Deere likely has a Jap/Yanmar engine. TYM is Korean. I believe the Massey's are Jap/Iseki made. Some dealers can sound off to be sure. The Kubota BX machines are made in the US I think, but the engines are likely Japanese.

Don't be afraid to look at the Cub Cadet/Yanmar sub cuts. They make one VERY similar to the JD2305 and its quite a bit cheaper. The Kubotas and JD's have the attachment thing down better than anyone else.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #7  
I don't think that there is a tractor made at all in the U.S. under 100 HP. Most are either Japanese or Korean. Some are made in India, and the Czech Republic too; maybe a few other places in Europe. TYM is Korean, and they are a huge conglomerate of heavy manufacturing idustries. There is also Montana, where some are LG (also Korean) and some are Daedong (i.e. Kioti/Bobcat). Some claim to be made in the U.S., which really means they are assembled here (wheels, loaders, "attachables", using mostly foreign parts.

The truth is that just about all of them are good quality. The real issue is longevity of brand and the availability of parts over the long haul (e.g. Farmtrac).

The TYM is an awesome tractor; just a good as any of them. But, then so are so many other brands. It's the dealer networks that really set them apart. I recommended the TYM because no one else really has a machine quite like it: size, power, standard features, warranty. It's a full size CUT on a subCUT wheelbase. Standard equipment; QA loader, mid PTO, HST, rear remotes, telescopic 3PH. For the man that finds subCUTS too small and CUTS too big, it's the right answer. The JD2320 is close. Though for a lot more money.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ???
Most of the machines you mentioned are Japanese or of Jap origin. Such is the majority of most Compacts. The Kioti/Bobcat is Korean.

Ahh Sorry Everyone...I meant Korean...as TYM

My issue/concern is in five years, can I find the parts I need? JD, Kubota, Massey, Bobcat...and yes the Cadet/Yanmar are manufacturers that I feel they will be around for a while...and never thought to compare Yanmar. Good point.

Any others?

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #9  
Yea, the BX's are made here. The engines are transmissions are brought in. Chasis, sheet metail, etc are all done here, as is pretty much all Kubota stuff smaller than a B-Series. This is one tractor where the Japaneese company builds a more 'American' product than the 'American' companies do...?

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #10  
I have a Kubota B2620 which is the same size, but lighter, and I'm still not sure I want to mow with that.

I think this is the dilema for many, I know it is for me. I have 7 acres with about 4 acres to mow, no hills or slopes. A few places have a tendency to be a little soft as well. I think a B2620 fits what I would need for getting firewood, using a box blade, and tiller for the garden. However mowing would be the primary task which screams BX or GC for me. The time is creeping up where I'll need a machine and I keep going back and forth on what's best.