??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ???

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #41  
The 3 range tranny would tip in favor of the Kubota, I would think.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #42  
From what you've stated in this post either one of the Kubotas is a clear winner over the JD.
It's a no brainer.
I am in the same boat as you. I mow 2 or 3 acres of lawn. it is not flat. And I bush hog around 10 acres of fields with some pretty steep areas with very wet swampy areas. I have looked at the BX and the JD2305 and even found a couple of used ones that were in great shape for less then $10k but I can just see them not having the traction for my hills or getting it stuck with only 6 inches of ground clearance. I think I have narrowed it down to a JD2320 or a Kubota B2320. The Kubota with a FEL and a 54" MMM is around $1400 cheaper then the Deere. It is a couple of inches shorter and it weighs a little less wich I am thinking is better for mowing the lawn with. The B2620 is $400 cheaper then the JD2320. The John Deere dealer is 3 miles from my house and although there is a Kubota dealer 5 miles away I have got better pricing from the next dealer around 25 miles farther away. The salesman at the John Deere dealer lives just down the street from me and is a really great guy, plus I like green. My heart is telling me to buy the Deere but my conservitive brain is telling me to buy the Kubota. The Kubota salesman is a customer of mine and my step father bought a used B7500 from him.The Kubota's 3 range tranmission I think would be very handy on my steep hills in the fields. I usually borrow my bosses SAME Minni Taures to mow the fields once a year with a 6 foot rotory bush hog. The only problem with that is that it is a alot to mow in one week after work and it almost always rains enough so I cant get into some of the areas. It is also an aircooled 28hp ? tractor and it is ether going to fast and heating up or I feel like I could walk faster. I know a B2320 or a JD2320 with a 4' or a 5' light duty brush hog will take longer to mow with but having it here all the time I can pick and choose the days. The other thing is I have $10k to $12k to spend on a tractor so if I buy new I will have to finance some of it. The Deere will cost more if I fanance it, John Deere credit charges the dealer a particapation fee I will loose a $300 rebate if I take the 0% for 36 month offer. Kubota offers 0% for 60 months with no fees. I have considered a Massy or a Kioti but with out a MMM or a dealer anywhere near me I think I am going to pass on those. I also have a gravel driveway over 500 ft long and want to do alot of other projects.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #43  
Wow maybe I missed the boat all together?

What is the significant difference between the B and the BX series? Is it increase in size and price? Is the the B as nimble as the BX..I thought they were the same except size?

MC

They are very similar. I've owned a BX for many years and really loved it. The B 2620 I now have is slightly bigger but sure feels much bigger and is less nimble. For mowing why would anyone need/want the bigger tractor. It is the size of the deck that speeds up the job and the B doesn't offer any bigger deck. If you need to go around many trees or bushes the B makes the job harder. Now for tractor/loader work the B will do more in less time. Depending on what you do most will tip a person to the BX or B side of Kubota. The B does have cruise control and 3 speed hydrostatic and a few other little details which are nice.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #44  
I don't think there is much difference between them, IOW the market has leveled itself.
They're all assembled from essentially the same components; Mitsubishi, Yanmar, etc. with different emblems and paint colors.
As to who will "be there for you" 5, 10, 25 years from now ???
Ask any Oldsmobile owner, or Pontiac for that matter, but Chevvy parts still fit.
Wix (or someone) will probably still be selling oil filters through NAPA (or someone) in the 25 year time horizon.

Right now I'm thinking a good Model M would be a far better buy, likely to retain it's value, with parts availability, etc.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ???
Thanks everyone for their help, advise and insight on the road traveled. Here's how I came to my conclusion.

1. Contacted JD. They quoted me a competitive price on a 2320 but wasn't really interested in giving me a price on the 2305. I asked again and they opted to give me a 1 % discount on the larger tractor. No deals on service or attachments so I took that into consideration as well as limited financing.

2. Contacted Kubota and they gave me a competitive price on the BX and B series. They also let me test drive them both which JD was reluctant to do. Not much for wiggle room or financing.

3. Contacted Massey and gave me price. Gave him Kubota price and they matched it. They also offered to fill the tires, 2 welded 5/16 hooks onto front bucket, free transport to our home, free 50 hour maintenance, free rear 3pt hitch to 2" ball receiver, free future pick up/delivery for any maintenance needed on tractor, extra fuel filter and extra oil filter. gave me a deal on the 60" MMM as well as the 2340 dozer blade.

So...all in all I went and bought the GC2400. I looked at the M series and talked with the guy and mentioned I've never heard anyone complain of too big of a tractor. The dealer did say that he truly felt the tractor was enough for the yard/my needs and if in a few years if I felt I was steered wrong, he'd give me top dollar for the trade in and offer the larder tractor for a considerable discount. The dealer has been around since the 1950's and feel confident they'll be around for a while.

Thanks Daryl and MDM for your consistent feedback and to everyone else who participated. This has helped me tremendously and can't thank this site and it's members enough!

Now my toughest decision...Turf tires or R4 industrial tires :eek:

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #46  
Good job. With the length of your driveway and considering your snowremoval, go with the R4s. I'm mowing with a 3000 lb machine and they don't tear up my yard.

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ???
Good job. With the length of your driveway and considering your snowremoval, go with the R4s. I'm mowing with a 3000 lb machine and they don't tear up my yard.

That's what I'm nervous about. Will it eat up the yard...I wish I could see some photos of this.

I mean to be brutally honest, I don't have Kentucky Blue Grass but more like a mix of Tri-Rye and Massachusetts Crab Grass but it's green, hearty and manageable. :p

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #48  
I have a buddy that has the GC2310 with the R4 and he claims they don't tear up his yard. Congratulations on your tractor. I have no doubt you will enjoy it. Like I said in my previous post, I don't think you could have gone wrong picking between the big 3 (JD, MF and Kubota). I think you did good! :p

Troy

/ ??? Comparing New Compact Tractors ??? #49  
That's what I'm nervous about. Will it eat up the yard...I wish I could see some photos of this.

I mean to be brutally honest, I don't have Kentucky Blue Grass but more like a mix of Tri-Rye and Massachusetts Crab Grass but it's green, hearty and manageable. :p

Here's what tears up grass;
WET grass & TIGHT turns.
This is as true of my unloaded turf tires as it is my loaded R4s - Yes, I have a set of each.
It is the FRONT tires that do the tearing, I've even torn WET grass with front turf tires when the back hoe has been on and that is about as light as my front axle gets.
Basically it is front tire PLOWING that does it, so the tip for you (as a new tractor owner) is;
Just because you CAN turn that sharply doesn't mean you SHOULD turn that sharply (on lawns).
Make 3 point, 5 point, 7, 9 or 23 point turns and don't turn the wheel when the tractor isn't rolling.
Pretend like you don't have power steering and that you only have 1/2 the steering lock you actually have.

Your lawn will LUV you.

OTOH, if one of your projects is lawn replacement go ahead rip it up with tight turns just after a rain, but learn how to not do that so that when you have done your new lawn it will STAY a lawn.

(-: