Used CUT prices in current recession

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
Wondering if those of you who see a lot of used CUT sales are seeing lower prices right now, and if you think the prices will rise when, if, the economy picks up.

Right now, here in California, looks like I could find a 30hp hydro with FEL and scraper, under 500 hours, for around $12000 or less. I can barely afford that- but if prices jump this summer or fall, I'll be out of the market for this size unit altogether.

Don't like the idea of taking advantage of hard economic times, but I have to stretch my dollars, like everyone else. Maybe now's the time to buy, maybe I should save my pennies for later.

Seems like there are a lot of tractors for sale out there right now.

What's your sense of what's going on in the market?

JG

Last edited:
   / Used CUT prices in current recession #2  
That is a natural! When the economy is strong prices rise!

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #3  
A couple of things,

prices are usually lower this time of year, and go up in the spring.

if interest rates on new equipment goes back up this will yield higher used prices

the economy especially in your area can have a marked effect on prices

don't expect to find that much of a bargain if you wait, reason is these small
tractors can be easily and inexpensively shipped for sale in better markets.

As for buying now or waiting until later, I wouldn't buy a tractor if there was a chance it might cause any type of financial hardships later on. That said I don't think you are going to save money by waiting either.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #4  
I havent really seen any smokin deals... Any used tractor worth buying seems to be bringing good money just like before.
I may be a little off because the tractor market in the North East is typically very strong when it comes to pricing...

Its still cheaper to go buy a brand new one right now.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #5  
I've been closely following used tractor prices on several sites for over a year.

Comparing prices I've found on my ride and B7800's, prices have risen by about 10% at least from last spring for "good looking" B7610's and B7800's.

Take advantage of hard economic times if you can afford it.

Buy low, don't sell.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession
Hi Newbury-

How does $11,500 sound for a B7800HST with 350 hours, FEL and box scraper? Should I break my piggy bank and rob the local office of the Fed?

Just kidding- I'd need to do some 'creative financing' to scrape up the cash, but I could, just wondering if this is my last opportunity to get a machine like this at a price like this.

JG

Last edited:
   / Used CUT prices in current recession #7  
Hi Newbury-

How does $11,500 sound for a B7800HST with 350 hours, FEL and box scraper? Should I break my piggy bank and rob the local office of the Fed?

Just kidding- I'd need to do some 'creative financing' to scrape up the cash, but I could, just wondering if this is my last opportunity to get a machine like this at a price like this.

JG

Good price, if in good shape, in the same neighborhood I got 2 years ago ($13000 for what is in my sig, minus box blade and forks).

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #8  
Don't like the idea of taking advantage of hard economic times.....

Are you saying that if someone loses their job and needs to sell their
tractor, you would refuse to buy it even if the increased supply of
tractors has caused the prices to drop? How is that a good thing for
the seller OR buyer?

I have certainly seen price drops here in the Northern half of CA on
new and used machines, even on the very popular 30+hp HST CUTs.
Even some of the live auctions have sold some nice units very cheap.

Will prices go up come spring? I feel they will, but I have no crystal ball.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #9  
Even in the best of general economic times there are people in bad economic straits. I bought my Kubota B2320 HST in August of 2009 when the tractor had 125 hours, with the FEL and 60" MMM for $12,000.00. The original owners paid $16,100.00 for it in April 2008 (I have the original bill of sale) and I get the rest of the factory warranty. The couple was getting a divorce and I was paying cash.