Used CUT prices in current recession

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #11  
Right now, here in California, looks like I could find a 30hp hydro with FEL and scraper, under 500 hours, for around $12000 or less.
Where are you looking to find these.. auctions, craigslist, newspaper??

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #12  
My personal observation is that construction equipment resale prices are really down but not so much for compact tractors. My guess is this is due to small contractors really hurting because people are putting off larger projects. At the same time, homeowners with some land are looking at doing these jobs themselves and are buying the equipment needed.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #13  
I watch eBay, as an evening pastime, being that TV doesn't hold much interest, most of the time. I have observed a couple trends, FWIW

1. Small cuts are very, very rare. Most of the listings are for slightly larger cuts.
2. Older stuff (more than 6 years old) languishes a bit, doesn't sell, and/or doesn't bring the seller's desired price.
3. Open bidding on subcuts and cuts generally is not bringing the seller's reserved price. If the auction has no reserve, the final selling price is well below value.

Conclusion? It is rather obvious that price support is very, very weak. With genuine unemployment at 15%, the market is quite soft. I would think boats, snowmobiles, Quads, motorcycles, etc would all be seen as very soft.

None of this should be a surprise in these very uncertain and settling times. The market presents great bargains, where found, and where "cash is king".

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #14  
Jeff, in the Texas Gulf Coast area, we're seeing manufacturer's tend to cut sales levels than profit margins. In other words, they'd rather lay off workers than to sell for less.

The result of that is just now starting to show up in the used equipment market. According to the news the other day the national unemployement rate is around 17.5%. Not much different here.

The best bargains that I've seen are at auctions suchs as Iron Planet. I think IP sells off a lot of rental equipment, including CUT's. Craigslist prices are sparodic. I recommend that you hit some of your local auctions and list your wants on Iron Planet for the best price savings.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #15  
Here in Northern Illinois it seems like the prices are holding fairly steady. Been looking at 18 - 25 HP CUT with FEL and MMM for 3- 4 months and finally purchased one two weeks ago. I was doing pricing comparisons of similar models nation wide and didn't see a huge difference in most cases. NOTE: This was Kubotas and John Deere model mainly.

Roy

/ Used CUT prices in current recession
Craigslist in Cal. is where I'm seeing 30hp hydro 4x4 CUTs with loader for about $12k

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #17  
If you have any doubt about the decline in 30+ CUT/loader prices,
just go to eBay and scan the Completed Listings for "Kubota Tractor
Loader" and you will see that the few deals that were successful were
very low prices. Most listings could not get decent bids.

I have sold several tractors on eBay and several on Craigs, and never
failed to get a good price either way. I WILL, however, wait until at
least spring before I put my new Bobcat tractor up for sale.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #19  
My personal observation is that construction equipment resale prices are really down but not so much for compact tractors. My guess is this is due to small contractors really hurting because people are putting off larger projects. At the same time, homeowners with some land are looking at doing these jobs themselves and are buying the equipment needed.
I could see that, I am a homeowner who could put one to use for snow removal and mowing. Right now I contract out the snow removal and mowing takes me several days using a walk behind brush mower, it's a work out.
I could go on like that for several more years but the convenience of having a small tractor would be nice. I don't find any used ones with a cab and have been looking at new but wanted something for 30K or under with cab & loader.

Contractors in the area are telling me their equipment prices have fallen way off.

/ Used CUT prices in current recession #20  
This is what I see as a dealer. Since 2008 buyers walking through the door are down around 40%, bills and overhead are up about 18% that says the remaining sales have to cover the loss. The down and dirty is where I could have cut the price to make a sale and use volume to make up before I can’t now. So I have to hold my price more than ever, actually they have increased.
Plus 0% programs on new equipment increase the real price of used equipment. For example if you said to me what can I buy for 300 a month? In a used tractor you would be in the 14 to 15k range. But the same payment and months will buy a 19 to 20k new tractor. The difference is interest. Demand is the biggest driver for pricing. In a slow economy used equipment has the perception of savings so the demand for them goes up. Demand right now, at least for me, in used tractors, is higher which has driven my prices up to acquire them but consumer buying power is way down so even though the price is high they are not moving like two years ago. Which brings me back to my first paragraph.
There is always misfortune to take advantage of, even more in a bad market but one thing is always the same. You can either afford it or you can’t. If you cant afford it in a good market you really cant afford it in a down market.

Buck