Need advice on used tractor purchase

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #11  
"You can find a cheaper 4' mower for around $300"
I don't think I would want to use a new rotary cutter that sold for 300.00.
You pretty get what you pay for in a rotary cutter. Spend 600.00 and it will outlast 5 or 6 of the 300.00 ones.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #12  
I had a YM195 Yanmar diesel. My dad purchased new from a Ford dealer in 1978. I sold it when it had about 1600 hours on it. It was a great tractor. 19 hp. Never gave me any problem except front spindles one time. It had a FEL which I think was too big for a 2 wd tractor and spindles broke once. Only problem I ever had.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #13  
As has been said, this is a grey market tractor. Yanmar did make some for us market, but not the YM2200. But that doesn't make them bad either. I have a YM1700, bush hog about 5 to 6 acres all the time. And use a rear blade to do my drive, and a dirt scoop. It does the job just fine. John Deere inported over 100,000 of them by 1986, so that should tell you something, fact is they still make a lot of the compacts for John Deere. And as far as the man haveing a problem with his PTO on his John Deere, any car or tractor can have a problem, made here or Japan. It has 3 or 4 ptos speeds on it, use the #1 or lowest speed as it is what our attactments use in this country. No problem with parts, many dealers on the Yanmar forum can get you anything you might need, I say might, as they have very little problems.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #14  
Oh and another thing, I don't know where the guy got $700, you said $3600, and then with tires and bush hog $4095, that adds up to $495, a good price for a bush hog and tires.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #15  
I am pro-gray market, to start with and have looked at many yannies and Isekis with the intention to buy. Along with all the other good advice, I would make sure you have a mechanic/shop lined up that could do serious work if the need arises. Using the internet it is not hard to find most parts for these rigs - but few weekend warriors are equipped or able to split a tractor, or take off a head etc. So it is nice to know you have a backup plan should something serious occur down the road. Hang out at the Yanmar forum for more detailed things to look for when making the final test drive.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #16  
You might want to think twice about the tax deal, unless you are legitimately growing for profit saveing those few dollars is never worth the risk of batteling the IRS /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #17  
Five String, I think you are partially correct. It really does not matter at all to me WHO is correct as long as we get the proper info to the new user in the end. Yanmar most certainly Did make tractors for and sell them in the USA. The 2200 is a model that without the full designation I can not tell personally if it is a gray or not. I am not assumeing it is a YM2200. I do know theese were two cylinder models and VERY poular. Most of the Gray market machines do come with a 2 pth and are converted in the usa when imported. I think we also need to clarify that just because a tractor was made in Japan, gray or otherwise it certainly does not mean it spent its working life in Japan and not, China, Malaysa, Vietnam etc. Where it was re-imported from is any ones guess unless you bring a container in yourself. Additionally if the engine is 22 hp it is likely 17-19 pto hp not more than the engine rateing, it would be nice if it worked that way though. In the end there is no right or wrong only right or wrong for the buyer. I think the sad tale is that many unkowingly buy a gray. Others get a great buy as they know exactly what they want and are getting. Take your time and do your research. This was a great step. Kindest Regards

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #18  
"He was very helpful and told me according to his book the tractor was made in 1976 and had 17 HP at the PTO. "

If it was made in 1976 for USofA, it was mandated by law to have a ROPS. Law went into effect for all tractors in the USofA after 1973 according to all literature I've read. If it doesn't have ROPS or mounts, it's grey.
Jap tractor designations (except Kubota) - model number has the PTO hp. YM2200 has 22 hp at the PTO. YM1700 - 17 hp at the PTO. BR549 - 54 hp at the PTO. It will have 3-6 more at the engine depending on transmission, PS, etc.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #19  
I agree with you but probably not going to get a $600 cutter with this deal, probably the cheapest model available.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #20  
The implement/tire deal does not sound that great to me. Saveing $ and getting the least expensive implements often is a unpleasant experience. I do think that if this is a YM2000 that about $3600 is a median price, not a great buy, not over priced. IF everything is in proper working order. Also some Gray dealers warrant their machines for a few months. I show this model at 24 hp so I guess there are too many configureations to guess, Ym2000, Ym2000B, Ym2000BD etc.