Need advice on used tractor purchase

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #31  
Here's a few.... There are many more here on TBN.

Sutton Tractor
6709 North I-35
Edmond, Oklahoma 73034
(405) 340-0268
Grey Market Tractor Parts
1-800-700-GREY
SuttonTractor2@hotmail.com
Rainbow Distributors Inc.
2009 Homerule Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
Phone: (808) 841-6203
Fax: (808) 847-1623
raindist@aol.com
Rainbow Distributors Inc.
Hoye Tractor
Stan in Texas, Wally in Iowa
940-636-3910 - Main Number
940-636-3914 - Parts Number
hoyetractor@aol.com
www.hoyetractor.com
Homestead Tractor
22311 Bear Valley Road
Apple Valley, California 92308
Telephone: 760-240-1062
Fax: 760-240-1126
hstractor@earthlink.net
Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractors Inc.
320 Palmyra Road
Dixon, Illinois 61021
Telephone: 815-284-3226
Fax: 815-284-5050
sheaftractor@coiinc.com
Southern Global Tractor
230 North Magnolia drive
Wiggins, MS 39577
Toll-free: 866-742-5748
Telephone: 601-928-7491
Fax: 601-528-9312
acker@ebicom.net
Sonny's Farm & Home Supply
1733 N 200 W
Portland, Indiana 47371
Phone (260) 726-2808
http://sonnys_bolens.tripod.com/index.htm
EFC Equipment LLC
1243 Montana
Richland, Wa 99301
509-374-3398 shop
509-521-1507 24hr service
www.efcconstruction.com
Farm Equipment Headquarters
Pendleton, Oregon
1-800-545-5395
parts@farmequipmenthdqts.com
Valley Power Products, Inc.
3646-5 Aerial Way Drive,
Roanoke, Va. 24018
800-609-5110, vppinc@rev.net or
540-345-9650

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #32  
<font color="blue"> I found out that Yanmar will not knowningly supply parts for a gray market tractor. They sited safety issues as the reason. </font>

They aren't allowed to. Whether that is mandated by law or simple fear of lawsuits, they won't do it because (as has been mentioned) the tractor was not built to US specs. The reason they are called "gray market" is that it was imported either illegally or was imported "used".

I'm sure you can find parts (whether easily or not I don't know), but finding someone to work on it also might be an issue. Dealers generally won't, for the same liability issues that the manufacturer won't. If you're real handy that might not apply but while I have no fear of ripping my truck apart I'd be hesitant to split a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

"Gray"s have lots of fans (as shown), but I looked into them and decided they weren't for me. But they will save you money up front.

(This thread isn't long for this board /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It'll have to grow by a factor of at least ten to be a big 'un.)

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #33  
Well, in the first place, if you want to know about Yanmars the place to go is the Yanmar forum. They are only one of many tractors, so here most of the people will not be yanmar owners as there are so many other brands. And I guess everyone thinks his brand is the best. I don't think you are giving Yanmar a fair shake, but it don't matter. those of us that have them are happy with them anyway. I can see you must not have go a hold of Len that I sent you the email of. like if I were going to look into John Deere, I would go to the John Deere forum, they know them the best.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #34  
<font color="blue"> Well, in the first place, if you want to know about Yanmars the place to go is the Yanmar forum. </font>

Excellent advice, and the rest of the post is also true. It is the same thing we used to see with Chevy / Ford / Dodge discussions, and then having to add in the Toyotas (etc.) to the mix. Everyone has their own loyality and the best experts on a given brand are the folks that own 'em.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #35  
I agree - if you want to know about Yanmars, go to the Yanmar forum...there you can get a biased opinion that I agree with!!! You know, I had some concerns when I purchased my first Yanmar over 4 years ago, and when I asked the dealer I bought it from "What about getting parts?" he said "Well, first you gotta need 'em." That has proven to be very true; Yanmars are extremely reliable tractors. All common parts such as filters, fluids, batteries, tires, seats, belts, hoses, etc. are available from many sources, some probably local to you (i.e. take your old belt/hoses to Napa/Autozone and get new ones). Radiators can be repaired/recored at many places; plastic fuel tanks can be repaired at an RV store (plastic welding). Light bulbs are available from Kawasaki dealerships. Alternators can be rewound or you can take the old one to a parts store and get one that's close and it will work. Starters, injection pumps and waterpumps can be rebuilt either locally or by shipping them off, most of the time with a 1 or 2 week turnaround. Or you can call Leonard Sheaffer and always get the right part the first time (or many other grey-knowledgable Yanmar dealers - but Len is my favorite). I often discover that when folks say "You can't get parts" they have never looked anywhere. This is the internet age, for crying out loud. You can find parts for almost anything, and certainly for Yanmars.

Owning a grey market tractor does require a different level of owner responsiblity; if you don't feel comfortable, say, installing a new seat that might require buying a couple of pieces of steel or unistrut from a hardware store and doing a little drilling, then don't buy a grey market tractor. If you feel like you absolutely, positively have to have dealer support and the perfect manual for your tractor do not buy a grey market tractor. However, if you're a skinflint and think that penny candy is way overpriced and you like to try to haggle at the 99 cent store, and you want to learn how to work on a tractor, get a grey market tractor. For one thing, the Yanmars, particularly the YM series, use only about three different fasters: a 10mm, 13 mm, and 19 mm. Almost everything is accessible and the tractor is small, light and non-intimidating to work on. You can remove the flip up hood with two bolts and a clip from the wiring harness, there's the whole engine (maybe you have to use a couple of wingnuts to take off the side panels on some models). The radiator can be off in 10 minutes or less, now you're to the water pump, unless it's a thermosiphon system and then you don't even have that to worry about. One of the most gratifying things that can be done, in my opinion, is to accomplish mechanic work yourself. Remember, mechanics are just folks like you and me, ususally only separated by four things: tools, time, facilities and training. You can spend less than $100 and get 99% of the tools you need to work on a Yanmar from Harbor Freight; you'll have to decide if you have the time to work on a tractor - I think that it is time well spent; a Yanmar tractor is small - you can throw up a 10 x 12 building and now you have a place to work on the tractor - how nice that 10 x 12 is up to you, but a simple shelter could be made for less that $250. Training - buy a $50 parts book and a $50 I&T manual and get to training. By buying the Yanmar and saving $1000s over a non-grey tractor, you can spend a small portion of that (investing it) in tools, building and books and now you are a bona fide tractor mechanic. If you can find this site, you can find parts for your Yanmar.

If you do suffer catastrophic failure (blown head gasket, cracked block, bad tranny etc) there are several parts tractor available at dealers/importers of grey tractors: it may be a little expensive, but they can be had. I would say that would be a doubtful occurance, but it can happen.

Man, did I go on a rant or what. Yanmar Power!!!

In the end, do a little more research, listen to all the opinions offered here and elsewhere and do what makes you happy. Good luck.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #36  
GO TIM, GO TIM, GO TIM!

I agree with everything except the name Yanmar. Everywhere you have Yanmar, Iseki can be put there also - Yanmar/Iseki.

rtimgray, do you like Yanmars??? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Saving thousands of $$$$ over name brand is correct.

It's like owning a Chevrolet or a Beemer. Chevy will do all a Beemer can do for thousands $$$ cheaper.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #37  
Hey, Yanmar-Iseki, Iseki-Yanmar, any way you want to go. I've seen some nice Iseki's, but never driven one. I've driven some Hinomotos, Mitsubishis and a Shibaura (one that came with a FEL and 4wd and it was $2800 and I passed it up - I'm an idiot). All of the Japanese-made greys seem to be of good to excellent quality. The only thing that Yanmars have over any of the other models is that Yanmar was once sold in America for the American market, so there is something of a dealer network.

However, if you can find your own parts (or parts that work), how much to you really need a dealer.

Thanks for the support.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase
Good post rtimgray,

And sad to say I fit the model of the skinflint pretty well. And I am also pretty handy with tools. I once put an old C Farmall back together that I had pretty well broke in two. The good part was that used parts were plentiful and cheap.

I did contact "sheaftractor@coiinc.com" to ask about parts availbility for the Yanmar. I asked about replacing the water pump. This is part of his reply, "THE ym2200 IS AN EARLY 70'S TRACTOR. There are more parts that are not available on this model than on later models. Engine bearings, waterpump , & voltage regulator are not available new from Yanmar. I do have a parts tractor and rebuild parts for less than $100."

I asked about the water pump because I know a fellow who had a Massy 65 for sale and I went to look at it. I thought it was too big for my purposes. I told him about the Yanmar. he shook his head and said he wouldn't buy it. He went on to tell me that he had owned a Japanese tractor (not a Yanmar) and the water pump had went out. He said he wound up having to order one from Japan. He said it took a long time to get it and it cost him $400 dollars. He said he fixed it and immediatly sold it.

I still believe the Yanmars are good little tractors, but I still think I will pass on this one.

And yes, I'm still cheap, but I was a lot younger, stronger, and a lot more patient, when I repaired that old Farmall.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #39  
Sounds like a good descision. You will do well to steer away from those who would suggest any mechanical thing will not break down just because its brand X. Not very realistic. To those who suggested this poster should have gone to the Yanmar forum you might want to consider that perhaps occasionally some folks want unbiased advice. The pros and the cons so they can make a simple informed descision. When I shopped I actuall checked parts as well, the results were not favorable TO ME. To the next guy I'm sure it might have been a ok. Best wishes in the tractor hunt !

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #40  
Unbiased, come on, the ones on here are biased to the big names. You know that as well as I do. And the big names are good, but so are some of the other ones. But to each his own, and we all have to decide for ourselves, what is best for us. And I still say to find out about a John deere, go to that forum and they will know that tractor better than someone who has never had one. Or any other make you may want to know about.