Need advice on used tractor purchase

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #21  
He said it was a 2200, not a 2000. Which is 22 at the PTO and is 26 at the drawbar. I got a 4 ft bush hog with mine, I think it was $495, for it, and the guy might be giveing him a good price, some do. My bush hog is a good heavy one and is holding up real good.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #22  
But I would offer him a little less, its probably just a tad high, but condition is where its all at, and we havn't seen it. It might be worth every penny of it, or not, but all he can say is no he won't take less, but then again what if he does?

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase
The 4 ft mower was $495 according to the salesman.

Today, still nosing around, I stopped by another dealer. I told the salesman about the Yanmar. He said they were quality tractors but they were impossible to get parts for. He said there was one in their shop in three pieces and it had been there for two months and they could not get the parts to fix it. Yet according to the posts this thread has received parts are no problem at all. Now I know he could have been giving me a snow job hoping to sell me something he had, but he didn't seem the type to do that. Both those opinions can't be right.

This thread is getting a little long.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #24  
Why don't you go down to the Yanmar forum, and see what they say. There is a lot of dealers on it and you can get I believe just about any part that you might want or need. If I hadn't of been able to get parts for one, I sure wouldn't have bought one, as I am on SS and don't have the money to play with, that some may have.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #25  
I would think saying parts are no problem at all is a bit of a streeeetch. All mechanical things are prone to failure. Its also important to remember there is a big difference between haveing Parts and the old , Hay no problemo I can GET it ! This is true for ALL brands. When I had 10 hours on my 2210 the PTO shaft snapped in two. Poof I was out of buisiness with $500 of seed setting waiting to get in the ground. There was not a single one in the USA. JD had to Fed Ex one from Japan but it sat in Customs for three weeks. The result was a very poor crop for my deer this summer. Parts are one of the areas that accopunt for the lower cost of the unit and in the end you just have to decide what you are comfortable with at what price point. I was in your shoes once and I decided it was not for me, as you see others have made a different choice and are equally as happy.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #26  
sheaftractor@coiinc.com If you have any doubt about parts email this guy, and I believe he can get you any part you may need, and manuals also. I haven't heard of any part he hasn't been able to supply. But do what you want, I'm happy with my Yanmar and would buy another one in a minute if I needed a tractor. As I'm 70 I don't need a lot of problems and need one to be worked on much. But with anything you can have break downs, but it will be rare if you buy a good tractor like a Yanmar. That is all of my 2 cents worth.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #27  
I have heard from several sources that certain engine parts can be ordered through Yanmar marine dealers. Overall I would think it fair to say you should be able to get parts. They will likely take longer to get and be more expensive. They are/were quality machines but as with any used item it is all contigent on its current condition. my 2 cents worth /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #28  
Sounds like a good price to me. I paid 4600 for a Mitsubishi D1800 with tiller. It is placarded 18 hp at the pto, and the dealer had converted it to 3 point hitch. That site given above, is a good place to do business. Len Shaeffer rebuilt my fuel pump and it only took a couple of weeks. I was happy with the repair and the price. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat, but if you are the least bit skeptical, you can always send a sample of the engine oil and the transmission fluid out for anayalsis.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #29  
Regarding parts, definately talk to Len - he may calm your nerves. But beyond that, I would simply 'try to actually get a part' before you buy. Contact len and other sources found on the web, ask for a typical part that might break - hydraulic pump, radiator, water pump, injectors, head gasket, head, clutch assbly, etc...see what the cost and wait time is - that will give you a real indication. It doesnt cost much to call around. Awhile back I was getting really close to buying a particular Mitubishi gray, and then the dealer called back and started to try to push me toward a different tractor he had, instead of the mitsu. So I disguised my voice can called back asking about the mitsu, to find that it had problems with the hydraulics and would take 2 months to have the pump rebuilt. EEK - i almost bought that tractor!!!!

Buyer beware, and good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase
The parts availability concerns me. I looked up Yanmar parts on the web. I found out that Yanmar will not knowningly supply parts for a gray market tractor. They sited safety issues as the reason. Then, I looked for other suppliers who might supply parts for gray market tractors, and perhaps there are some out there, but I had a problem finding one. One thing you can be sure of, old tractors are going to have parts fail if they are used very much. I figure a great price for a tractor will mean very little if you can't get a part for it. I would imagine some parts are fairly easy to find, but I'll just bet others are very hard to come by. I remember reading about how a tractor dealer came to the price a used farm tractor or garden tractor was worth. Being able to get parts was the most important item in his formula. That being said, I have thought it over and have decided not to buy that Yanmar. The bad part is I know Yanmar makes a good product and it was a tough old tractor.

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I'll keep on looking.

Clay