New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma

/ New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma
Richard,
The FEL and grapple are controlled by these valves below.
That valve is an after market valve I bought from Ronald at Ranchhand Supply. It has power beyond (like the dump trailer valve) and has float and rapid regen. It's much better than the stock ZL-20 FEL valve. It's attached via a custom mount to her right FEL tower. It has a joystick control for the FEL and an electric over hydraulic solenoid valve to control the grapple. There is a rocker switch on the joystick handle for open and close of the grapple. It is plumbed to be a true third function operation. If you "feather" the FEL valve to restrict flow, you can operate dump/curl/raise/lower and the grapple all at the same time. Realistically, there is not enough flow to operate them all at the same time, but feathering the FEL valve properly will allow you to do it.

I had intended to use the stock ZL-20 FEL valve for her hydraulic side links at first.
So I made a bracket to mount it on the right side. But it started malfunctioning and I have since removed it and sent it to Mariner who will fix it and use it on his Jinma. There is also a stock rear remote valve and one set of rear remotes that came on her tractor. I found that valve to be just as crappy so I am replacing that one as well. Those two valves are what the new Prince stack valve will be replacing. The Prince has power beyond on it as well. Here are some photos of the the valves that will be replaced. I'll need to make another bracket for the dual sets of rear remotes.

The rear end on her Jinma will end up looking different than stock.
All of the turnbuckle top and side links will be replace with hydraulic cylinders. Here are pictures of the stock set up.

If I can get the Double pilot operated check valves to fit the side links, they will all have them on it. DPOCV's guard against leak down of the valve and also keeps the cylinder in the exact position you set it. Having them hard plumbed right on the cylinder will keep the cylinder in position even if she blew a hose.
With "Top and Tilt", she will have the ability to reposition here top link and side links "On the Fly". This is especially handy for setting and controlling the rear implement, especially a box blade when doing grading or road work.

/ New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma #24  
Rob, Looks good! Sounds good! I like the hydraulic dump trailer. Your modifacation allowing more bucket curl [on another thread] is very good and is what I need. I see there are boots on some valves. Did the origional FEL valve have a boot? Mine didn't have one I wonder if it was meant to. Richard

Thanks Richard,
Yes, the original FEL valve had a rubber boot on it.
Here are some comparison photos of the replacement valve from Ranchhand Supply and also a couple threads about the valves. One is installing the Ranchhand valve and one is a comparison of the two valves. They look similar but the Ranchhand valve is far superior. Others have that valve installed and noticed the same.
The silver one is the Ranchhand Supply valve and the black one is the OEM ZL-20 valve.

Here are the two threads:
ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison
RanchHand Supply FEL Valve for Jinma 284

/ New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma #26  
Next thing I got started on was the Top and Tilt.
I ordered a 4 spool stack valve from Surplus center with power beyond. Of course they sent me the wrong outlet section so they are shipping me the power beyond sleeve. But here is the assembly of that new valve. You lay it down on the side with the tie rod bolts sticking up and place each section in the order you want. I got 3 sections that are spring loaded returning to center and one that is detented. Then you place the "O" rings between each section and torque it up to 150 inch pounds.

Nice pix of the stack valves before they are assembled. I wish I had take
pix of mine way back when. Did you get any of the optional features for
any of the work sections, like float or detents?

Are you going to modify your cyls for the TnT, or just use the lengths you
bought?

Looks great!

/ New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma #27  
Richard,
The Prince 4 spool valve will not operate the grapple nor the FEL.
The Prince 4 spool valve is to operate the hydraulic top link and the 2 hydraulic side links. Then one spool is left to operate rear remotes. In reality, I will plumb the 2 side links directly to the new valve. The other 2 spools will go to 2 sets of rear remotes with quick disconnects on a bulkhead. I will use one of the rear remotes mostly for her top link which leaves the remaining one open for a hydraulic attachment on the 3pt. That one is detented so we can run the log splitter off it. However, if she doesn't need the top link on, she will 2 rear remotes available.
For example, she doesn't need the top link when using the post hole digger, back hoe or dump trailer. But of course there is no hydraulic need for those implements.

The hydraulic Dump Trailer already has a single acting valve plumbed to run it. It sits on her left rear fender and I installed that one last year.

Hey Rob maybe when you retire you can come up to Canada and give me a hand, wait a minute you are retired:D

Nice work as always.

So the single valve is an open spool which comes from your power beyond [i assume] So my question is from the exit port of the single valve did that then go to the new valve set up or did you make that valve completely separate from the single valve?

Shane

Nice pix of the stack valves before they are assembled. I wish I had take
pix of mine way back when. Did you get any of the optional features for
any of the work sections, like float or detents?

Are you going to modify your cyls for the TnT, or just use the lengths you
bought?

Looks great!
Thanks Dave,
I got one of the four sections to be a detented section.
That one is for the true rear remote so we can run the log splitter from it as well as any other hydraulic implement.
I will use the lengths as they are. I think the top link has an 8" or 10"stroke (it's from CCM) and the side links have 6" strokes.

Hey Rob maybe when you retire you can come up to Canada and give me a hand, wait a minute you are retired:D

Nice work as always.

So the single valve is an open spool which comes from your power beyond [i assume] So my question is from the exit port of the single valve did that then go to the new valve set up or did you make that valve completely separate from the single valve?

Shane

Hi Shane,
You know I've never been to Canada and always wanted to visit there.
A trip up there to help you out could be in the future. I've gone to New Mexico to visit and help Larry G before.

The single valve is a single spool valve and is single acting for her dump trailer. It has a power beyond port where I feed the next valve in line which will be the new 4 spool stack valve I'm now installing. The exit port on the single valve returns back to sump (tank). I have a couple "T"s for all the return to sump lines for the valves with power beyond. When you have a valve with power beyond, you use that port to feed the next valve and it will always need a return to sump. If you don't have power beyond, then the exit line is used to feed the next valve in line, but that is not the proper way to plumb the system. Always use power beyond to feed the next valve in line.

/ New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma #30  
I am trying to understand hydraulics but man everytime you think you understand it, there is a different way to do it.:confused:

You guys should come up for a visit, i am 5 mins. from the falls, and have lots of room. You would love it. Me i have been here all my life so the novelty has worn off a bit. But that is okay it is still a beautiful place.

Shane