Sub soiler on a FEL

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #1  

dex3361

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm
I was working today in the garage on a few projects like a Skid Steer Quick Detach By # point hitch and I think it turned out ok. I will have to await till it warms up to paint it though. I tried out a sub soiler that I adapted to go on in the forward direction. I am going to use the sub soiler to tear out roots and pop out rocks. I think I will need to be careful because of the mechanical advantage the subsoiler has, it will not be as capable as it is on the 3 point hitch, but it will be useful in a different way.

Attachments

• HPIM179a.jpg
    HPIM179a.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 924
  • HPIM1796a.jpg
    HPIM1796a.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 904
  • HPIM1797a.jpg
    HPIM1797a.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 587
  • HPIM1806a.jpg
    HPIM1806a.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
   / Sub soiler on a FEL #2  
dex-
In the second picture it looks like your hyd cyl is making contact with your FEL arm - is there clearance?
- Jim

/ Sub soiler on a FEL
Its really close but not touching.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #4  
Its really close but not touching.

A few mils is as good as a mile - just don't let anything get between them! Looks like a good root grubber. You appear to have traded brute strength for a lot of maneuverability. Let us know how it works!
-Jim

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #5  
Great idea. I have a large area that I had a big skid loader mounted mulcher come in and level off for me. I have cleaned up all the mulch that was left behind but that only takes the stuff down to ground level. I want to eventually plant grass in the area but all the roots and junk are still in the ground or at ground level. I don't necessarily want to rip up the whole area, just areas where there are exposed roots. I already have the Quick Tach 3pt plate for my loader, I will just need to find a subsoiler somewhere. Let us know how it works.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL
I used it a bit last night before dark and I am impressed with how it works. I think It will do what I want it to do and then some. It will not do what it does when its on the back but as Baby Grand I have "traded brute force for maneuverability" and that works for me. I can still use the SS on the rear 3PH as well.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #7  
I have used my subsoiler the same way on my loader. It allows you to get much closer to trees to rip out the roots than if you had it on the 3PH because you don't have to allow for the tires on each side of it. You are right that it is not nearly as powerful as on the 3PH, but it's a nice tool to remember that you have in your tractor's "bag of tricks.":)

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #8  
Hi Dex, that looks like a great idea. I think you are on to something.

A question or two if you don't mind. What did you do to the QA plate to accept 3 point hitch attachments? Or is one on the market that you can buy that has the 3 point hitch attachment on a QA plate?

Just thinking some more about a QA plate designed like that, you could put a landscape rake up front, (with the tines turned around), and have a lot more control doing cleanup work. You can apply some good down force on the subsoiler with the loader, that you can't get on the back of the tractor.

Can you take a pic or two just of your QA 3 point hitch plate? I would sure like to see it. If you can't buy one reasonable I may weld one up from a blank QA plate. You got me to thinking of the things you could do with one...

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #9  
They are commercially available. I had a local welder make one up for me. He made mine for cost and now sells them.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 710
   / Sub soiler on a FEL #10  
hi Randall, looks real good, where did you get the mounting plate, and how much was it.
can't wait to see some more action shots of it at work
thanks
Brian