Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Wondering if anyone has tried modifying a standard bucket to make it a four in one? Seems like it should be possible but would like to hear of some of the issues that might be involved.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #2  
I'll be watching this one for sure, been trying to find a 4n1 for my 580B ever since I bought it about 12 years ago - NOBODY sells a 4n1 unless you wanna buy whatever it's attached to also -

The Case models are only about 80% of the capacity of standard buckets, most likely because the 4n1 has 2 extra areas (back of the clamshell and front of the "blade") that are beefed up for grading, grabbing, etc, plus extra metal to mount/protect the cylinders that operate the clamshell - so if you were to convert a standard bucket there's a good chance it would end up a few hundred lbs heavier than it started -

With a big enough tractor, might be a moot point.

After looking in vain for the last dozen years, I bought a 2-lid 6' grapple for mine - haven't set it up yet, too many other irons in the fire - but when I do, the whole loader will get a (not skid steer) QA setup so I can swap between bucket, brush forks, fork lift, grapple, and any 3ph implement I might wanna try out front - possibly including a hydraulic motor driven 6' flail that's now only rear mount pto driven - I never thought it was a good idea to first DRIVE OVER stuff and flatten it, and THEN try to mow it....

Anyway, from what I've figured out on my stuff I'd probably recommend KEEPING your full-size bucket and fabbing a slightly smaller 4n1 - not only for weight, but it's almost ALWAYS easier to design something from scratch KNOWING what it's gonna be asked to do, than to band-aid something that's ALREADY functional into something that's SORTA functional.

YMMV, but that's been my experience on most things... Steve

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #3  
There's nowhere near enough steel in a standard bucket to make it practical or worthwhile to convert it.

Go look at some 4 in 1's and look at how they are built.

Note that I said practical, worthwhile. Possible was not a term I used.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #4  
Agree with RickB. For the time, effort, and money involved in converting to a practical unit, you could buy one for sure. I considered making my own from scratch. I have all the materials, tools, and knowledge at my disposal. It just was not worth it. Not even close. But, if you decide to go for it, good luck.

Here's another thread. I don't think he went forward, but you could check.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ndard-bucket-4in1.html?highlight=#post4428298

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #5  
There's nowhere near enough steel in a standard bucket to make it practical or worthwhile to convert it.

I agree.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One
Thanks for the feedback guys! Some very good opinions based on knowledge and experience.

Edit: Some interesting pics of 4 in 1's:

Photo Gallery

Last edited:
   / Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #7  
Thanks for the feedback guys! Some very good opinions based on knowledge and experience.

As I mentioned in the linked thread, I'd start with a dozer blade of the right width if I proceeded to build.

Please start a thread and post your progress if you decide to tackle this project. Friend of mine has an old 450 JD tracked loader/backhoe. It has a 4 way bucket. Very, very handy!!!!

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #8  
If you are looking for new: Everything Attachments | Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, and Farm Tractor Implements.

WRL-UJ2-4N1-CMP-4T.jpg

WRL-UJ2-4N1-CMP-2T.jpg

WRL-UJ2-4N1-CMP-5T.jpg

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One
As I mentioned in the linked thread, I'd start with a dozer blade of the right width if I proceeded to build.

Please start a thread and post your progress if you decide to tackle this project. Friend of mine has an old 450 JD tracked loader/backhoe. It has a 4 way bucket. Very, very handy!!!!

I agree that a dozer blade would be a good start as it would have the designed strength for the "push mode" and the rest of the bucket could be built strong enough. The angular shaped cross section of a conventional bucket gives it strength in both directions but that is lost if a bucket would be cut apart to make a 4 in 1. Torsional strength comes into play also if trying to "grapple" an object at one end of the bucket.

I've noticed that the 4 in 1's on the market are at about 60" for narrowest width available. I could go to a 54" probably but a 60" is starting to get a little wide.

I agree that weight is definitely an issue especially with my little B9200 and BF350 loader. (350 kg rating) May have to build this puppy out of titanium. :D I don't have quik tatch either so a 4 in 1 would serve as a mini grapple as well as bucket.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #10  
Could I ask a dumb question, just what is a 4-n-1 used for? There must some benefit to having such a tool but I'm having trouble figuring out just what all 4 tools are that are now in 1 tool that would all work off a FEL.