Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #21  
Yeah, I forgot to mention with the two hydraulic cylinders and the extra steel in them they are quite heavy. I have always wondered why they are so popular on tractors in Australia, but not so much here in the US. You see them more on skid steers here than compact tractors for sure and I guess the weight penalty is one reason, but why do the Aussie's not seem to mind?

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One
You just have to picture an upside down tractor.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #23  
The idea of a 4 in 1 bucket is this.

1: It works as a standard bucket for scooping loose material
2: It works as a bulldozer blade (well sort of) when the upper clamshell is raised up out of the way
3: It works as a scraper in the back dragging mode with a cutting edge on the back lower side of the bucket
4: It works sort of like a grapple with the clamshell opened up to grasp logs and rocks between the upper clamshell portion and the lower portion.
There are usually some "teeth" on the lower portion to help hold these logs or debris from slipping out.

You maybe could even argue that a 5th function is the dumping of loose material can be accomplished by opening the clamshell for a "bottom dump" instead of the normal scoop being turned downward into "dump" angle. This would kinda allow for possibly a higher height to clear the side of a dump truck without having to angle the scoop down.

In my analysis a 4 in 1 bucket does a bunch of things, and doesn't do any of them as well as a dedicated front implement. BUT it does it with just one tool that you always have with you. Sort of like a multitool. Is it as good of a screwdriver or wrench or even knife blade as a dedicated screwdriver, wrench or knife? No probably not, or at least not in all circumstances.

So you have to decide, is having a "multitool" with you all the time vs having dedicated tools the way you want to go? For some folks, yes, for others, no, not so much.

There is another function which is extremely useful. If you open the clamshell and lower the bucket over a post you can clamp the post and pull it up. Much faster than dismounting and wrapping a chain around the post.

I have used the same technique to pull small trees also...

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #24  
I have a Kubota Compact tractor with a 4in1 so I am well aware of the extra weight and strengthening thats built into them. However I'm not so negative about the possibility of turning a standard bucket into a 4in1. I'm rebuilding an old Bobcat, and as part of the project I intend to try and convert the bucket into some kind of 4in1. It will have a few shortcomings of course and will probably require a little extra operator care to minimise damage but I think its do-able, and even with some shortcomings will be far more use to me than a standard bucket or a bucket with a grapple.

By the way, used mid-size 4in1 skid steer buckets are at least $2000 over here.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #25  
Alchemysa, I don't think in's necessarily negativity, just practicality. They are expensive here too. But, if you have to buy the cylinders, steel, pins, trash a good bucket (b/c it needs to be straight as an arrow) and spend 50 hrs minimum engineering and constructing, $2k starts to sound like a bargain. I think that's the point.

But, if you build, please post pictures.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #26  
I have a Kubota Compact tractor with a 4in1 so I am well aware of the extra weight and strengthening thats built into them. However I'm not so negative about the possibility of turning a standard bucket into a 4in1. I'm rebuilding an old Bobcat, and as part of the project I intend to try and convert the bucket into some kind of 4in1. It will have a few shortcomings of course and will probably require a little extra operator care to minimise damage but I think its do-able, and even with some shortcomings will be far more use to me than a standard bucket or a bucket with a grapple.

Start a thread about your Bobcat rebuild, especially the bucket portion. Thanks in advance!!!

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One

Would it be possible for you to post some closeup photos of your 4in1 on the B1550?

P.S. I spent a fortnight in Adelaide, South Australia back in 1982 visiting the John Shearer Company which was the "John Deere" of Australia at that time. An older Russian engineer working there insisted on giving me a tour of the surrounding wine country. It was a bit scary as the more vineyard tasting stations we visited the faster he drove.
Australia is a beautiful country!

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #28  
P.S. I spent a fortnight in Adelaide, South Australia back in 1982 visiting the John Shearer Company which was the "John Deere" of Australia at that time. An older Russian engineer working there insisted on giving me a tour of the surrounding wine country. It was a bit scary as the more vineyard tasting stations we visited the faster he drove.
Australia is a beautiful country!

Maybe he was like Johnny Fever on WKRP in Cincinnati, the more he drank the better driver he became!!!! :cool: