Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #11  
Could I ask a dumb question, just what is a 4-n-1 used for? There must some benefit to having such a tool but I'm having trouble figuring out just what all 4 tools are that are now in 1 tool that would all work off a FEL.

The idea of a 4 in 1 bucket is this.

1: It works as a standard bucket for scooping loose material
2: It works as a bulldozer blade (well sort of) when the upper clamshell is raised up out of the way
3: It works as a scraper in the back dragging mode with a cutting edge on the back lower side of the bucket
4: It works sort of like a grapple with the clamshell opened up to grasp logs and rocks between the upper clamshell portion and the lower portion.
There are usually some "teeth" on the lower portion to help hold these logs or debris from slipping out.

You maybe could even argue that a 5th function is the dumping of loose material can be accomplished by opening the clamshell for a "bottom dump" instead of the normal scoop being turned downward into "dump" angle. This would kinda allow for possibly a higher height to clear the side of a dump truck without having to angle the scoop down.

In my analysis a 4 in 1 bucket does a bunch of things, and doesn't do any of them as well as a dedicated front implement. BUT it does it with just one tool that you always have with you. Sort of like a multitool. Is it as good of a screwdriver or wrench or even knife blade as a dedicated screwdriver, wrench or knife? No probably not, or at least not in all circumstances.

So you have to decide, is having a "multitool" with you all the time vs having dedicated tools the way you want to go? For some folks, yes, for others, no, not so much.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #12  
We plan to get one for doing trail work. That is, we're getting logs and slash off our trails on a regular bases. Maybe dozing dirt and rocks as well??? (do people know what slash is?)

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One

2: It works as a bulldozer blade (well sort of) when the upper clamshell is raised up out of the way
3: It works as a scraper in the back dragging mode with a cutting edge on the back lower side of the bucket
4: It works sort of like a grapple with the clamshell opened up to grasp logs and rocks between the upper clamshell portion and the lower portion.
There are usually some "teeth" on the lower portion to help hold these logs or debris from slipping out.

You maybe could even argue that a 5th function is the dumping of loose material can be accomplished by opening the clamshell for a "bottom dump" instead of the normal scoop being turned downward into "dump" angle. This would kinda allow for possibly a higher height to clear the side of a dump truck without having to angle the scoop down.

In my analysis a 4 in 1 bucket does a bunch of things, and doesn't do any of them as well as a dedicated front implement. BUT it does it with just one tool that you always have with you. Sort of like a multitool. Is it as good of a screwdriver or wrench or even knife blade as a dedicated screwdriver, wrench or knife? No probably not, or at least not in all circumstances.

So you have to decide, is having a "multitool" with you all the time vs having dedicated tools the way you want to go? For some folks, yes, for others, no, not so much.

I hadn't considered that "5th function" but that would be important on my loader that only raises the bucket to about six feet. Thanks for your input.

Edit: Here's another interesting bucket: Demo-Dozer Skid Steer Attachment
- YouTube

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #14  
We plan to get one for doing trail work. That is, we're getting logs and slash off our trails on a regular bases. Maybe dozing dirt and rocks as well??? (do people know what slash is?)

Maybe explain?

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #15  
Slash is the resulting debris from the use of an implement called a slasher.

A mulching head would be a type of slasher, I suppose. A Brown Tree Cutter also comes to mind.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #16  
I thought slash was tree tops and limbs.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #18  
That's not the first thing google brings up when you search for slash....
4160_Slash-min.jpg

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #20  

4.1 is the clamshell on a job site. It's used to load the bucket with material from a pile without pushing into the pile. It is also used to pick up the last bit of a pile. Especially if said pile is on a surface that you don't want scratched etc.

5 is definitely in play! This is the best way to meter sand or other material.

In construction it is the go to bucket style. It does the tasks needed extremely well!

Also note for optimum use, the 3rd function needs to be a "true" third function so you can curl squeeze and lift at the same time.

The one downside is weight. If you need the extra few hundred pounds of lifting capacity this isn't the ideal tool.