Trimmer built for women

/ Trimmer built for women
I am learning today! Thanks for the replies except from that one from Michigan. Must be the northern language barrier. In Texas trimmers, A.K.A. weedeaters are not riding lawn mowers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course after drinking a bottle of Ron's good wine he can call anything he wants a trimmer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The trimmers that require a harness are out she won't put it on and I will end up doing it.

I took the wife to Lowe's to handle the trimmers A. K. A. weedeaters. She preferred the straight shaft to the curved shaft even though the curved shaft was lighter. Apparently the balance is right and the motor does not touch her arm. I was not looking for any wheel trimmers so I will have go back to check out the ergonomics but that is also good possibility.

Bird, a couple of days ago I looked at the rs55rc and I was wondering is the easy start REALLY easy start? I kind of ruled out the straight shaft then but after today they are back in the running.

And then there's the $99, Black and Decker, 18 volt, auto line feed, two batteries, do up to 1/2 acre, CORDLESS.
Everything is perfect about those HOWEVER I wonder about the power and longevity. I guess I should make sure of the return policy and try one out this weekend to see how long they last and if they can cut the Lee County weeds.

If anyone else has a trimmer that is easy let me know so I can check-er-out! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks.

/ Trimmer built for women #12  
Don, I did some reading about that Black & Decker battery powered trimmer; thought I might want one, never tried one, but the best I could figure, two batteries wouldn't last long enough to do our yards. My Stihl dealer called the "Easy Start" system the "Granny" start. I told him us old Grandpas need it, too. Now I've not seen one apart, nor even an exploded view, so I can't say for sure exactly what's in there, but I'm pretty sure the dealer explained it right. When you pull the rope, you are not turning the engine; you're winding a spring. So it does get a little harder to pull as you go, but you can pull just as slow as you want to, even stop, let the cord retract, and pull again, if you wish. But there's a release of some kind in there, and when the spring reaches a certain point, it releases, and it's that spring that spins the engine. You can even lay it on the ground and hold it down with one hand and pull with the other, if you wish, because you don't have to hold the throttle; it has a catch that you can set before pulling the rope. It sure beats any rope pull starters I've had in the past.

I also asked the dealer about the shoulder strap and he threw in TWO free. I used one several times, before hanging it up in the storage building 'cause it's a lot faster, easier, and more comfortable without it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Trimmer built for women #13  
I have one of those WeedEaters too. It nust be 5 or 6 years-old by now. I have done nothing to it, but add gas, Starts second or third pull every time. When it dies, I will by another. These things are really light and my wife has no trouble using it.

/ Trimmer built for women #14  
My neighbors have the DR brand trimmer and think its the best thing since sliced cheese.
From what I have seen so far - DR makes pretty good products. I have the DR brushcutter and use it quite a bit for clearing out those difficult to reach areas. Good quality construction and a solid product (although a bit pricey).

/ Trimmer built for women #15  
My wife is one of those gals that actually likes to trim weeds, she says when I do it I cut up her flower beds /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Anyways, we were looking for a light model for her too and she picked a smaller curved shaft Echo, not cheap, but sure built a lot better than those $79 specials you see from time to time. I like it too, its really quality made, and for its size the thing won't quit. I use it around irrigation ditches and I am happy with its power. The only real down side is the engine compression is a little hard for a small gal to start. It fires on 1 or 2 pulls, but it takes a sharp pull, so I often get it going and she takes over. Gotta say though, we have had it for 3 years now with a LOT of use and its been the best trimmer we have ever owned.

/ Trimmer built for women #16  
Don

MANY years ago I bought the lovely Mrs_Bob a "Featherlight" trimmer and the darn thing actually still works. It is very light and starts and the tap to feed head works. She actually uses it. The BIG PROBLEM is the lack of power, it bogs down badly in heavy grass and basically can't cut through thick weeds.

Last year I bought her an Echo, which only weighs a few ounces more than the Featherlight but she doesn't like it. It has the i-Start easy pull starter, but it does not have the tap to feed cutter head. The little Echo has MUCH more power than the Featherlight and is basically the same size. The downside is it cost about $200 for a little trimmer. But I prefer it to my big JD profession trimmer because it is easy to start, easy to use and nice and light. It also seems to vibrate less than either of the JD or the Featherlight units.

I guess the lovely Mrs_Bob would give 2 thumbs up to the Featherlight and I would recommend the little Echo models with i-Start.

/ Trimmer built for women #17  
My Wife says don't bother. There are no such string trimmers to fit her hands. None... not even worth bothering.... course she says that about mowers too. But she lets me buy whatever I want for my own use. Go figure? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Trimmer built for women #18  
I needed one a while back, and followed Skurka's lead on the Echo (but mine was a $129 refurb. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

My boy uses it and has NO trouble starting it. His teeth do turn green though. Maybe he shouldn't grin so much when he's using it..! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hey Bob, sorry the Lovestly Mrs Bob didn't like hers... Lemme send you my address, Matt's little sister wants one too...

/ Trimmer built for women #19  
Thanks for the kind comments about my wine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I just had to give you a link to a new members post about his trimmer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Click Here /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Trimmer built for women #20  
Yep, Ron, that certainly was good wine.