Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #51  
I am another that would suggest Gravely. Also have been looking and trying to decide. Was really looking at Husqvarna but after reading this thread they must be problematic although they make awesome chainsaws and weedeater/brushcutters. My dad has an older model Gravely that is still going strong but I thought Gravely's were all priced too high. Got to looking online and they seem to be in same ballpark as others. Also, for what its worth, have a DR brushcutter with a Kawasaki engine and its a champ.
robbyr,
I too started out looking at the Husqvarna's, but when I decided I wanted a "Commercial quality" ZTR I soon abandoned them as their Commercial models were high dollar. However, I did have the Dixon(DX100 series) on my short list and when looking at them the dealer told me that they were now owned by Husqvarna(but still retained the Dixon "components"). I made him a counter-offer on the DX152(52") and he was asking $6391 out-the-door(MSRP was $6,399 plus tax). It had the same exact engine(Kawa FX691V) as my Gravely, same HydroGear ZT-3400 tranny but the deck was 11gauge(where my Gravely was 7Gauge) and had aluminum-housing spindles(where my Gravely has the Commercial cast-iron). The Gravely out-weighed the Dixon by almost 200lbs as well. If the dealer had come down to $6,150 OTD, I might be driving a Dixon right now instead of a Gravely, because bang-for-buck the Dixon would have been a good machine. If you have a Dixon dealer nearby it may be worth looking at them and seeing what kind of deal you can get. BTW, the closest model in the Husqvarna line that compares to the Dixon DX152 is the P-ZT54 and even though the deck is 2" more the MSRP is $7,699 plus tax(the Dixon is a lot better for the money). Otherwise, and I guess you can tell why......I recommend the Gravely too(I am VERY happy with the Pro-Turn and have never looked back:0)

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #52  
Well I just looked on my favorites list where I had saved the Husqvarna I was looking at last year and it said page not found. Maybe that's a sign as I remember looking at one that was in the 5 - 6 grand range. Don't remember the cut, maybe 52" or thereabouts. I remember looking at that site it seemed like forever comparing their different models and reading the feedbacks on them. But here on TBN it seems they are not well thought of and I'm sure all these guys know what to look for a whole lot better than me. Rob

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #53  
Well I just looked on my favorites list where I had saved the Husqvarna I was looking at last year and it said page not found. Maybe that's a sign as I remember looking at one that was in the 5 - 6 grand range. Don't remember the cut, maybe 52" or thereabouts. I remember looking at that site it seemed like forever comparing their different models and reading the feedbacks on them. But here on TBN it seems they are not well thought of and I'm sure all these guys know what to look for a whole lot better than me. Rob
The machines that I worked with in 2007 (2006 60" Huskvarna commercial zero turns with ~27HP Aircooled Kawasaki engines comparing to 2004-2005 eXmark Lazer-Z machines with 26-27HP Watercooled Kasasaki engines) had four main issues:
1. Slow ground speed, the eXmarks were significantly faster which is a fairly big deal when mowing large areas

2. Poor belt setup, the eXmarks have a "mule belt" that runs to a jackshaft on the deck, then a dedicated belt that goes from the jackshaft to the three spindles. The Husky had one belt that did all of that. The downside is that when you push the machine too hard, on the eXmark, you might smoke the $30 mule belt a once or twice per season (depending on the driver), but we would get several seasons out of the $70 deck belt. On the Husky, if the driver wasn't paying attention, they would smoke the $90 belt that drives the whole deck as happened 3-4 times per season

3. On the Husky, the top of the deck was shaped sort of like this: |---==---| and there was a flat coverplate over the lowered center section (the "==" in the diagram, which is where the belt ran). The belt path area was open in the middle of back, so you would get grass coming in there and migrating pack into the whole belt path. We almost had a fire at the beginning of the season due to that. We ended up running without the top plates most of the time so that we could blow the belt path out several times per day.

4. Not as well "balanced" when driving, the eXmarks were easier to keep going in a straight line as the damper shocks on their sticks were far more effective despite being older machines with more hours

Aaron Z

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #54  
I bought a Scag Tiger Cat, 26hp, 48" cut two years and absolutely love it. It replaced an older Gravely. It is heavy and grips good on slopes, cuts clean and fast, never bogs down, easy to maintain and a very comfortble ride. I mow 5+ acres with weekly in the spring and almost as often all summer unless we have drought conditions. I think you could step down from the Freedom Z 61" to the same one I have, save money and be very pleased with the price and performance. The 48" is very nice to mow around flower beds, trees and obstacles, the bigger mower has limitations on getting into tight areas. I also have a great dealer in my area who makes it even better. The Scag is a very sturdy built machine, not thin metal and it take rough mowing conditions.

Good luck with your decision, purchase and mowing experience with whatever you choose.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
Well, thanks for all of the input. I ended up putting a deposit down on the 08 hustler Z diesel. It will have fresh fluids, new blades, new belt, flex forks, and a new can of Hustler yellow spray paint !

It already has the suspension seat, 66" deck... For $8k.

The payment will be relatively close to all of the others I already listed, and it is actually a legit built commercial machine, not like the top line residential, or entry level commercial units I was looking at.

Yes I know it is used, but at only 174 hours, it is still close to new.

The only downside is that it's 4 hours away, so that's what I will be doing all day tomorrow ;-)

Hopefully it will be the right decision, if nothing else I will save a little bit on fuel costs, be able to write the few off, and it's already cheaper because it's off road diesel... And it should get the job done a little faster because of the larger deck, and hopefully better ride because of the larger 24 inch tires, larger and heavier size, suspension seat and forks.

Hopefully!

I will post pics later tomorrow.

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone w/ TractorByNet for Android

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #56  
What are flex forks?

Spring loaded front caster forks for the front wheels. They don't look like much, but everything I've read of the guys that have them say they won't go back to NOT using them

ForumRunner_20130315_122934.png

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #59  
Well, thanks for all of the input. I ended up putting a deposit down on the 08 hustler Z diesel. It will have fresh fluids, new blades, new belt, flex forks, and a new can of Hustler yellow spray paint !

It already has the suspension seat, 66" deck... For $8k.

The payment will be relatively close to all of the others I already listed, and it is actually a legit built commercial machine, not like the top line residential, or entry level commercial units I was looking at.

Yes I know it is used, but at only 174 hours, it is still close to new.

The only downside is that it's 4 hours away, so that's what I will be doing all day tomorrow ;-)

Hopefully it will be the right decision, if nothing else I will save a little bit on fuel costs, be able to write the few off, and it's already cheaper because it's off road diesel... And it should get the job done a little faster because of the larger deck, and hopefully better ride because of the larger 24 inch tires, larger and heavier size, suspension seat and forks.

Hopefully!
I will post pics later tomorrow.

TSO,

Congrats on that purchase as it sounds like it will fit your needs and is a good deal to boot!! With that many hours and the price I don't think you'll regret getting a Hustler Z Diesel. Look forward to some pics when you can post them.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #60  
Good deal,congrats