Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics?

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #1  

DWCox

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
Does anyone have any long term (ca. 2+ years) report on increasing the hydraulic pressure via shims to 2500 psi? In frequent applications I could use any extra lift, but I have so far been hesitant out of concern that it could degrade the life of the pump.

What would be even better is if anyone had information which would indicate that the 790's hydraulic pumps are still within manufacturers specs. at 2500 psi.

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #2  
Increasing the hydro pressure on any tractor isn't exactly proprietary information, Deere intentionally made the pressure what it is. Increasing it could cause excess wear on the pumps, cause seals the leak or burst, using the increased pressure to lift too much with the FEL can snap an axle or create a dangerous loading situation. Or increasing the pressure could simply reduce the lifespan of the tractor a little (if at all) because Deere stuff tends to be overbuilt anyway. Either way it goes without saying that you'll probably want to wait until the warranty is up before making the change.

If you're willing to undertake the responsibility of upping the pressure and you understand the potential issues, go for it. If you're not sure you may want to hold off. My 2520 has more than enough power for most of my needs today so I probably wouldn't bother since I'd rather keep the tractor for a few more years than have a little more lifting power, but I did put a supercharger in my truck knowing full well that I may end up with drivetrain issues because of it.

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics?
Thanks for the response. After researching all the previous posts I could find on this issue, all those concerns and warnings seem to have been covered at one point or another.

What I am wondering is if sufficient time has passed for those who have increased the the pressure on the 790 to finally weigh in on the question: has there been any pump/seals or other problems?

As you and others have mentioned, JD sometimes overbuilds. But likewise sometimes a manufacturer may reduce capability for reasons other than the physical limitations of the system (viz., marketing newer but similar models with more capacity, concerns about the overall geometry of the tractor [the 790 does seem to have a high center of gravity], etc.).

If I find evidence which indicates that the 790's relatively weak hydraulic capacity falls into this latter category, I would not hesitate to increase it. If I cannot find evidence, I will err on the side of caution, as I am very happy with everything else about this tractor and wish for it to last a good, long time.

I am not just bored and tinkering on my tractor though; I really could use the increase in numerous practical ways.

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #4  
Does anyone have any long term (ca. 2+ years) report on increasing the hydraulic pressure via shims to 2500 psi? In frequent applications I could use any extra lift, but I have so far been hesitant out of concern that it could degrade the life of the pump.

What would be even better is if anyone had information which would indicate that the 790's hydraulic pumps are still within manufacturers specs. at 2500 psi.

The JD Technical Repair manual lists the hydraulic specs for the 790. Or a quick call to your dealer (shop mechanic.. better) and they could look it up for you.

AKfish

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #5  
Actually, I thought the written spec was 2500#, they just never came set to that.

2500# seems to be a pretty standard pressure, what varies is the GPM of differnet tractors.

Also consider that your not going to hit the max pressure unless you put that much load on it, or run a cylinder all the way to the end, which is probably hardest on the system. Because all of a sudden the fluid has nowhere to go. You've probably noticed how the sytem kind of bucks and loads until the relief valve has time to open. This delay makes engine RPM a contributing factor even though it doesn't affect pressure, it does affect the pressure spike while the relief valve opens. IMHO, how you use the hydraulic will have a much larger affect on issues than years or hours, so it will be hard to come up with any real statistics from the relatively small sample of 790 owners around here. The vast majority of my loader work is done around the 1200 rpm range, everthing is slow and smooth. I generally don't snatch the control around causing abrupt movement of the loader and things like that, so I really expect the difference in lifespan to be un-mesureable. But, even if it is, the improved user experience is worth it. I did a fairly large digging project last year and still only put about 50 hours on the tractor.

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #6  
I keep reading about "re-shimming" the hydraulics on a John Deere 790. What's involved in doing this ?

Thanks,

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #8  
Great !

Thanks for your help.

--200%Dave

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #9  
Willl Is that a John Deere part number on that pdf?

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #10  
Yes, JD parts says AM875169 is a good shim number.