Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics?

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #11  
Has anybody increased the hydraulic pressure with shims on the JD770 tractor? What were the results? Seems that many have done this successfully on the JD790 - so why not also on the JD770 since these two tractors are so similiar?

I am considering doing this mod. Right now I am gathering all the pieces to make my pressure guage. My tractor has the model 70 loader.

Thanks,
Bruce

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #12  
I had a 790 with a #70 loader, and one set of shims increased the pressure to about 2300 lbs IIRC. After operating as such, I felt I did not need more lift in the loader nor the three point....so I left well enough alone. Prolly never really needed to shim anything....as I could lift full 54" bucket-loads of dirt and about any size pine tree I needed.

So.....I question needing more lift than JD supplies as standard. Maybe its just easier to break stuff? Those tractors are well-balanced units. :thumbsup: But.....I think I read that some "770 guys" had shimmed too. If you shim....use a gauge, and stay under 2500# pressure and you should be golden.

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #13  
foggy1111,

I was also thinking about increasing the hydraulic pressure to only 2300psi instead of 2500psi. Why push it? Based on my current needs, I probably don't need the extra 300psi, but I want to increase it a bit because of the general principle that it is just not very manly to have a tractor that is hydraulically derated. ;)

Did you notice any improvements in the loader and 3 point by increasing the system pressure 300psi? I am more interested in increasing breakout performance than lift capacity.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #14  
I just shimmed my 790 with 1 pck and got a tad over 2300. Not that much difference in the loader but, a nice difference in the 3 point. That is why I did mine.

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #15  
I jacked mine all the way up to 2500psi. No problems in about year and a half, let's hope it stays that way!

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #16  
I jacked mine all the way up to 2500psi. No problems in about year and a half, let's hope it stays that way!

Same here...but I ran the machine for around 3 years.
It's an easy and worthwhile modification as long as one doesn't go overboard with the shimming.

BTW, when you pull the cap off to install the shims, there are some pieces that will come out (due to spring pressure) when the cap is removed. Be careful not to lose anything and re-install them in the correct order.
I strongly suggest you do this in a garage or building with a concrete floor and sweep the floor before you begin (just in case).
You have been warned!

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #17  
Interesting thread. I recently bought a 98 770. Where can I learn more about this mod? Is there a kit out there somewhere?

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #18  
Nick,

Do a search on the forums for increasing the hydraulic pressure by adding shims on the JD790 and you will find several detailed threads on the subject. The info on the JD790 will be applicable to your JD770.

Bruce

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #19  
foggy1111,

I was also thinking about increasing the hydraulic pressure to only 2300psi instead of 2500psi. Why push it? Based on my current needs, I probably don't need the extra 300psi, but I want to increase it a bit because of the general principle that it is just not very manly to have a tractor that is hydraulically derated. ;)

Did you notice any improvements in the loader and 3 point by increasing the system pressure 300psi? I am more interested in increasing breakout performance than lift capacity.

Bruce

If my memory serves (which is questionable)......I think I could note some improvement in the capacity.....and as stated, I think I noticed more in the 3 point ability to lift my weighted disc. I did not have much experience in operating the tractor before shimming....as I performed this shimming quite soon after purchasing the tractor. I always had pretty good loader performance.

The 790 and 70 loader was a nicely balanced machine IMO. If I could not pick it up.....I probably needed to cut it in half or take two loads. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;) )

/ Long Term Effects 790 Hydraulics? #20  
Does anyone have any long term (ca. 2+ years) report on increasing the hydraulic pressure via shims to 2500 psi? In frequent applications I could use any extra lift, but I have so far been hesitant out of concern that it could degrade the life of the pump.

What would be even better is if anyone had information which would indicate that the 790's hydraulic pumps are still within manufacturers specs. at 2500 psi.

Well I was goofing around and over shimmed my front end loader. The results, I blew a 10 dollar lip seal that rides on the input shaft of the pump. It took me about an hour to pull the pump and change out the seal. I re shimmed it using the proper technique with no problems. The moral to the story is the lip seal is the weak link and will blow long before any hose or cylinder if they are in decent shape.