Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #11  
Just used my Ford 501 sickle mower behind my new DX40 for the first time. I had one heck of a time sliding the shaft onto the tractor. I finally tapped it on with a hammer but could not get it on all the way. I mowed ditches without it being on all the way, stopped and checked it once in a while. I had to use the hammer to get it off again. I tried an end from a different mower, it took a while but I got it on. I filed the end from my mower to remove rough spots I really couldn't feel any. Spent about an hour sliding it on and off was a struggle grease helped but still not good. I had no trouble hooking to my Ford 3600 tractor, I guess it just needs to be broke in. Anyone else have this problem, if so how did you fix it?

In general, on a drive shaft.. make sure they telescope freely ( clean and grease ), and if the female end is dirty or has surface rust, go at it with a flat file and small wire brush till it is shiny.. same with the male pto shaft stub.. though those usually just need cleaning, as they wear down a bit..

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #12  
I had the same problem, I would cuss and discuss all over the barn before I figured out my problem. I tried grease and oil on the stub to no avail. The PTO stub on the tractor had too much paint and would not let the shaft slip on. After scraping off the paint and adding a little oil the shaft slipped right on. Did I ever feel stupid, I never thought a little paint could cause so much of a problem.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #13  
G'day i think the safety shield you may have seen is the bare co lever action guard check it out on their web site i think they actually have a short movie of it as well:)

Jon

Yep, it was BareCo: Shaft Guard

J_J, I figured there must be a hyd. mower, just never thought about it. Should have thought about SkidSteers. To quote Homer Simpson: "D-oh"

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #14  
The best thing I,ve found to use is the aeresol carb cleaner with the little straw nozzle to clean all the hard to get areas to clean off the old grime & surface rust . use a little brass wire brush to get to the hard to get spots .

Then put Powdered graphite on the telescoping shaft & both ends ( I use a cheap plastic mustard dispensor ) to apply the graphite powder. Seems to work much better then grease or oil. :D . Bob

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #15  
I've found, if you raise the implement with the three point until the PTO and implement shafts are level(no deflection in either universal joint)the engagement is MUCH simplified, due to the fact you are pulling the coupler and shaft straight onto the PTO shaft, as opposed to pushing the coupler onto the PTO shaft while also having to pull the shaft on an angle to get the required length. Don't know if this makes much sense in writing, but sure does in practice :)

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #16  
yes, i had some challenges:

1) Newbie me didnt know about the spring loaded locking Push Pin on the Mower Coupler the first time
2) Second time it took a bunch of lube spray, and a tap with a block of wood to get it on while using the push pin
3) Now, after the Paint wore off the inside of the Mower Coupler, it slides on easy.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #17  
My PTO shaft was damaged by something before I got it. There were burrs and indentations on the splines. I couldn't get my PTO pump on for my BH until I finally took a die grinder and a file to the shaft and cleaned it up nice. Added some grease and now it goes on and off easily.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!
A lot of good advice here, thanks. There is some rust in between the splines, even after filing. I guess I will try to find a wire brush to fit the hole and put more lube on it. The spring loaded locking pin is missing on my mower. On my old tractor there was a hole through the pto shaft I could put a bolt through to hold it on with. Not so with the new tractor I will have to replace the pin. I just thought with all the miles on the mower and as easy as it fit on my old tractor getting it on the new one would not be a problem.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #19  
I took a wire whhel to my PTO shaft to get it looking nice and shiny, then a fine coat of some white (lithium) grease and it's slick as a whistle. The only reason I used the white grease is it was the first thing I saw on my lube shelf. I really works well and doesn't seem to act like a magnet like some of the heavier chassis grease I tried.

John

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #20  
Good suggestions all around! In addition to making everthing as shiny as possible, I have found that spraying the splines and the locking collar with PB Blaster or a similar penetrating oil helps a lot, especially if the balls inside the locking collar have corrosion on them.

While it is not feasible to do so with all shafts, it is a good idea to remove them and store them inside out of the weather, too.