Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #31  
I do the following and have no trouble at all now:

1) raise the shield over the top of the shaft
2) put the PTO selector into the forward position (for those without a forward position; there should be an "off" position)
3) clean off the shaft with a rag.
4) apply new white grease to the shaft
5) place implement PTO onto end of shaft and rotate shaft off tractor by hand until the splines mesh
6) then move pin release (one shaft has a button; another has a collar)
7) push implement PTO onto shaft until I hear a click.
8) tug it back and forth to make sure it locked.
9) lower shield back into place

Ralph

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #32  
I do the following and have no trouble at all now:

1) raise the shield over the top of the shaft
2) put the PTO selector into the forward position (for those without a forward position; there should be an "off" position)
3) clean off the shaft with a rag.
4) apply new white grease to the shaft
5) place implement PTO onto end of shaft and rotate shaft off tractor by hand until the splines mesh
6) then move pin release (one shaft has a button; another has a collar)
7) push implement PTO onto shaft until I hear a click.
8) tug it back and forth to make sure it locked.
9) lower shield back into place

Ralph
I recommend adding shutting off the tractor before #1.

Aaron Z

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #33  
Now that is something I may try. Used synthetic brake grease last time, worked OK, but would like to try the graphite. Where do you buy it? Auto parts store??
NH sells an aerosol graphite that is nearly as good as the best [Slip Plate by Superior Graphite]. Can be bought more conveniently than Slip Plate.
larry

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #34  
NH sells an aerosol graphite that is nearly as good as the best [Slip Plate by Superior Graphite]. Can be bought more conveniently than Slip Plate.
larry

I wonder if it also available at Case Dealers??

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #35  
Good luck!

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #36  
Now that is something I may try. Used synthetic brake grease last time, worked OK, but would like to try the graphite. Where do you buy it? Auto parts store??

larry
:eek: I neglected to mention that I dont consider a dry lube to be a good choice for the telescoping pto shaft because it does not cushion as grease does. If the shaft is covered grease is the way to go. If open it would probably favor graphite to prevent developing a grit slurry.
larry

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #37  
I have found that everytime I disconnect one shaft, and then connect a second implement's shaft, by the time I am done I have grease from fingertip to elbow on both arms. (not complete 360 coverage, but most on here will likely know what I mean)

At least I look like I did something at the end of the day.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #38  
I bought a new Buhler finishing mower a couple weeks ago and it took me about 45 min. to get the pto shaft collar de-rusted and lubed up before it would slip on the tractor. If the dealer had stored the pto shaft indoors or the manufacturer had coated the collars with grease it would have made things a whole lot easier.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #39  
It would be 5 minutes of preventative maint that would save much work downt he road.

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #40  
G'day a good dealer would have freed it up before you got it :D

Jon