Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #41  
It would be 5 minutes of preventative maint that would save much work downt he road.

soundguy

What's the fun in that? :p

I find that often when I go looking for a hand tool. I should have put it back after I used it, but left it in the garage or basement, etc... The time I spend looking for it is ALWAYS more than the time I would have spent putting it away in the first place! :rolleyes:

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #42  
I used to be bad about tht.. real bad.. this year I totally cleaned out and reorganized my shop and garage and feed and tack rooms. now when i go in and use a tool, i put it right back and clean up after I'm done... makes it soooo much easier..

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #43  
After grunting and farting for 20 min while trying to get my LX6 brushog driveshaft hooked up, I took the front half of the driveshaft into my shop, fired up the parts washer, and gave the coupler a good cleaning. The pull on the collar was so full of debris, and whatnot, that it was just not coming back far enough to clear the keyway on the pto shaft....I should prob do this every year. Anyways, after lubing everything back up, I just about knocked myself out on the back of the tractor, because I was expecting some resistance, and as soon as I cocked the collar back, ZOOOOMM!!.....It went on so fast!

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #44  
bag it with a 1-g ziplock or trashbag and a rubber band when not in use.. keeps it clean..

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #45  
bag it with a 1-g ziplock or trashbag and a rubber band when not in use.. keeps it clean..

soundguy

You might want to punch a small hole in the bag to let water out. You might even want to spray it down with oil/grease before bagging.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #46  
For sure lube it.. but if you put the bag on good with the rubber band.. shouldn't get too much water in.. that's how i do mine at home. been using those 'free' baggies the newspaper comes in.. then i toss them after each use. Rains every day here in florida so i got lots of them saved up!

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #47  
For sure lube it.. but if you put the bag on good with the rubber band.. shouldn't get too much water in.. that's how i do mine at home. been using those 'free' baggies the newspaper comes in.. then i toss them after each use. Rains every day here in florida so i got lots of them saved up!

soundguy
Hmm sounds like a business opportunity. PTO covers.. 0.50 each? :D :D

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #48  
How about a plastic Peanut Butter jar with a rubber cover, with the center cut to match the splines. Fill it 3/4 with lube, and push on. Then pull it off when you want to use the implement, and the rubber, wipes most of the lube off, leaving just enough for lube.

A Tractorbynet special.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #49  
Oh.. i see what you mean.. you are talking about the male end on the tractor.. i was talking about the female end on the implement.. but yeah.. I like your idea.. use a raor and cut the profile of the 3pt stud into the plastic cap so that when you push it on it scrapes the diret off, and when you pll it off.. it wipes excess grease..

nice idea.

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #50  
CAB/AIR,

I hope you didn't get that cleaner in your U-joint bearings.

JJ,

Pretty good idea, that luber. Maybe a canning jar without the inner lid insert. Screw down the outer lid to sandwich the rubber disc against the glass rim. You could inexpensively water jet some rubber prototypes.

John