Global Warming News

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming News #21  
The CO2 level was 9 times higher when dinosaurs were around than it is now. People that believe man is ruining the planet should kill themselves to help save it.

The only problem with this comparison is the amount of timber/plantlife/trees. When Dino, Fred's little buddy was around there was many more X's the plant life then what we have today. The planet could easily handle the CO2 levels of that time. Can it handle what we are giving off now? I watched a show the other night about how America has changed since the "1st settlers"{pilgrims}. We have lost most of our trees/forest{compared to then}, and now the demand is even higher. Trees are a renewable source, BUT only if we do things correct. It is funny how 1 race could live with nature and supply their needs, then another comes along and destroys allmost everything. In the end no matter what happens, global warming, disappearing of natural resources etc.... GREED is the real problem!

/ Global Warming News #22  
Hey...fellow "Baby Boomers"...

....does anyone remember a small episode of the late 1960's thru early 1970's....when an entire class of commercial aircraft (Supersonic Transports) was discontinued, due to the fears that the high altitude contrails would trigger GLOBAL COOLING and a new Ice Age?

The scientists were furiously calculating, the pundits were all in agreement, the media was alarmed, , the govt research grant money flowed like a river...

The only reason the "Concord" flew, was that it was so far along in it's production cycle, it would have been politically inexpedient to cancel it.

As luck would have it, I was raised as a skeptic...when I smell the powerful aroma of easy money, I question the veracity of the end product.

Be Safe...

Terry

These planes were canceled because they cost too much to fly, plain and simple. The French had too much money already invested in the Concorde and large ego's that needed to be stroked so they continued on, so no conspiracy here.

/ Global Warming News #23  
The only problem with this comparison is the amount of timber/plantlife/trees. When Dino, Fred's little buddy was around there was many more X's the plant life then what we have today. The planet could easily handle the CO2 levels of that time. Can it handle what we are giving off now? I watched a show the other night about how America has changed since the "1st settlers"{pilgrims}. We have lost most of our trees/forest{compared to then}, and now the demand is even higher. Trees are a renewable source, BUT only if we do things correct. It is funny how 1 race could live with nature and supply their needs, then another comes along and destroys allmost everything. In the end no matter what happens, global warming, disappearing of natural resources etc.... GREED is the real problem!

I didn't see the show, so I can't comment on it.

I've been to a few museums that have shown pictures of what the area looked like back in the 1800's and then pictures taken today. In every case, there are more trees today then back then. While this is just in those area, and the focus was more on managing forest fires, logging and the changes to the land in the last 200 years, it's still pretty dramatic evidence that some areas have more trees then before.

And then there is the real problem with global warming and climate change. It's not that the temperature of the planet varies and has an up and down cycle. That's part of nature and will happen no matter what we humans do.

The real problem is that the so called scientist are lying about the temperatures that they are recording and destroyed all the original readings. To prove that CO2 is responsible for the rise in global temperatures, they went to Siberia to measure tree rings. Of all the trees that they checked, they found one that matched up with what they wanted. No other tree had tree rings that worked, so all that evidence was dismissed, and that one tree is the proof that they have for CO2.

Throwing away evidence that doesn't fit their goal is not science, and it's proof that they don't have anything to support this. The Russians have been confronting them about changing their temps for years. Just a few months ago, it came out that they were using August Temps for three months, instead of the lower temps that occur in Fall. It's really sad when the Russians are the only source correcting East Anglia and their man made science.

More trees, less trees. We just don't know anymore because so much of the science is fabricated. There is allot of talk about CO2 levels following global temperatures. If the planet gets warmer, then the atmoshere can and does hold more CO2. As the planet cools, more CO2 gets absorbed back into the planet.

It's almost like God has had enough of this trickery and is now making fools of all the Global Warming crowd. Ten years of the planet cooling and every time they have a summit or confrence on Global Warming, a cold front arrives.

Eddie

/ Global Warming News #24  
These planes were canceled because they cost too much to fly, plain and simple. The French had too much money already invested in the Concorde and large ego's that needed to be stroked so they continued on, so no conspiracy here.

Correct! The U.S. came to it's senses and realized it was a money looser (I worked on engine development at the time). The decision was right, the Concorde lost money for it's entire lifespan even though it had an exclusive market.

The Hockey Stick chart clearly shows the rapid heating that the planet has experienced, which is caused by CO2 emissions. The more CO2 that goes into the air, the hotter the planet has become.

Actually I read something the other day that accurate measurements (without political "enhancement") shows that CO2 has NOT been increasing.

From the beginning, this has been about redistribution of wealth, slamming the developed economies, and nothing to do about global ecology. The limits are imposed on the U.S. and Europe while China and India, etc. get a free pass. At most, China is supposed to "slow down" their increase in CO2 emissions (but still allowed major increases ), while the "developed" economies had to reduce theirs.

CHINA IS ADDING A COAL FIRED POWER PLANT EVERY DAY!!!! and they don't have the pollution controls we have in the U.S. How is this going to help the global economy to MOVE (not reduce, but increase) emissions to the Far East? It isn't.

It's just a big hoax and our political leaders that push this are traitors to our country.

/ Global Warming News #25  
If CO2 is the real problem, then we should all take a last deep breath and hold it until we drop dead. Think that may help solve the global warming problem? Well, it would from the standpoint that there would be no one left alive to bring up the subject.
The whole thing is a hoax to accomplish two things: 1) Make a handful of people very very wealthy and; 2) Stop any further advancement of civilization.

/ Global Warming News #26  
Eddie I agree with you on being lied too, but hey it seems to be the norm, how else can we legally be robbed?

As far as the forest goes compared to the 1st settlers, there were waaaaayyy more. Simple example would be look at how cities have grown. Look at the old timber logs of yesteryear compared to todays little wimpy logs. Not saying there aren't big logs today, BUT nothing compared to back when. Take a look at the rain forest, trees are being takin at to high a rate. Forest fires mud slides and mother nature have allways destroyed some trees but humans have still been the worst. I'll try to find the info on the difference that MAN has caused since europeans 1st came to this country. It was not surprising to me but might be to some. Humans have made a huge impact on this planet, and it'll probably recover when we're long gone. What gets me is how we abuse the one thing that gives us life{this planet}, but we're still more concerned over greed/power then we are about life and living peacefully. ARE WE TRUELY THE SMARTEST SPECIES????

My other concern is with the population, some say the planet can handle 12billion. since the mid 80's we've grown from 4.5billion to 7 billion. It took us millions of years to reach a million. I would say we are allready maxed out, but I do not see a slow down in site. With population comes more waste and abuse of the planet. How much abuse can our little house handle before the walls just simply blow out?

/ Global Warming News #27  
One of the local papers published some information regarding Wake county which is where the NC state capital of Raleigh is located. In the early 1900s 90-95% of Wake county was farm or town with the remainder being forest. Back then that meant most of Wake county was farm. Then towards the 1980's-1990's, there had been a huge change where the farms were gone and most of the county was forest.

I would guess that at this point much of the forest has been paved over for subdivision due to the huge growth in the area. But there are still huge areas that are forest that a short time ago were farm fields.

I have been told that Indian folklore says that much of eastern NC used to be open fields not forest. One of the theories about what happened to The Lost Colony was that there had been an extended drought which forced the colony to move inland. The drought is supposed to have lasted a decade or more. I have been slowly cutting down oak trees that the droughts we have had over the last few years killed. At least 14 trees have died on the 4.5 acres around the house due to the drought. If the drought had continued I don't think it would take but a few more years to wipe out the forest. The ground from the surface to 4-5 feet down was just dry.

Only 10% of the weather stations in the US are in compliance with the NWS standards. Just read this in the past couple of weeks. Maybe one of our weather people can comment if they think that number is true or not. I want a weather station but the cost and being able to setup it up to get good wind data has kept me from buying one.

On my daily drove to/from work I see a 5-10 degree change in temperature. It is ALWAYS hotter where I work in the "city". The area I work in did not exist 40 years ago. The area around it was heavily forested up until the mid/late 90s. It still has lots of woods. The lake I drive across moderates the temperature. This morning it was 18 in the low area in front of our place. Going over the lake 15 minutes later is was 22-23 degrees. In the summer it easily will be 10 degrees hotter at work than at home.

Prior to the 1930-40's the temperature in the area was measured in Raleigh. Then in the 30-40's it was moved to the airport which is near where I work. They put the airport in the middle of nowhere at the time. Not so much now. :D

I would love to know how one normalizes these temperature measurements due to the changing environment. How can one tell if the heat increase is due to the city heat island effect vs CO2 or water vapor or animal's tooting in the pasture? The computer models are talking about a 2-4 C degree temperature rise which I see driving to/from work.

Later,
Dan

/ Global Warming News #28  
It's the mushrooms man!!
willy_nilly.gif
Did you know mushrooms take in oxygen and put out CO2???? If the yuppies would stop eating mushrooms the world will be saved!! :D

:rolleyes:

/ Global Warming News #29  
It's the mushrooms man!!
willy_nilly.gif
Did you know mushrooms take in oxygen and put out CO2???? If the yuppies would stop eating mushrooms the world will be saved!! :D

:rolleyes:

And don't forget all of the beef cattle toot'n in the pasture waiting to be made into steaks for people to eat. :rolleyes: Course I never could figure out if flatulent cattle caused GW how come we did not have GW when huge herds of Bison, Wildeebeests, Caribou, etc used to take days to pass a single point. I guess Daisy has more gas than Dumbo....

:eek::D

Later,
Dan

/ Global Warming News #30  
I've been to a few museums that have shown pictures of what the area looked like back in the 1800's and then pictures taken today. In every case, there are more trees today then back then. While this is just in those area, and the focus was more on managing forest fires, logging and the changes to the land in the last 200 years, it's still pretty dramatic evidence that some areas have more trees then before.

One of the things to be careful of when looking at pics of the 1800's and early 1900's is that nearly everyone cooked and heated with wood. When you look at pics of mining camps etc. there isn't much larger than a blade of grass for miles. That is because it either got turned into mining timbers, houses etc. or burned for firewood.

I often wonder how much firewood a farmhouse in the 1800's consumed. Not insulated, single pane windows, probably poor fitting windows and doors compared today's products. Generally smaller houses but still they must have gone through a lot of firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.