Trailer Brake Controller Help.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help. #51  
Maybe it was because an improper splice in the brake line for the pressure sensor could cause all your braking to fail including your trailer brakes. If they didnt sense any pressure due to the tee splice blowing, they also wouldnt work would they? Personally I wouldnt want to put a splice in my trucks brake lines. If you can fly an fighter plane with nothing but wire connections to servos, then they should be able to make a simple electric braking device to sense decelleration and apply an ample amount of voltage to the brakes.
Loosing all brakes would not happen. I can not think of a single truck I have ever owned without a dual chamber master cylinder.

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help.
Tested everything today. It was very easy. Loaded the horse up and took it out on a country road. Warmed the brakes up and it took about 3 tries to get the brakes dialed in.

Here's another question. The tires on the trailer are new. They say max load of 2400 pounds at max pressure of 65 psi. I'm assuming that means 2400 pounds per tire. Well, I'm guessing this trailer with the one horse on board probably weighs 3000 to 3500 max. So do these tires need to be at 65 psi for that small of a load? It seems really high. And when I was looking under the trailer to see how many brakes it had (it has brakes on both axles) I noticed that it had no suspension. That surprised me. And there were several other 2 horse bumper pull trailers of various brands there and they had no suspension either. The tires currently have about 45 psi in them. Should I leave them at that pressure?

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help. #53  
Loosing all brakes would not happen. I can not think of a single truck I have ever owned without a dual chamber master cylinder.

Chris

Chris,
You are a lot younger than I thought you were! It seems like yesterday when cars and trucks had only one master cylinder reservoir and one brake hydraulic circuit. I was in my twenties when they started to use seat belts in cars and it took a few years to be mandatory.
Jim

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help. #54  
The tires currently have about 45 psi in them. Should I leave them at that pressure?

If you want to know if your tires are over inflated at 65 PSI draw a chalk line across your tire and drive around the block. If they are over inflated the center of the tire will not have a chalk line but the sides will. If all the chalk is gone then they are not over inflated. I personally would increase the pressure.
Jim

I suppose I'm looking for a 'guestimate'. I understand your chalk test but don't really have the time to do it, and if you think about it, it could take multiple tries. It seems to me that 65 psi in all 4 tires (which would support a load of 9000 pounds) for a load of 3000 pounds ride is going to be unnecessarily harsh on the trailer, (which has no suspension), the horse and maybe even the truck. Obviously underinflating has its own problems, potentially more serious than a rough ride. I can ask the owner of the trailer (my daughter's riding coach) why she chose 45 psi but I don't get the impression she has put much thought into it.

The trip this weekend will only be a few miles. Next month it might be 50-100 miles and I may be able to get a better feel for how much air they need. And I may have time to do the chalk test.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help. #56  
I suppose I'm looking for a 'guestimate'. I understand your chalk test but don't really have the time to do it, and if you think about it, it could take multiple tries. It seems to me that 65 psi in all 4 tires (which would support a load of 9000 pounds) for a load of 3000 pounds ride is going to be unnecessarily harsh on the trailer, (which has no suspension), the horse and maybe even the truck. Obviously underinflating has its own problems, potentially more serious than a rough ride. I can ask the owner of the trailer (my daughter's riding coach) why she chose 45 psi but I don't get the impression she has put much thought into it.

The trip this weekend will only be a few miles. Next month it might be 50-100 miles and I may be able to get a better feel for how much air they need. And I may have time to do the chalk test.

You are right;
Max rated load at max pressure is exactly that.
If you are carrying max load, SURE you need max pressure, but things are probably marginal at that point.
If you drive around with max pressure at much less than max load the tires will be harsh and skippy.
Pilots of small private planes KNOW about nose wheel inflation pressures and HATE skippy nose wheels.
There are load/inflation tables for all tires; Goodyear, Firestone etc web sites have them.
225x75R15 is the most common 2 horse trailer tire, typically load range C or D.
The bigger ones on 16 inch rims are usually 85 profile - then 19.5 rims, but we're getting into the 6 and 8 horse trailers.
The "RIGHT" way to do it is to weigh the rig axle by axle, which is also useful to figure if one axle is carrying more than it's fair share.
The rear should carry SLIGHTLY more than the front, NEVER less (stability, sway).

As to what a 2 horse trailer "typically" weighs; Figure 3,000 lbs., I have a lighter all aluminum one that is 2780 with small tack room. Very few of the all steel ones are over 3400.
Med/large horses 1,000 lbs each.
With tack, hay and maybe water (10 gallons ?) for a one day show you will probably be pulling ~4,300 with one, say 5,500 with two.
Of COURSE it depends on the breed, 1400 lb warm bloods are not uncommon these days (-:
DO carry water to shows and trail rides a) It isn't always available there b) the horses won't always drink what IS available, so water from home is the way to go c) IF you get stuck in traffic, construction, truck problems, whatever you want water on board.

PS I know, my trailer is not "ALL" aluminum; the coupler and axles are steel, etc.
Folk use "all aluminum" to mean frame, floor, sides and roof, e.g. not aluminum skin on steel frame, not wood floor, not fiberglass roof.

Last edited:
   / Trailer Brake Controller Help. #57  
I find it hard to believe a horse trailer has NO suspension under it...Is it possible it has Dexter Torflex axles or a similar product?

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help. #58  
I find it hard to believe a horse trailer has NO suspension under it...Is it possible it has Dexter Torflex axles or a similar product?

Right;
I just KNEW there was something else I had meant to comment on (-:
Torque-flex has been around for quite a while now, though it took a lot longer to get on horse trailers than many others.
My guess is under 15 years old it is almost certainly torque-flex, older and it will be "cart springs" WITHOUT shocks.

Thanks Reg. Good points. Kenny, it probably did have the Torflex suspension. I was looking for brake wires etc and when I saw no leaf springs I assumed there was nothing there. Seemed crazy, but I don't know much about trailers in general and even less about horse trailers.

I'm not sure what this trailer is made of. Top and sides look aluminum. Frame is definitely not aluminum. Trailer looks to be about 10 years old. Doesn't look new but is in good shape.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Help. #60  
I think Kenny is right and it has torsion axles. I would inflate to max pressure personally. I tow trailers all the time and can tell you under inflated tires lead to major wear and blow outs.

Chris