Rotella vs Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Rotella vs Mobil #21  
I agree with Skyco. He is talking time to temperature. I think youre talking time til it runs smoothly. You could consider that "time to warm up"...,but not exactly.
larry

I'm no expert but here's the scenario, my truck has a high idle when the temps are low so it idles up to about 1000 rpm til it gets to temp. When running with dino oil it takes longer to get to temp than with the syn. I also runs smoother faster with the syn. I just picked up a edge insight monitor and I'll be able to get actual temps rather than the dummy gauge on the dash.

Matt;)

/ Rotella vs Mobil #22  
sarg, many smart people would agree with your choice of product and schedule, and in fact a few would say that yours is the best program.

I never subscribed to extended oil changes, or even going the recommended interval, we all are in the severe category, or 99% of all of us anyway.

Change early and change often, wise words, synthetic does offer benefits, but in the end, 120$ oil changes ever 4k is kinda sorta nuts, its just that I cannot help myself-it makes me feel good, and perhaps that is really the reason why I, and others go synthetic.

Ok, please tell me how stopping my equipment and changing oil every other day is in any way "smart" or even possibly anything other than extremely foolish. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but stated oil change intervals from the manufacturer is every 500 hours on most of my equipment. Even on the smallest diesel powered machines I own, zero turn radius mowers, the suggested interval is every 100 hours. To change oil every 25 hours is about equal to standing next to a fire and tossing $20 bills in every minute or so. My Cat diesel holds 40 quarts of oil. Change that every 25 hours, LOL! Sorry, but that's just not smart or reasonable except maybe in a 4 cycle weedeater that only holds 4 ounces of oil or something similar.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #23  
Ok, please tell me how stopping my equipment and changing oil every other day is in any way "smart" or even possibly anything other than extremely foolish. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but stated oil change intervals from the manufacturer is every 500 hours on most of my equipment.
The Max interval on a New Holland ... after the first 50 hour change ...... is 100 hours ........... which probably will be an entire years' usage for me.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #24  
The Max interval on a New Holland ... after the first 50 hour change ...... is 100 hours ........... which probably will be an entire years' usage for me.

As such, once a year, would be a safe interval for you with "pick your brand of oil" and a quality filter like you mentioned. With a quality tractor like yours any oil that meets the manufacturer's recommendations and a good filter changed once a year, or every hundred hours, would almost guarantee you a lifetime of dependable and reliable service. As I've mentioned here for years, I'm not nor ever will be one of those guys who goes for extended drain intervals. There is waaaaaay to much to risk for extremely small benefit. I'm a pretty firm believer that the engineers who designed, built, tested and warrant the engine know far more than I ever will about any given engine. Therefore, I feel that I'm in no position to tell them that what they tell me to do is wrong.

I can't think of a single time that I haven't changed my oil a bit before recommended, but there comes a point where a guy isn't only wasting good oil and his time, but is being environmentally unfriendly by throwing out oil that is still 99% good. It seems that I go through a lot more motor oil than you do but far, far less than many. I just try to do what is prudent. Since there are certainly times where I will be in a situation where I'll stress my machine a considerable amount doing some job or task at any given time, I personally prefer the additional benefit offered by synthetic oils. It's my belief that standard petroleum motor oil will work just fine unless you run hot a bit, run at 100% power (not full throttle, that's a given, but actually stressing the engine for all it's worth) for extended periods of time and other such things do occur with me so the little bit of extra protection afforded by high quality synthetics seems worth my money. Again, that's just my opinion and what I do with my machines that I spent my money on. If I'm working my excavator, dozer and track loader in the summer on a hard job I want to get done, it's not uncommon to run 12 hours a day. To change the oil in just those 3 pieces of equipment takes right at 70 quarts. Say a good quality diesel synthetic costs, what?, $7 a quart. Not counting filters, that would have me spending $490 in oil alone (not counting filters, labor and down time) every other day if I wanted to change every 25 hours. I think you can see that nobody, and I think it's safe to actually say 'nobody', running equipment for a profit could even remotely consider such a thing.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #25  
I've determined after tons of reading that my best solution is to just use the Rottela or the Delvac 15W40 and change every 25 hours with the PureOne filter.

Much better for the tractor and also cheaper as compared to what others are doing.
If you lived nearby Id try to get you to let me have your changed oil.
larry

/ Rotella vs Mobil #26  
Regarding pricing, if you become an Amsoil preferred customer you can buy the product-usually its most cost effective in the 2.5 gallon quantities-for LESS than Del 1 even with the shipping-granted its not a whole lot less but cheaper none the less.
Currently there is Rotella syn in it, from Walmart, and the cost was roughly .30 more than had I gotten Amsoil.

Now, what I found out about the marine/heavy duty diesel oil from Amsoil; part of the formulation is to allow the oil to cling to surfaces longer-and for an rv that seems perfect.

Also; both Mobil/Delvac 1 and Amsoil 15-40 have a tbn of 12. I know of no other 5-40 with a 12 tbn, I have only seen 10.

If the 6.0 did not have the heui I probably would go back to dyno-maybe.

If you want the best price, either become a dealer (commerical) or find a large rep. Their prices will blow a normal dealer out of the water. They HAVE to buy everying in cases and they will ship it to you for me. At least mine does.

I have used there 15w-40 but found there Series 3000 better. I also mix the two for a nice 5w-40. For me I would not buy oil at Chinamart and Mobil lots me with poor CS. PLus I am lazy and love things shipped to me. Mine time is worth more then wating in line at walmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Rotella vs Mobil #27  
sw03, I'll look into this.

Dargo, ANY piece of equipment will last LONGER with more frequent oil changes-all things being equal-its common sense and to argue otherwise is silly.

No manual would state ONLY to change oil at this or that hours, mileage-all manuals will state that more frequent oil changes are required under certain conditions-in sarg's case I would be changing at least twice a year-depending on location and application.

It is far greener to have a piece of equipment last as long as possible, used oil taken to recycling facilities is put to very good use, and synthetic oil is well, SYNTHETIC.

What I am expecting next is for someone to say, 'you should NEVER go synthetic until such or such a period of time or mileage'

/ Rotella vs Mobil #28  
sw03, I'll look into this.

Dargo, ANY piece of equipment will last LONGER with more frequent oil changes-all things being equal-its common sense and to argue otherwise is silly.

Without even bothering to go further into your post please, providing specific reasons and references, explain to me and all others here precisely how changing out perfectly good motor oil will make any piece of equipment last any longer. I'd like you to be specific now, no speculation, since you seem so SURE based on your EMPHASIS. If a motor oil is still performing it's designed function 100%, which most all would at 25 hours, let's hear how changing it out would be of any benefit whatsoever. Based on your sarcasm, I'm going to have to say it will be interesting, to say the least, how you back up your "silly" statement. Let's hear what you have...

/ Rotella vs Mobil #29  
If you lived nearby Id try to get you to let me have your changed oil.
larry

It could be donated to the poor who have a hard time affording timely oil changes in their vehicles.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #30  
It amazes me that people change oil by hours. Years ago manufacturers would tell us to change oil every 3K miles on out cars here in the United States, yet the same manufacturer in Europe with the same vehicle was saying change every 12K miles.

Here痴 further proof changing my miles or hours is a scam. I purchased a warranty from Form that included oil changes EVERY 5K miles, while the owners manual stated every 3K miles. See while I was paying for the changes it was every 3K, but when they were paying for the oil changes it was 5K.

I purchased a new vehicle and ended up in a Lemon law suite with the manufacturer. I already changed the oil to a good synthetic because I was going to keep the vehicle forever. Well while we were fighting the case I vowed not to spend a dime on that vehicle, and that included not washing it or changing the oil. Yes I was mad at the dealership and manufacturer for playing hard ball. Well the case went on for three years and 60,000 miles.

I won the case and before I turned it in I pulled an oil sample and had it tested for laughs and it came back good for continued use.

Granted I did put in a quart every now and then but never did change the oil once. The truck ran great when I turned it in when I won the case.

That told me we are all changing out oil way too often.

After playing with all the designer oils, Amway, Royal Purple, Shell, Quaker, Mobil 1, I ended up with Red Line , and use all their products in my differential and tranny also.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 15W40 Diesel Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.