And the HP Wars Begin

/ And the HP Wars Begin #21  
I wonder if you will need a CDL to drive it? :cool:
:laughing::laughing::laughing:you don't let anything go. . . i love it:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ And the HP Wars Begin #22  
I have an '03 Duramax, rated at 300 HP IIRC.
I pull a head to head horse trailer with it.
I have some liking for extra instruments, so I added a scan gauge II.
This gives me OBD II scans if/when a fault light comes on, I can clear codes while driving, usually early warning of a restricted fuel filter.
It also gives me real time display of 4 extra gauges that I choose from a dozen or so.
I very RARELY use more than 75 HP (25% of the 300 HP rating) when towing.

I should add that SOME of the reason for this is that I am either hauling live animals who (I assume) have no appreciation of acceleration, or I am running empty and don't need much power anyway.
I doubt that I would use much more than 1/3 (100 HP) if I was pulling an inanimate load.
Heck, if it is HEAVY who needs it coming through the back of the cab anyway ?

OK, so I also have this 167 HP motorcycle that is 3 years old now.... and the new models are around 175 HP, with 200 HP (& 200 MPH) foreseeable.

Yeah, I have no need for that much power on two wheels either (-:
We do BUY it though, - - me too.

Excelent post Reg. I often move some very large drafthorses around and I doubt that they like doing the zero to sixty in under 6 seconds. My old 03 D Max just chuffs along and I try to keep the animals happy. I have never hauled more than 8 at a time but when I did haul 8 of them the truck or horses never complained and I got around 15 miles per gallon.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #23  
:laughing::laughing::laughing:you don't let anything go. . . i love it:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Laugh if you will, but I believe that in Wisconsin, if the GCVWR exceeds 26000#, a CDL is required.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #24  
Just LUV big draft horses.
Big and heavy, hurts like heck if they tread on you, but they handle SO easily.
Ponies may be "cute" in a tiny way, but it just seems they're ALWAYS trying to nip at Ya and I will NEVER get closer than 10ft behind one.

BTW, info for others; It isn't the steel toe boot problem, it is the tendency of SOME horses to tread on the EDGE of your foot when you walk them.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / And the HP Wars Begin #26  

Like I said, a smaller "standard" diesel engine making just 300HP and around 450lb.ft. returning 25-30+mpg would be an ultimate engine for 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton trucks. I am hoping they stick with the inline 6 layout though and don't go towards a V8 configuration. Another setup I would like to see is a CVT transmission linked to a small diesel engine, this would keep the rpm's right at max torque and make quick engine acceleration unnecessary.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #27  
Laugh if you will, but I believe that in Wisconsin, if the GCVWR exceeds 26000#, a CDL is required.

You are correct, at least partially.

My tongue in cheek comment was referencing a thread where this topic was discussed at length and unfortunately the thread was locked.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #29  

All I can say about this is, if that powerful engine is protected by an eggshell what good is it? I offer the following pictures as evidence. The first, is a picture of the 2005 Chevy 2500, (US government truck,) that rear ended me in upstate NY. It was completely totaled. The next picture is of the rear end of my truck, where he hit me. All the police, and people who saw this were astounded, as was I. My truck is a 2004 F250 crew cab super duty,short bed, with V10. I know, "they make em stronger now," I don't believe a word of it. Of course, Uncle Saw has yet to even look at the damage to my truck, let alone settle up, it's been two months. I bet if I had hit the Government truck, My wages would be garnished, and my tax return confiscated by now.

Attachments

• walts pictures 232.jpg
    walts pictures 232.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 133
  • walts pictures 229.jpg
    walts pictures 229.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 128
   / And the HP Wars Begin #30  
All I can say about this is, if that powerful engine is protected by an eggshell what good is it? I offer the following pictures as evidence. The first, is a picture of the 2005 Chevy 2500, (US government truck,) that rear ended me in upstate NY. It was completely totaled. The next picture is of the rear end of my truck, where he hit me. All the police, and people who saw this were astounded, as was I. My truck is a 2004 F250 crew cab super duty,short bed, with V10. I know, "they make em stronger now," I don't believe a word of it. Of course, Uncle Saw has yet to even look at the damage to my truck, let alone settle up, it's been two months. I bet if I had hit the Government truck, My wages would be garnished, and my tax return confiscated by now.

Like they say "FORD TOUGH!". I take care of a GM 2006 2500 and a 2007 3500 SRW both diesel 4x4. There is no comparison to my 2004 F-250 and my 2006 F-350 both diesel and both 4x4. My F-350 is a Short Bed extended cab and weighs 7,600#. The GM 3500 is a Crew Cab Long Bed and does not even hit 7,000# and is a good 4' longer truck.

Chris