Diesel pickups?

/ Diesel pickups? #41  
My Dad spent 45 years in Mopar parts dept. The shop that he worked in had numerous 400-500k mile RAM CTD's come thru for regular maintenance. He spoke with a number of the owner; no major repairs; just regular maintenance.

The big thing they had come in the shop, was gas in diesel. Someone not paying attention, fill thier truck with gas, and then drive 1/8 a mile and bammo, there goes a motor.

In Dargo's case, he had more issues with rear tires. Too many smoky burnouts in his duallies :D

You think that had something to do with it eating transmissions too? :eek: LOL, the guys who installed the last ATS transmission in it were my buddies at the Dodge dealership. I had the ATS shipped in to them and they installed it for me. To "break in" the new transmission, I did a nice burnout for just over 200 yards. Those 4 streaks lasted for almost a year! But, hey, that was the transmission that ended up lasting. Maybe that's what you need to do. :)

Still, as I just posted, I totally expect that heavily modified Cummins to go 400k miles or more. Seriously. If a Snap On micrometer can be trusted, it was literally showing no measurable wear at around 100k miles; when it started taking steroids. :D

/ Diesel pickups? #42  
Fifth wheels now come in 1/2 towable, friend bought one that was 24' fifth, 4500# dry for double tow. I bought a 24' bumper pull dutchman lite trailer thinking I'd get better mileage, maybe 1, 1 1/2 mpg better tops. Your pushing wind, same as a 30' or 16'. The weight will not affect it that much until you hit the hills. I have a 04 F 250 Crew Cab short box with 6.0l. 03-04 F250/F350 Crew Cab with 6.0l have had more issues than I care to think about. Also they have a very weak front axle, 10300 lbs is max fifth wheel I can pull, most new 1/2 tns can do more. I get 9-11 mpg pulling camper, 6300 lbs loaded, depending on wind, gooseneck 6 1/2' x 24 horse trailer I get 12-14. Highway 70mph @2100 rpms 16 tops empty. Oil change are 15 qts of oil, $20 oil filter, and on the 6.0l the air filter is $ 75.00 for a fram disposable. If a injector goes bad or turbo or egr BIG $$$$$, which is common on this truck. Love the power, drains the checking account.

/ Diesel pickups? #43  
Well I stand corrected on that one. Never dreamed they would do that.

What do I call a 1 ton truck rated for towing 21K lbs? INSANE!!! I never imagined the numbers game would get this far. That's just downright nuts IMHO. I have pulled 10K+ myself but 20K+ with a pickup?

/ Diesel pickups? #44  
What do I call a 1 ton truck rated for towing 21K lbs? INSANE!!! I never imagined the numbers game would get this far. That's just downright nuts IMHO. I have pulled 10K+ myself but 20K+ with a pickup?

Yeah, I'm waiting for front axle duallies to come out for braking purposes. ;) I can't imagine trying to stop that much weight with a pickup truck.

/ Diesel pickups? #45  
Well I stand corrected on that one. Never dreamed they would do that.

With the proper trailer, trailer brakes and everything secured as it should, it's a walk in the park. I towed just over 21,000 pounds from southern Arizona to Indiana no problem. No real difference than driving a rough riding car. And, trust me, I've had plenty of those idiots pull right out in front of me! Seriously, if I couldn't stop the load I was hauling, those people would have been seriously killed. I don't think a Toyota Camry can take a 50 mph, 28,000 pound shot in the driver's side door and have anyone live. Ford's built in system does an excellent job of keeping the trailer from jackknifing on you too. You don't know how much I wanted to run completely over the rear of their car out of sheer anger! No, I never want to kill someone for their own stupidity, but sometimes I'd love to cost them a chunk of change and have their insurance premiums go up. But, that would have delayed my trip for days...

/ Diesel pickups? #47  
Everyone has their own likings, needs and defense for what they own. I have owned 2 Power Strokes, 1 half-ton gas GMC and now a 2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax. For my use, the Dmax has so far been the best all around.

That's my experience and what I like. It's up to you to decide if you want or need a gas or diesel. Do some research on cost of ownership on them both. Take the mpg into consideration, resale values, service costs and intervals, etc. Neither one is cheap so make an educated decision.

/ Diesel pickups? #48  
You think that had something to do with it eating transmissions too? :eek: LOL, the guys who installed the last ATS transmission in it were my buddies at the Dodge dealership. I had the ATS shipped in to them and they installed it for me. To "break in" the new transmission, I did a nice burnout for just over 200 yards. Those 4 streaks lasted for almost a year! But, hey, that was the transmission that ended up lasting. Maybe that's what you need to do. :)

Still, as I just posted, I totally expect that heavily modified Cummins to go 400k miles or more. Seriously. If a Snap On micrometer can be trusted, it was literally showing no measurable wear at around 100k miles; when it started taking steroids. :D

my Ppumed 01 24v is pushing 300k. there was no wear at 150 when we tore it down and did a insane amount of internal mods. the Ppump came after the internal mods and the big single turbo. kept blowing the diaphram in the scheid vp44 hotrods. have had the ppump on it for a 2 years now and its been super reliable.

/ Diesel pickups? #50  
5th wheel pretty much guarantees a 3/4 ton or bigger. Remember that 5th wheels are supposed to put 20% of their weight onto the truck bed so a 5000# trailer will set 1000# of weight in the bed. You will find that not many trucks are up to that much payload. For instance, a typical diesel F250 from the last decade with crew cab and 4x4 weighs 7500 lbs. The GVWR is 8800 so you can legally load 1300# into the bed before you exceed your ratings.

My last truck was a 1998 half ton chevy that I really liked. Empty weight was 5800 and GVWR was 6200 so I could only load 400 lbs into the bed. Two fat chicks.

Current truck is a 2000 F350 diesel. 7500# empty and 9900# GVWR so I can haul 2400# of cargo and a pretty decent sized 5th wheel.

I don't really think that the diesel engine is all that much better than a good gas engine. It's noisy, and power is not as snappy as the gas. Better mpg and torque but not so much better to make up for the costs or humongous expense of engine work.

"Two fat chicks"??? 200 pounders can be a lot of fun, just don't let yer buddies see ya!!!! 2 at once is pretty ambitious tho.....