Diesel pickups?

/ Diesel pickups? #51  
"Two fat chicks"??? 200 pounders can be a lot of fun, just don't let yer buddies see ya!!!! 2 at once is pretty ambitious tho.....

that just got me busted in the head by my wife :laughing:

/ Diesel pickups? #52  
I think your weights are light for the 5th wheel RV. I am thinking 9,000 lb plus dry weight. Even the ultra light bumper pulls are 5,000 plus pounds.

I agree.. my popup camper weighed 3,000 lbs..

Brian

/ Diesel pickups? #53  
my Ppumed 01 24v is pushing 300k. there was no wear at 150 when we tore it down and did a insane amount of internal mods. the Ppump came after the internal mods and the big single turbo. kept blowing the diaphram in the scheid vp44 hotrods. have had the ppump on it for a 2 years now and its been super reliable.

Like your experience, the head had never been off the truck at 100k miles. I think I had the valve lash adjusted at 80k or something just to be safe. It was right at 100k miles that I had the ARP head studs put in and O ringed the head. Only after that I put in the single hybrid turbo (I wanted twins, but you can get carried away with the $$'s really fast!). I think I was topping out at about 38psi? The 4500 RPM governor valve spring kit seemed to really make it come alive. That and the BHAF and 5" exhaust from manifold to tip. Fun stuff, but gets spendy and oh so easy to get carried away. :D

/ Diesel pickups? #54  
mine is more of a toy these days. flycut pistons schied high lift cam marine 340 injectors head is fire ring'd. block is girrdled 6in in and out schwitzer single(watercooled) 6k gov springs. bigest delivery valve schied cuts. its a money pit but it makes me happy :laughing: takes deisel and kero to light it off and healthy shot of ether

/ Diesel pickups? #55  
mine is more of a toy these days. flycut pistons schied high lift cam marine 340 injectors head is fire ring'd. block is girrdled 6in in and out schwitzer single(watercooled) 6k gov springs. bigest delivery valve schied cuts. its a money pit but it makes me happy :laughing: takes deisel and kero to light it off and healthy shot of ether

LOL, Scheid in Terrible Haute, IN did some of the work on mine and Kolb Diesel did some and I did some. I think my wife was going to suggest rehab. :eek: Yours sounds a bit wilder than mine, but with it (and my '06 F350) I sure can give those new Mustangs and Camaros a heck of a run. I have a toolbox in the bed of my dually as well as a 100 gallon fuel tank and it's a full crew cab dually. If they can't run off and hide from me they either want to know what the heck I have in my truck or want to fight. I don't get the ones who want to fight. I just tell them to stay in their car or I'll run over it. :D

I just pulled this machine http://www.takeuchi-us.com/pdfs/TB175.pdf about 170 miles last week. I did re-program it for towing and drove it really easy, but it did just fine. I don't want anymore than that though.

/ Diesel pickups? #56  
Holy Smokes 1950, that is a sickness you have there.

I'm just a puppy in this game w/ my 02 Ram (2wd).
Some bolt-on stuff and a expensive fueler box so far. Got a Airdog going in hopefully this weekend.

I believe I'm hooked. :drool:

/ Diesel pickups? #57  
scheid did my pump work and a few other odds and ends. antrim diesel in PA did the block and head work. ill be making the trip to scheids this year for diesel fest. the 24v will be trailered. the old 12v has enough balls to make the trip :D

/ Diesel pickups? #58  
"Two fat chicks"??? 200 pounders can be a lot of fun, just don't let yer buddies see ya!!!! 2 at once is pretty ambitious tho.....

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there:)

/ Diesel pickups?
I can see right here that diesels are more than I want to spend my time, energy or money on.
Thanks for your time guys.
Rob

/ Diesel pickups? #60  
I've been running diesel cars and a van since 1979.

Like the OP I'm interested in a truck to haul a yet to be purchased 5th wheel and also the trailer in my sig at full capacity.

Plus some leeway for bigger toys.

Due to my relative success with diesels and the tow capacity I'm looking for I wanted a dually diesel. Originally I wanted a Cummins. After a year of reading I've come to the conclusion the only relatively safe bet is a 7.3L Ford. Preferably a '01 to '03.5.

They seem to be available for $15 to $20K w/ about 150K miles.

One main concern is the gas mileage.

I've NEVER put gas in my diesels.

I've got a friend who is a very capable "car guy" who TWICE put gas in VW diesels. One time a quarter tank. Very bad for the motor.

I think if the OP wants something newer than the '03.5 series and is not concerned with towing 12,000 lbs a gasser would probably be better.