Diesel pickups?

/ Diesel pickups? #61  
Originally I wanted a Cummins. After a year of reading I've come to the conclusion the only relatively safe bet is a 7.3L Ford.
I don't know what you were reading but the Cummins is THE most reliable, most dependable, longest lasting diesel engine ever put in a pickup truck.
Plus the huge 7.3l made about 250hp/520lb.ft vs the much smaller 5.9l making 305hp/555lb.ft. The 7.3l powerstroke is a pig on diesel too.

/ Diesel pickups? #62  
I can see right here that diesels are more than I want to spend my time, energy or money on.
Thanks for your time guys.
Rob

Depending on your age, a diesel can last you a lifetime. As you live in NY where the roads are salted, a lifetime for a truck is 10 years on the body (give or take). Rust just gets it sooner than later. Sucks for you, but the north is a great place for southerners to find barely broken in drivetrains for their rust-free bodies. If you want to keep the price down by buying used, I would recommend a GM gasser with a NV4500 standard tranny and a 410 rearend. Not great on gas, but will pull hard and the tranny is one of the best. You can also find 8.1 liter bigblocks with the alison tranny. The 8.1 or 496 is a strong guzzler that provides tire shredding torque but does tend to use oil right out of the factory. The alison is one of the best auto trans made bar none. If you go small block I prefer the 5.7 or 6.0. The 5.3 is a good runner too. I have a 94 CK3500 with the 454 and a NV4500 with 410 gears. All the torque you could want down low, but underpowered at higher speeds. You can tow a load effortlessly up to 55mph. It just isn't designed for speed. Mine has 40K on it and not a spec of rust, looks brand new. I love the older squared body style. If I wanted it to be other than it is I'd drop a crate 502 in it or build the 454 that sits in it now. The build would entail throwing everyting away but the block and crank. Crime with such low miles.

/ Diesel pickups?
Depending on your age, a diesel can last you a lifetime. As you live in NY where the roads are salted, a lifetime for a truck is 10 years on the body (give or take). Rust just gets it sooner than later. Sucks for you, but the north is a great place for southerners to find barely broken in drivetrains for their rust-free bodies. If you want to keep the price down by buying used, I would recommend a GM gasser with a NV4500 standard tranny and a 410 rearend. Not great on gas, but will pull hard and the tranny is one of the best. You can also find 8.1 liter bigblocks with the alison tranny. The 8.1 or 496 is a strong guzzler that provides tire shredding torque but does tend to use oil right out of the factory. The alison is one of the best auto trans made bar none. If you go small block I prefer the 5.7 or 6.0. The 5.3 is a good runner too. I have a 94 CK3500 with the 454 and a NV4500 with 410 gears. All the torque you could want down low, but underpowered at higher speeds. You can tow a load effortlessly up to 55mph. It just isn't designed for speed. Mine has 40K on it and not a spec of rust, looks brand new. I love the older squared body style. If I wanted it to be other than it is I'd drop a crate 502 in it or build the 454 that sits in it now. The build would entail throwing everyting away but the block and crank. Crime with such low miles.

Hawg,
Thanks for the info but I really don't have a need for a big truck aside from the RV angle. It looks like now I'm going to look at Class C motor homes with an integral engine.
While I would like to be able to truck around the tractor when my friends need a hand it isn't imperative and 410 gears might give me lots of low end guts but I'd have to park it at the gas pump.
The salt roads here are brutal and ten years might even be stretching it especially considering that every summer the town tars and stones the roads so you get the pleasure of driving over sand paper as the stones pelt your undercarriage!
I still have the old F150 long bed beater that gets us around when we don't need 4WD and it does 90% of what we need at this point.

I can get a decent Class C used RV for 25k or less and be done with it. Life at this point is making less complex decisions. I don't need a 50 year roof, I won't live that long!

Rob

/ Diesel pickups? #64  
A little trick for the rust. I used to use a suction sand blast wand (about 25 bucks) in a jug of bar and chain oil. I'd put a smidgen of kerosene to cut the oil making it easier to spray (heat might help too) and sprayed inside the doors and underneath, and anything else I could reach. I don't know what is in bar and chain oil, but it was quite a good rust proofer. It sticks surprizingly well and I doubt I contributed too much to the demise of endangered species. I had folks tell me it would deteriorate the rubber body mounts and the like. Not sure, never had rubber lose a race with rust.

/ Diesel pickups?
A little trick for the rust. I used to use a suction sand blast wand (about 25 bucks) in a jug of bar and chain oil. I'd put a smidgen of kerosene to cut the oil making it easier to spray (heat might help too) and sprayed inside the doors and underneath, and anything else I could reach. I don't know what is in bar and chain oil, but it was quite a good rust proofer. It sticks surprizingly well and I doubt I contributed too much to the demise of endangered species. I had folks tell me it would deteriorate the rubber body mounts and the like. Not sure, never had rubber lose a race with rust.

Thanks for the info.
Rob

/ Diesel pickups? #66  
The best diesel pickup would be a late model ford with a 24 valve cummins turbo and an allison transmission. Now all we need to do is get all the maker together to build it.

/ Diesel pickups? #67  
As mentioned before I would not purchase a truck to run a tow/carry load near it's limits. I have an older F150 that I pulled a 12in Vermeer wood chipper with a few times and it was tough to get it started and stopped...won't do that anymore. My F150 is about to be replaced and my focus is more towards more towing capacity for rental equipment and pulling a dump trailer(yet to be purchased...struggling vs dumptruck). One option I'm considering is a used Ford with gas V10. I think for near $20K you should be able to get low mileage F350 V10 that is in the 2003-05 vintage. One thing about your location is that I assume you may have many hills to go up and down no matter which way you turn. Others can comment better than I about the V10s ability to deal with hilly environs.

/ Diesel pickups? #68  
One option I'm considering is a used Ford with gas V10. I think for near $20K you should be able to get low mileage F350 V10 that is in the 2003-05 vintage. One thing about your location is that I assume you may have many hills to go up and down no matter which way you turn. Others can comment better than I about the V10s ability to deal with hilly environs.

You can probably get one for less than that. I had a V10 in an Excursion and I wish I'd never sold it! :mad: By far, it was the smoothest running and quietest large engine I've ever owned. It will do a lot of down-shifting on interstate grades towing, but seems to have adequate power. Running empty, I actually averaged the exact same MPG in my V10 Excursion as I did with my 5.9 Durango, which was much smaller.

When I bought my V10 Excursion, the first thing I did was change the plugs and put anti-seize on the threads. The originals were already tight at 50k miles. If I'd waited until the 100k, like the manual stated, I think I would have had some stripped threads. After that, I changed the oil, oil filter and air filter and that's it in 5 years of driving. I'm trying to think of what all I can sell to get another. The problem is that the Excursions are starting to get a lot of miles on them.

/ Diesel pickups? #69  
Well I stand corrected on that one. Never dreamed they would do that.

What do I call a 1 ton truck rated for towing 21K lbs? INSANE!!! I never imagined the numbers game would get this far. That's just downright nuts IMHO. I have pulled 10K+ myself but 20K+ with a pickup?

Its done every day around here. Been doing it for 11 years with my Fords.

Chris

/ Diesel pickups? #70  
I don't know what you were reading but the Cummins is THE most reliable, most dependable, longest lasting diesel engine ever put in a pickup truck.
Plus the huge 7.3l made about 250hp/520lb.ft vs the much smaller 5.9l making 305hp/555lb.ft. The 7.3l powerstroke is a pig on diesel too.
The Cummins may be good, but in my readings and my BIL's experience the rest of the truck is prone to problems. My 7.3 L Ford customized MaxiVan has had next to 0 problems other than a blown waterpump at about 200K and still gets about 16mpg loaded on a trip.
However I agree that:
The best diesel pickup would be a late model ford with a 24 valve cummins turbo and an allison transmission. Now all we need to do is get all the maker together to build it.