Log Splitter

/ Log Splitter #21  
So here is an update:

I cut and split about 1 1/2 cords today, and I used my brother in law's splitter. I wanted to make a nice stack behind the house and didn't want to split it there, so I filled the PT's light material bucket straight out of the splitter. I then drove the PT around the house and stacked the wood out of the splitter. Besides the splitter being a piece of junk, the process went pretty well. It dawned on me that if I get a PT mounted splitter, I will lose the functionality of the bucket. I think that I am better off with a self contained splitter after all.

Very good thought process. :)

/ Log Splitter #22  
I am not familiar with a PT, but expect they work similiar to a skid steer. I use my skid bucket to place my log splitter, place my skid steer in position to recieved split wood from the splitter, hook up my remotes to the splitter, and stack the wood in the skid bucket as it is split. Guess you could call my system a "not mounted" skid steer splitter.

Occassionally I have to kill the motor on the skid to unhook or rehook the hydraulics to the splitter. Splitter can be set on blocks to a convienient height. My splitter still has the wheels and the "blown" original motor.

/ Log Splitter #23  
Good use of the hydraulics on the skid steer.

With my little PT425 I could fill the bucket too rapidly to make that a workable solution. I would constantly be disconnecting the splitter to move the split wood with the tractor. That's why I like to split right next to my wood pile.

My goal is to handle the wood as few times as possible. I have just opened up a lane into my woods so that I can now back my trailer right in there with the downed trees. I can now cut it into firewood length pieces, handle it once tossing it on the trailer, drive it home, handle it a second time splitting it directly next to the trailer and handling it a third time stacking the split pieces in its final place.

They say firewood is the fuel that warms you twice. Hhowever, it was warming me 4 and 5 times and that was a bit too much. :laughing:

/ Log Splitter #25  
Hey David, can you use one of these?

YouTube - skidsteer Firewood processor

Yes! I've seen that video. Quite an impressive piece of equipment. However, I have been happily married for 25 years a week from tomorrow and I would like to continue being married for a while longer! :laughing: I'm afraid I could not justify the purchase. :D

/ Log Splitter
So I got my new splitter, a Built Rite 11 HPWS. I got the 5" Cylinder option as well. The unit is really nice. I have done about two cords now and I am very happy.

Here are some pictures:

003-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

004-15.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-12.jpg

/ Log Splitter #29  
It looks like he has the automatic reversing valve, and a wedge lift valve, and a log lift. What the two lever automatic valve does is, you set both levers forward, and when the log has been split, one lever returns to neutral, the cylinder automaticly retracts, and the second lever goes to neutral ready for the next log.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/adspecs/AS9-6587.pdf

/ Log Splitter
It looks like he has the automatic reversing valve, and a wedge lift valve, and a log lift. What the two lever automatic valve does is, you set both levers forward, and when the log has been split, one lever returns to neutral, the cylinder automaticly retracts, and the second lever goes to neutral ready for the next log.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/adspecs/AS9-6587.pdf

Yeah, this unit has the Prince valves on it, and they work very well. The auto forward valve overrides the auto reverse valve until it reaches the end of the stroke, and then kicks out. You can stop the stroke early just by taking the forward valve out of auto. Very cool.