Log Splitter

/ Log Splitter
They also have the fast extend log splitter valve that rapidly starts the split, and if the wood is light stuff, it work fast. If it slows or stops, then pull the handle back a little, and it goes into the power mode.

Not quite sure how that works. I have a 22 GPM two stage pump. At full motor speed, the pump puts out 22 GPM. When the pressure rises above 800 psi, it drops down to 8 GPM. It stays at 8 GPM until the pressure drop below 400 psi, and then will kick back into high speed again. The valve I have sends all the pumps flow to the cylinder, unless it hits the high pressure bypass, which is around 2700 psi. If the valve transmits 22 GPM, how can the fast extend work any faster? Maybe it sends the return fluid back through somehow? I don't know.

Here is a pdf file on my pump, it is the 1300488.

http://www.haldex.com/Global/Hydraulics/Product Catalogs/hi_lo_pg_rev1203.pdf

I am definitely going to play with a few things on this splitter to tweak it out. That is pretty much normal for any PT owner, right? I think I want to split the valve blocks, and put in a flow control. The log lift is a little jumpy, and this should mellow it out. Also, I was thinking of repowering it with a BS Vanguard 16 HP coupled to a 28 GPM pump. Now that would be hard core.... I know people that would buy my 22 GPM setup in a heartbeat.

Well anyways it is not Christmas yet.... I have split about 4 cords with it so far, and it does a great job as is. Maybe I'll just leave it alone.

/ Log Splitter #42  
I actually split wood by hand for an hour today! :confused2: It felt pretty good. It was maple, really straight and tight grain. When I was using the splitter on it last week I noticed that the splitter would not get into it even one inch and it would just POP! and split cleanly. So today I split some 20" diameter rounds right on the ground with 3 whacks of the maul. Each piece after that only took 1 whack a pop. It was actually easier than moving the rounds around and lifting them onto the splitter! :laughing: I saved the knotty pieces for the splitter. There is no way I could have split my locust like that! :licking:

/ Log Splitter #43  
The fast extend splitter valves are designed to work with a standard pump, not two stage pumps. The volume of fluid in the fast extend mode comes from the rod side of the cyl, and adds to the volume from the pump to give about 4 times more volume to the flow. 4 GPM's from the tractor pump increase the volume to about 16 GPM at the cyl. The fast extend mode is high flow and low pressure.

The fast extend valve would be most likely used with a 3pt splitter using fluid from a low volume tractor pump.

/ Log Splitter #44  
The fast extend splitter valves are designed to work with a standard pump, not two stage pumps. The volume of fluid in the fast extend mode comes from the rod side of the cyl, and adds to the volume from the pump to give about 4 times more volume to the flow. 4 GPM's from the tractor pump increase the volume to about 16 GPM at the cyl. The fast extend mode is high flow and low pressure.

The fast extend valve would be most likely used with a 3pt splitter using fluid from a low volume tractor pump.

Is that similar to regenerative hydraulics on a loader?

/ Log Splitter #46  
So I got my new splitter, a Built Rite 11 HPWS. I got the 5" Cylinder option as well. The unit is really nice. I have done about two cords now and I am very happy.

Here are some pictures:

003-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

004-15.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-12.jpg

Very Nice splitter

/ Log Splitter #47  
Very nice splitter Scooby. If I had had a tag along splitter even a simple one I would not have needed to built one. You see even with a simple one I think the Pt would really complement it. You know placing big cuts on it and hauling wood around while splitting.
Being as my dad gave his splitter away to my brother in law thinking it would be around for us all. Well brother in law gave it to his son and it left the country. Well I came up with this as simple and cheep as it could be using the PT hydraulics. It runs off the PTO and has a very fast cycle time. Like 10 seconds. If one wanted to he could use the auxiliary. Should be around a 30 second cycle time for 24 inch stroke. 4 cylinder. As I was telling one thing my splitter does do is tie the Pt up. BUT it can be turned over and used flat or upside down and placed over the cut. It is handy about moving large cuts around too.
To turn it over you place it on the ground and just roll it over. I am right proud of my splitter but i would trade with ya and give boot. enjoy you wood cutting and especially the splitting.

Attachments

• 757141-woodsplitter%20new[1].jpg
    757141-woodsplitter%20new[1].jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,358
   / Log Splitter #48  
Scooby074 Just wondering how things are going with the 11 HDWS ? Tomorrow I will put a down payment on the same machine .Have lots of heavy work lined up for the Built Rite , hope it will preserve what is left of my lower back. Thanks for the great pics of the machine !

/ Log Splitter #49  
Scooby074 Just wondering how things are going with the 11 HDWS ? Tomorrow I will put a down payment on the same machine .Have lots of heavy work lined up for the Built Rite , hope it will preserve what is left of my lower back. Thanks for the great pics of the machine !

Tony, that's not my splitter. I just quoted a poster in this thread and his pictures came along for the ride:)

I actually built my own, copying Timberwolf's design rather than buying a manufactured unit. I created a thread to detail the build here : http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/219145-woodsplitter-build-timberwolf-clone.html

IMG_3550.jpg

/ Log Splitter #50