Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #501  
Happy 50 pages Sam! I have been reading this with anticipation for a long time now. Lot's of larning by doing this. Putting this project (and all the others who have posted their experiences) under my hat. Hope to some day use thus stuff for my own alternative, independent oriented home.

Projects like these are one of independence. TBN is a lot of fun for it.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #502  
Sam, I see you are using the oak leaf reinforcement matrix in your floor.;):laughing: It must be really fun trying to keep all the leaves from piling up in the corners on a windy day.:thumbdown:

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Happy 50 pages Sam! I have been reading this with anticipation for a long time now. Lot's of learning by doing this. Putting this project (and all the others who have posted their experiences) under my hat. Hope to some day use thus stuff for my own alternative, independent oriented home.

Projects like these are one of independence. TBN is a lot of fun for it.

Thanks for recognizing the importance of independent living and we are all glad to fill you head with the many possibilities.

Sam, I see you are using the oak leaf reinforcement matrix in your floor.;):laughing: It must be really fun trying to keep all the leaves from piling up in the corners on a windy day.:thumbdown:

I never try to fight Mother Nature. We plan on collecting those leafy reinforcements until we are ready to pour, then we will make an effort to clean up. I wonder it they could add strength? Not!

I decided to go with 3/4" PEX in the garage to provide a more efficient way to dump the boiler's energy during a power loss. We will have a DC backup system which will continue to move the heat energy into the garage floor. We will also be able to use the garage floor for normal heating. The PEX staples are supposed to work with this 3/4" PEX tubing but it is a bit of a stretch. The kitchen and great room are complete. We have to complete the garage PEX and rebar and the utility room area. We have had a few cold days and look forward to finishing the floors and installing the windows and doors to run some heat to provide some comfort if we get a cold spell.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #506  
Sam, forgive me if you've answered this question, but how do you pressure test the PEX? Do you use air pressure and a gage to monitor over 24 hours? If there is a leak while testing, how do you locate it? I am truly amazed at your precise routing and the amount of time that PEX is being exposed while you finish the rebar. You are really close to done and it looks terrific.

Air pressure and air gauge is the method to monitor for leaks. Some fluctuations in the pressure are expected during the curing process. Inspect all boots to be worn on the PEX during the pour and finish, clean any and all material that may cut or puncture the PEX such as broken wire ties and inspect for any damage to the PEX prior to the pour. Install and pressurize the monitoring devices, check and repair leaks and note deviation in pressure during temperature swings. To locate the leak isolate the defective loop by closing valves on the manifold. To locate the actual damage in the PEX during the pour this can be difficult considering the finishers are most likely to be the only ones that may be able to view the gauges unless to point them toward a window and use binoculars to view. I am not sure you could do a repair during the pour but you may note the air bubbles surfacing in a particular area. Ultimately you will need the specialized equipment to isolate any damage during and after the pour.

We run short on the 5/8" rebar. We will call for pricing tomorrow but I am sure we won't get close to the $6.50 per 20' stick. We are also short on chairs and our Stego tape. We are going to get a sheet of the 2" extruded polystyrene insulation board to raise the 4"x12" HVAC saddles above the slab. I fabricated an interesting support for the 2500 lb wood boiler. Pictures attached.

I invited a fellow Terra Dome home owner builder Les Stockton to visit and add his thought and opinions but these are busy times. Anyway anyone interested in checking out his build can do so by visiting the following link: Stockton Earth Home Project

Last edited:
We picked up 30 sticks of the 5/8"x 20' grade 60 rebar for $7.80 each. A better price than I thought it would be. We got most of the steel installed in the garage.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #510  
There's a cold front coming in today and will last through early next week. You may be blocking some north and west side doors/windows to keep out the snow drifts. I hear on the weather that you could get up to 2" of snow.:(