Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Sam, it looks great, but the wife looks like she is done with this little project of yours ;-)

Believe me my wife and I have had our moments of despair. This LITTLE project is way more than I had imagined. It has always been way easier to think it out in my head, than to actually do it for real. Plus I have this problem with over doing things. I would like to think that these extras will make a difference.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #522  
Sam, congratulations. Major milestone. I know how it feels to get the floors in place; more-so for you since you're doing most of the actual work. Now all that's left are the details...

One way I've heard managers estimate project time is to take the engineer's estimate and multiply by pi.

Steve
Maine

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #523  
Sam, congratulations. Major milestone. I know how it feels to get the floors in place; more-so for you since you're doing most of the actual work. Now all that's left are the details...

One way I've heard managers estimate project time is to take the engineer's estimate and multiply by pi. Cherry, pumpkin, apple, or blueberry?:licking:

Steve
Maine

test

tom

A few more finished pictures shoot with a 12MP camera

Last edited:
We have been cleaning up and installing our windows. We have all but two installed. The concrete finishers covered one of our floor outlets. It will take some effort to grind the hole to a precision fit to our brass receptacle cover. Our crew also didn't have a clue when it came too adjusting the height of our floor drains and clean out. They only need to turn to turn them to go up or down to match the proper elevation. Other than that they did a great job. I think we got closer to an average five inch pour. We sealed the garage doors and will cover the other three outside doors to keep the heat while we work on finishing the inside.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #527  
Wow -- it's amazing how you go along an post all your hard work at each grinding step of the way. Then a 'little bit' of concrete and some windows and BAM it looks so much closer to done!

I was thinking, now that you are likely well past over budget, one of the compromises of having a home with windows is it is hard to make it secure for the sake of home defense (knowing one of your stated goals is the world goes to ****-in-a-hand-basket). Windows are hard to make a home defensible. I have been throwing that around in between my ears as we discuss our various dream home ideas. We have a tri level and have installed rolling shutters on the garden level area (as much for dark as anything else).

They would make good solutions for your home. Most are metal, insulated, and hurricane rated. All are designed for letting in a bit of light and maintaining the security device (a 2 cent solution that really works) And really simple to install -- way over priced at the home shows. Ours are manually operated (spring loaded strap).

Just me thinking.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #528  
Sam, it's good to see you are preparing for house warming. Not "the" house warming, but literally warming up inside.;) Windows and doors should prepare you for the Jan/Feb 2-month winter we have here. It'll also keep your interior much cleaner and maybe give that shopvac a little rest.:thumbsup:

Wow -- it's amazing how you go along an post all your hard work at each grinding step of the way. Then a 'little bit' of concrete and some windows and BAM it looks so much closer to done!

I was thinking, now that you are likely well past over budget, one of the compromises of having a home with windows is it is hard to make it secure for the sake of home defense (knowing one of your stated goals is the world goes to ****-in-a-hand-basket). Windows are hard to make a home defensible. I have been throughing that around in between my ears as we discuss our various dream home ideas. We have a tri level and have installed rolling shutters on the garden level area (as much for dark as anything else).

They would make good solutions for your home. Most are metal, insulated, and hurricane rated. All are designed for letting in a bit of light and maintaining the security device (a 2 cent solution that really works) And really simple to install -- way over priced at the home shows. Ours are manually operated (spring loaded strap).

Just me thinking.

We as humans require the sun and windows are part of our daily diet. As for the Domesday possibilities, we will adapt but hope for the best. If it really gets bad we were planning on placing heavy steel plates in front of the windows and back filling and or sand bagging. Your roll down steel cover is a great ideal. Thanks!! It can be deployed quickly for severe weather or to keep the most people out.

I do agree that it feels so much closer to being done. We are pleased to begin working in a warm dry place. Also my hands wont miss the steel and concrete work.

Sam, it's good to see you are preparing for house warming. Not "the" house warming, but literally warming up inside.;) Windows and doors should prepare you for the Jan/Feb 2-month winter we have here. It'll also keep your interior much cleaner and maybe give that shopvac a little rest.:thumbsup:

Controlling our climate in the work area will enable us to forge ahead through this winter. As for the shop vac getting a rest, forget that we all would like a brake but until we get in this house we are going to whittle away at the list of tasks. Thanks for you encouragement.