Soot on my FEL

/ Soot on my FEL #41  
The lightning's only visible damage was leaving tiny pits in the prop blades. The money comes in when you replace the prop, remove the turbine to replace a costly main bearing (required after lightning hit, as a precaution??) and thoroughly check out the rest of the plane and, most especially, all the electronic gear. Plus, in my brother's case, shampoo the pilot's seat upholstery. Just kidding. My brother is a very successful manufacturer of geo thermal equipment, and has all the toys he wants. This plane is just one of several, plus a helicopter! He seems to be a skilled pilot, unlike me.

/ Soot on my FEL
The lightning's only visible damage was leaving tiny pits in the prop blades. The money comes in when you replace the prop, remove the turbine to replace a costly main bearing (required after lightning hit, as a precaution??) and thoroughly check out the rest of the plane and, most especially, all the electronic gear. Plus, in my brother's case, shampoo the pilot's seat upholstery. Just kidding. My brother is a very successful manufacturer of geo thermal equipment, and has all the toys he wants. This plane is just one of several, plus a helicopter! He seems to be a skilled pilot, unlike me.

Great stuff. Nice to hear someone doing well for them-self. He's a smart man not taking any chances. Tip my lid to both of you :thumbsup:

/ Soot on my FEL #43  
Paul: I wouldn't say that he did all that for his own peace of mind: it was required by the FAA's rules and regs. I would imagine that commercial planes have even more costly procedures they have to have when hit. Just part of the cost of flying that we don't think about. Insurance! Plus, maybe that's why flying is as safe as it is, mostly. Follow the rules, and chances are you'll survive. Get sloppy, and take your chances.

/ Soot on my FEL #44  
Here is how I get off soot and it comes right off. Get some white wall cleaner, mix about 6 to 1 with water, spray on and let it set 1 to 2 min. then spray with water. Do not put it on with out cleaning it off with water.

/ Soot on my FEL
Here is how I get off soot and it comes right off. Get some white wall cleaner, mix about 6 to 1 with water, spray on and let it set 1 to 2 min. then spray with water. Do not put it on with out cleaning it off with water.

Good tip but the best for me was to find a way to keep the soot off in the first place. I just got sick of cleaning the left loader arm all the time. I seen a Kubota a few months ago and the left fel arm looks like it was painted black because of the soot. Now that I made the attachment to the exhaust I never have to clean it. It's been soot free for over a year :)

/ Soot on my FEL #47  
The only thing more expensive than anything labeled aviation is something labeled medical.

I know all about that. Brakes for my plane are $22,000 a set and are time limited to 350 landings no matter what the condition. It cost me $252 per hour per engine just for maintenance reserves. I burnt 252 gallons per hour last year at roughly $5.50 per gallon.

Crazy. Glad I just fly it and don't pay the bills. Its not uncommon for me to spend $20,000 on fuel alone in a busy week like this one.

To put this all in prospective, to operate a 10 passenger corporate jet its about $4000 per hour once you factor in hanger, fuel, pilots salaries, mechanics salaries, training (about $50,000 per year for 4 of us), parts, inspections, insurance, landing fees, ect. This is based on a 400 hour flying year, the average. More flying the fixed cost go down per hour. Less flying the fixed cost go up per hour.

I have done the math over and over and still can not see how a airline can make money????

Chris

/ Soot on my FEL #48  
Chris:

Just think how much the taxpayers are being soaked for by Oscama for all his trips on Air Force 1.

I agree with you about airlines making money...I don't see how either.

/ Soot on my FEL #49  
Chris:

Just think how much the taxpayers are being soaked for by Oscama for all his trips on Air Force 1.

I agree with you about airlines making money...I don't see how either.

Millions of dollars. What most people do not realize is when any president goes out of the country with maybe the exception of Canada, they not only fly the his plane but up 20 support planes. I worked with a Secret Service Guy who does security work now. He said when ***** went on one trip they took two airplanes, one basically empty, as a backup. They also flew 7 cargo planes with support equipment and fuel for the return trip because there was question on the fuel quality at the destination.

Pelosi and here 757 cost us $100,000 each trip back and forth to Cali. What kills me is she is a pilot and has her own broom...LOL!

Chris

/ Soot on my FEL #50  
Pelosi and here 757 cost us $100,000 each trip back and forth to Cali. What kills me is she is a pilot and has her own broom...LOL!

Chris

She can't be a real pilot, that takes some common sense. She says unemployment stimulates the economy!
OK, now I'm gonna go hang myself after seeing that hangar picture. :drool: