W.R. Long third function kit

/ W.R. Long third function kit #1  

jcliburn

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I'm about to pull the trigger on a W.R. Long third function electric over hydraulic kit for my 2008 Kubota MX5100 with LA844 FEL.

I've called four different dealers in two states for pricing. Three quoted the identical price of $571 for the valve kit and $95 for the bulkhead plate, plus shipping/freight; and one quoted "about $1300" for the same outfit. Guess I won't be going with that last guy... (Shame too, because he was the closest W.R. Long dealer to me -- about 25 miles).

According to the dealer(s), the kit comes with everything I'll need -- valve, wire, switch, hoses, fittings, couplers, etc.

W.R. Long's web site says the most common location for installing the valve is the inside of the starboard FEL post. I guess I'll see if that's the best location when I get the kit laid out. I'd appreciate any hints from other users of this kit on similarly sized Kubota tractors.

I'm also interested to learn where you might have connected the solenoid electrical supply.

I might be consulting the experts here in the hydraulics forum in a week or two. :)

/ W.R. Long third function kit #2  
Does Kubota make a 3rd function valve kit for the MX5100? If so, did you check on Kubota's price?

/ W.R. Long third function kit #4  
Put one on L3130, real simple, just make sure you torque down all fittings so they do not leak. Went to fuse box and tapped the switched buss and put in a seperate fuse and holder in. When routing wires to switch from solenoid make sure not to get them into pinch points and I added spade terminal connectors to solenoid wires so if you wanted you could reverse switch logic for your own preference, dressed, sleaved and tied all wires up and works good.

David Kb7uns

/ W.R. Long third function kit #5  
I didn't check, after reading posts on TBN complaining of exorbitant prices for Kubota valve kits.

I only ask because I bought a Kubota unit for my tractor. It fit perfectly... from plubling to electrical to the mounting of the valve itself. I could tell when I stalled it that it was made for my tractor. Sometimes a few extra bucks is worth it when it is made by the manufacturer specifically for your tractor.

My 3rd function valve was $900.

No biggy... just asking.

/ W.R. Long third function kit #6  
I installed one (WR Long) on my L3400... It fit perfectly, from plumbing to electrical to the mounting of the valve itself... felt like it was made for my tractor, and was $400 less than the Kubota kit.

Not trying to be sarcastic... my point is that the WR Long kit is excellent. WR Long is great to deal with also... any questions and Nelson Long is only a phone call away. You will have no problem speaking to him directly, and he enjoys talking you through the solution to any questions you may have.

/ W.R. Long third function kit #7  
The Valve is mounted with u-bolts in front of your right foot on the horizontal bar that is part of your loader frame. This kit is one of the easier ones to install. If you have any questions you are welcome to call.

Nelson

/ W.R. Long third function kit #8  
I have gone about things just backwards, I suppose: I've purchased a 66" root grapple AND 3rd function valve kit (WR Long) and NOW trying to find out how to install it all. My tractor is a New Holland TC40DA (w/hydrostat trans, 16LA FEL, & back hoe). The 3rd function kit came with paltry instructions, but didn't account for having back hoe attached. I am sure there are tons of posts across the Forum on the subject and/or should start my own thread(?), but I am really stumped on how to hook up the hydraulics for this. Any help or even directions to proper thread(s) would be greatly appreciated.

/ W.R. Long third function kit #9  
I happen to know the guy that designed this valve kit. Please call me and I'll be happy to help you with any questions.

Nelson

252-823-4570

I have gone about things just backwards, I suppose: I've purchased a 66" root grapple AND 3rd function valve kit (WR Long) and NOW trying to find out how to install it all. My tractor is a New Holland TC40DA (w/hydrostat trans, 16LA FEL, & back hoe). The 3rd function kit came with paltry instructions, but didn't account for having back hoe attached. I am sure there are tons of posts across the Forum on the subject and/or should start my own thread(?), but I am really stumped on how to hook up the hydraulics for this. Any help or even directions to proper thread(s) would be greatly appreciated.

/ W.R. Long third function kit
nvlong4n1 said:
I happen to know the guy that designed this valve kit. Please call me and I'll be happy to help you with any questions.

Nelson

252-823-4570

What a great place TBN is! I think this Internet thing might just catch on.

I picked up my 3rd function kit today and will install it in the next few days.

Jay