Where to weld bucket hooks?

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #71  
You all know that you can lift more, lifting from the back of the bucket, the point closest to the lift pins so why not weld an upside hook by each lift cyl. and a 2 in receiver on the top for all the other accessory's. To lift from one point, connect a chain from both hooks and lift from the middle of the chain. I don't think I would want to bend the lip of the bucket with the total lifting weight on one chain. You could weld one of the hooks straight, and 2 in beside that, weld another one upside down. You then have covered all possibility's. So, two kooks by each cyl, and a 2 in receiver in the middle top.

Without any doubt, you've forgotten more about hydraulics than I'll ever know. However, anyone I've ever seen with a hook on the back of their bucket has also had a smashed in hood, bent hood guard and/or damaged radiator. Apparently, if you're going to pickup and carry anything over any distance it will inevitably swing and, with it right next to your hood and radiator, it will quickly mangle your tractor's appearance.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #72  
I am having similar trouble with figuring out a receiver hitch on my bucket. My bucket doesn't have that nice, flat top like the ones in the picture. Instead the top of the bucket has a 2" steel pipe integrated for strength and the back of the bucket slopes down about 60 degrees. If I put the hitch on the slope, it points to the sky, and if I roll the bucket forward it seems like the cutting edge digs into the ground.
ac

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #73  
I am having similar trouble with figuring out a receiver hitch on my bucket. My bucket doesn't have that nice, flat top like the ones in the picture. Instead the top of the bucket has a 2" steel pipe integrated for strength and the back of the bucket slopes down about 60 degrees. If I put the hitch on the slope, it points to the sky, and if I roll the bucket forward it seems like the cutting edge digs into the ground.
ac

can you post a picture of it? maybe someone can come up with an idea to help

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #74  
can you post a picture of it? maybe someone can come up with an idea to help

I attached a pic I found on the web. You can see the top edge of the bucket is a pipe and you can see that the top/back is at quite an angle.
ac

Attachments

• BucketJPG.JPG
    BucketJPG.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 834
   / Where to weld bucket hooks? #75  
I attached a pic I found on the web. You can see the top edge of the bucket is a pipe and you can see that the top/back is at quite an angle.
ac

It could be done, just take a little more work, you would need some triangle shaped gusset plates welded to the back of the bucket to get the receiver tube up level at the top of the bucket.

JB.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #76  
these seem to work okay, the shackle in the middle worked good too, until i used it for a trailer ball.

Attachments

• buckethooks.jpg
    buckethooks.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 1,052
   / Where to weld bucket hooks? #77  
these seem to work okay, the shackle in the middle worked good too, until i used it for a trailer ball.

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone weld a clevis shackle with flattened ends for mousing to their bucket. I have to assume that the tractor is relatively small based on the stamped 1/8" mild steel bucket, but you would still be less likely to bend your bucket using a weld on hook if you're going to weld it on and then welding it to a piece of 1/4" plate welded to your bucket that would pull over a larger area of the 1/8" bucket. Personally, I've never been very good at straightening a bucket after it's been bent out of shape. If you're just using the pin on hooks you have welded to your bucket to hold material on the tines, I can see where you'd likely not ever bend your bucket with them.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #78  
It could be done, just take a little more work, you would need some triangle shaped gusset plates welded to the back of the bucket to get the receiver tube up level at the top of the bucket.

JB.

That was my thought/plan at this point. I can't live w/out a receiver hitch on my bucket and call life "complete".
ac

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #79  
That was my thought/plan at this point. I can't live w/out a receiver hitch on my bucket and call life "complete".
ac

Or an L shaped piece like in the picture in post #76 above.

JB.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #80  
I have to assume that the tractor is relatively small based on the stamped 1/8" mild steel bucket, but you would still be less likely to bend your bucket using a weld on hook if you're going to weld it on and then welding it to a piece of 1/4" plate welded to your bucket that would pull over a larger area of the 1/8" bucket

the outboard hooks are fine to the maximum capacity of the loader, they are in a very rigid area, and wrapping them around the bend makes the bucket more rigid and stronger at the lifting point.

the shackle in the middle is there specifically to be the 'fusible link'... i put it there to fail first, before bending the bucket. in as much as the downward and twisting force of the trailer hitch was absorbed by the shackle, an overloading in a lifting capacity would do the same. since this picture was taken, a few good smacks with a 6lbs hammer has repaired the damage to the shackle without causing any damage to the bucket.

the plan obviously works.

if you overload the bucket across a larger section, you simply spread the damage over a greater area... effectively causing more damage. :2cents