At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,651  
Get some ramps and drive the lawn mower into the back of the truck. Harbor freight has them on sale all the time. I would use the back of the truck for boards and things too. For the stuff around the property a small flatbed trailer with stake pockets can be very versatile with a little work. My go to is always Craigslist to find a deal.
Tororider,
Driving my mower up 6' ramps into my tall truck would be scary. I have driven the mower into my truck bed using 8' long boards. That was scary too.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,652  
I have started looking at Craigslist for trailers. I'm considering a 5x8 tilt trailer. I seem to think I would like a tilt trailer better than a rear gate-ramp trailer. I curious if any of you guys have any experience with the pros/cons of each.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,653  
Tororider,
Driving my mower up 6' ramps into my tall truck would be scary. I have driven the mower into my truck bed using 8' long boards. That was scary too.

Obed
I've done it with 8' ramps (2x8's) on a friends JD riding lawnmower into my F250 (similar height to yours). Having some hill to work with helps a lot. I also have those steel ramp ends on the top of the ramps that helps a TON. Like these, only I just have the top brackets:
Insta-Ramp Steel Ramp Kit — 8in., Tops & Feet, Model# RAMP1K | Ramp Kits | Northern Tool + Equipment
It's one of those things that looks so overpriced you tell yourself, "I could make that!" But then you don't get around to it for years and finally breakdown and buy them, and wish you had years ago... :)

/ At Home In The Woods #3,654  
Trailer Suggestions Please
Hitting the garage with my big trailer made up my mind that I am going to buy a small trailer that is easy to hitch up and maneuver. Today, I carried our riding lawnmower to the repair shop on our big trailer rated to carry 12,000 lbs. Besides being overkill, hauling small stuff with the big trailer is quite a hassle. When hitched up to my crew cab duelly, the truck and trailer rig is about 50 ft long and can be quite difficult to maneuver in a lot of places. The only thing for which I really need the big trailer is to transport my tractor.

Here are the things I would want to do with a smaller trailer:
  • - Transport my riding lawn mower
  • - Carry boards and other home maintenance supplies from the store
  • - Pull firewood around our property using my tractor
  • - Possibly haul off limbs and other tree and brush debris
Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should look for in a trailer? I would love the trailer to be light weight.

Just curious Your a computer guy right? At least thats what i though you did for a living.

Im asking cause your setup looks like you were a contractor. You can sell that 12K trailer and buy 2 smaller ones. That tractor and all the implements that will fit will easily load onto a 7K trailer and then you can get a 4x8 for lawnmowers and wood and lumber. That trailer is really a hinderance like you have observed.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,655  
Tororider,

Obed

Do you have a ditch or a bank you can back to? I though i saw one in one of your pics somewhere, like a cut bank. You either back your rear set of tires into a ditch or upto a ditch or bank use 6-7 boards to load/unload the lawnmower. I have done it a bunch back into the small and i mean small ditch infront of my house and put the boards on and its almost straight into the bed. THis is a ditch you can mow with a rider and not feel close to tipping. I also have an old square body chevy 4x4 with a few inches of lift and 33" tires, my point in this is my tailgate on level ground is near my waist/hips and im 6'2". Or if you have a cut bank in your yard that you can back to just back to it and then drive the mower around onto the hill then load it.

If your scared you can always walk it up, either by pushing it or like a 4 wheeler i just sometimes put in gear and press the gas while walking beside it. A hydro stat mower works the same way just bump it fwd. If you get your tires in a ditch the boards will bout be flat.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,656  
I have started looking at Craigslist for trailers. I'm considering a 5x8 tilt trailer. I seem to think I would like a tilt trailer better than a rear gate-ramp trailer. I curious if any of you guys have any experience with the pros/cons of each.

Obed, I bought a 5'X8' Landscape trailer with a fold down mesh gate from Craig's list for $350.00 with 15 " tires...I would advise you to be sure to make it 5' wide to accommodate any width mower deck on any lawnmower you may have or buy later..I like the fold down mesh gate as opposed to the tilt...I never felt comfortable with the tilt....I was always afraid the catch would not hold or would break...You will find many uses for the trailer...you can use it around your property too behind your tractor or even lawn mower..

/ At Home In The Woods #3,657  
I would guess that all those years of living in the trailer would make a person really want alot of stuff :) I hope you don`t end up with alot of thing parked outside, as after a while you get tired of the look..

As you are headed that way, you might want to locate where a good sized shed or mini barn could go that would be convenient to the house and where the garden is going to go....Believe me you will really want that in the near future....Tony

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,658  
Today my little girl and I finished our shelves/workbench. You can see she has her own yellow toy drill.

I put up the remaining two shelves on the top and left out the middle shelf so we can use the second shelf from the bottom as a workbench. In case we change our minds and would rather have the 5th shelf instead of a workbench, I tacked up an extra shelf support frame below the 3rd shelf from the bottom. I can always lower that extra frame to make another shelf. However, unless we make workbench somewhere else, the 5th shelf will probably never materialize.

243870d1325211303-home-woods-img_2474.jpg

I posted some pictures to show the view of the shelves from the stairs. My wife intends to be able to access the shelves from the stairwell without needing to descend all the way to the basement. In addition, she could only reach the taller shelves by using a step ladder if the starwell access wasn't available. That feature is a key reason why she chose to locate the shelves where they are.

Attachments

• IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 116
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,659  
dstig1 said:
I've done it with 8' ramps (2x8's) on a friends JD riding lawnmower into my F250 (similar height to yours). Having some hill to work with helps a lot. I also have those steel ramp ends on the top of the ramps that helps a TON. Like these, only I just have the top brackets:
Insta-Ramp Steel Ramp Kit — 8in., Tops & Feet, Model# RAMP1K | Ramp Kits | Northern Tool + Equipment
It's one of those things that looks so overpriced you tell yourself, "I could make that!" But then you don't get around to it for years and finally breakdown and buy them, and wish you had years ago... :)
Dave,
Those ramp brackets definitely look like the way to go. I may have to get a pair. Even if I get a utility trailer, I could see times when being able to load the mower into the truck bed would be handy. Thanks for the tip!
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,660  
Oh yeah they are handy as heck. Loading anything from a gas grill to a wheelbarrow is a breeze without having to worry about stepping up over the top of a protruding ramp to get it going. Much more stable, safer and easier to use. I even use them to load and unload my 400+lb splitter into the back of my truck. Again, a little hill goes a long way there....

edit - I've got the 2x8 version, but they also have a 2x12 one. Wider would be nice, but they would get heavier to handle. I doubled-up my 2x8's too, so they are pretty heavy for what they are. I need to do that for heavier loads, so going to doubled 2x12's would be rather beastly.