Buying Advice sub compact tractor

/ sub compact tractor #61  
Negative. The Max is longer, wider and higher than a subcut. My property and lots of others out there won't support that size machine.

You know what you should do in this situation. Don't buy it!! Radical, I know.

They come to TBN for advice, they are advised to get a subcut, they go shopping and run across this fantastic deal on this "subcut" called a Mahindra.

The machine looked small on the lot, but they get it home and it's too big, but, the TBN guys said get a subcut..........and the buyer did(according to Mahindra).

Now it's TBN's fault, cause we should have known that the "Mahindra subcut" was actually a "cut sized machine", but marketed as a subcompact.

So your one of those that pass the blame? I, for one, have taken 'the blame' for something that was more than likely more others fault than my own, because I'm an honest man and admit my mistakes. For someone to try and blame a forum for their tractor purchase is laughable at that. Sites like TBN are a crutch at best for tractor buyers, and if you actually watch the forum. Most people aren't pricing out different tractors, but asking how to use them, how to do this and that.
We as a community lose face with the public because Mahindra thinks they can reclassify at will and nobody will notice.

And what will this do to us? Shall we call the supreme court and demand end to this tyranny of Mahindra? They aren't reclassifying anything, but trying to move in the way they believe the market is going.
I disagree with Mahindra and their classification of the Max Series.

Through this, I'm just glad that you've finally admitted that it's what you believe. These are not facts your are pouring out. No math equation is able to say true or false. This is real life, where there are to many millions of variables for us to count to truly consider one is comparable to another, unless they are the exact same. Mahindra's goal is to BE DIFFERENT. They think by opening a different door they will open a market to a whole new untapped customer base, and as the sales show, they have done it very, very well.

/ sub compact tractor #62  
Don, you are ranting to the choir. If a person buys a major investment tool like a tractor based soley off advertising, then in my opinion he deserves to be contented or not with his purchase.
I dont know of anyone here that says buy a SCUT or CUT that is not followed by naming a brand that they are familiar with or own. Do a search and if you can find one instance of anyone recommending a tractor for a specific chore by say SCUT or CUT or Utility and not followed up by saying like a XXXX Kubota or XXXX John Deere or what ever brand that they have or wish they had. If you can find that I will gladly kiss your ***** and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd.
Your incessant ranting makes me think that you misplaced your meds.

/ sub compact tractor #63  
You know what you should do in this situation. Don't buy it!! Radical, I know.

So your one of those that pass the blame? I, for one, have taken 'the blame' for something that was more than likely more others fault than my own, because I'm an honest man and admit my mistakes. For someone to try and blame a forum for their tractor purchase is laughable at that. Sites like TBN are a crutch at best for tractor buyers, and if you actually watch the forum. Most people aren't pricing out different tractors, but asking how to use them, how to do this and that.

And what will this do to us? Shall we call the supreme court and demand end to this tyranny of Mahindra? They aren't reclassifying anything, but trying to move in the way they believe the market is going.

Through this, I'm just glad that you've finally admitted that it's what you believe. These are not facts your are pouring out. No math equation is able to say true or false. This is real life, where there are to many millions of variables for us to count to truly consider one is comparable to another, unless they are the exact same. Mahindra's goal is to BE DIFFERENT. They think by opening a different door they will open a market to a whole new untapped customer base, and as the sales show, they have done it very, very well.
No sense in replying to the rest of your rant, because it is nonsensical..........but this I will respond to.

The lines have been drawn for years regarding scuts/cuts...........just because you fail to understand them doesn't change anything. I have responded with nothing but facts, but for some reason........facts elude some in here.

Mahindra does not sell a subcompact tractor, the specifications bear these facts out.

/ sub compact tractor #64  
Don, you are ranting to the choir. If a person buys a major investment tool like a tractor based soley off advertising, then in my opinion he deserves to be contented or not with his purchase.
I dont know of anyone here that says buy a SCUT or CUT that is not followed by naming a brand that they are familiar with or own. Do a search and if you can find one instance of anyone recommending a tractor for a specific chore by say SCUT or CUT or Utility and not followed up by saying like a XXXX Kubota or XXXX John Deere or what ever brand that they have or wish they had. If you can find that I will gladly kiss your ***** and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd.
Your incessant ranting makes me think that you misplaced your meds.
Count your astericks.....1 too many!

I have produced proof that Mahindra is falsely advertising their product. What you choose to do is your choice.

But you and I both know that newcomers to TBN do in fact rely on our opinions, and it is our duty to hold their trust dearly, if you choose to shirk those duties......maybe TBN isn't the place for you.

/ sub compact tractor #65  
No sense in replying to the rest of your rant, because it is nonsensical..........but this I will respond to.

The lines have been drawn for years regarding scuts/cuts...........just because you fail to understand them doesn't change anything. I have responded with nothing but facts, but for some reason........facts elude some in here.

Mahindra does not sell a subcompact tractor, the specifications bear these facts out.

Ok. You keep saying that it's not a SCUT, but a SCUT is different to different people. Personally, I've been around larger tractors my whole life. A had a big Allis Chalmers that I owned forever, then the 5410 and I've used large construction equipment other large farm equipment. When I bought the 5410, it was because I was used to that size of a tractor. I could have easily gone with a compact, but it felt like a SCUT, because my 5410 felt like a CUT. Then I got my 3120 and that was even SCUTier to me. It was much smaller than I like, but admittedly it did the job ok. I'd much preferred my 5410 in many scenario's, though. The 3120 just felt to small, it felt like a SCUT to me. Am I wrong in thinking that my 3120 is a SCUT? It's my perception of it. But by labeling it as a SCUT what is it really doing? Nothing at all. Only labeling what I perceive to be a SCUT, a CUT and an UT. My SCUT 3120 is sure a heck more powerful than a SCUT, but which is which? Or is it only a perception?

PS: I did enjoy how you left out the factual parts of my previous post:laughing:

/ sub compact tractor #66  
Ok. You keep saying that it's not a SCUT, but a SCUT is different to different people. :
Wrong answer. A scut is clearly defined.........smaller you get a garden tractor, larger you get a compact utility tractor.

Your perception is of no consequence to this discussion. Facts is facts...........Mahindra does not sell a subcomact tractor.

/ sub compact tractor #67  
Don87 said:
Wrong answer. A scut is clearly defined.........smaller you get a garden tractor, larger you get a compact utility tractor.

Your perception is of no consequence to this discussion. Facts is facts...........Mahindra does not sell a subcomact tractor.

I'm confused. Last I checked Deere's 4720 (66HP) and Kubota's L5740 (60HP) are still considered CUTs. Though you may be saying that the B/2x20 size, the 3x20/L3x40 Lx40 size etc, etc are all SCUTs because they are indeed between a garden tractor and a CUT. This would also clearly define the MAX as a SCUT as it is definitely between a garden tractor and 4720, correct? Your definition is clearly much to vague. This will likely confuse a prospective buyer on what to preclude as SCUT, as that is the only form of classification.

/ sub compact tractor #68  
First, please don't get lost in the arguments, or conversations on here. Most people mean well, and are very brand loyal, and the fact of the matter is, there are a lot of great tractors out there. I have a Bolens Iseki, but If I was to buy a tractor for what you need it for, I would definitely go with a remanufactured Yanmar. They are the company that makes tractors for John Deere, and they are great machines for what you want to do. The best part is, you are going to get a tractor, with a new loader, and ROPS starting around $5k. They definitely do not break the bank. I own my tractor, and all of the implements, and no payments at the beginning of the month. They restore them from the ground up. This will be my next tractor purchase. I hope that you can find something that fits your price range, and your needs! You may also want to search on craigslist and see what is available in your area. I plow my garden and field and do all of the work on our small farm, and theres a lot of work, with a 26 year old, 15hp 4x4 tractor, and I never have an issue. You will have no problem with a 1 acre vegetable farm with a smaller tractor and you will not have loan to worry about. Most of Europe, and the rest of the world use smaller tractors, and turn out great crops. I think that there are great larger tractors in the US, but a lot of people buy way to big of a tractor for what they really need. You don't need a 30+hp tractor for what you want to do. You want to make your farm profitable, even if its is just for your own family. I can use a tiller, or just about any implement that you would find on a larger tractor, just the right size our needs. Having that said, there are some great deals in most areas on older 2wd tractors, like 8n's but again, don't buy bigger than you need, diesel isn't getting any cheaper. I have no connection to this company, but I really like what they have to offer, and what they have to say, Good Luck! Below are a few videos of smaller tractors, 15hp to about 25hp, 2wd, and 4wd, doing the type of work that you want to do.Nothing against anything that anyone suggests, I just thought you may want to start out with something that will save you some money.

Mitch

Used tractors for sale, used Yanmar tractors, reconditioned Yanmar tractor, Gray Market

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16vDgpllqfI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6nzXl8mKM&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctL3f_XauXc&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
   / sub compact tractor #69  
I'm confused. Last I checked Deere's 4720 (66HP) and Kubota's L5740 (60HP) are still considered CUTs. Though you may be saying that the B/2x20 size, the 3x20/L3x40 Lx40 size etc, etc are all SCUTs because they are indeed between a garden tractor and a CUT. This would also clearly define the MAX as a SCUT as it is definitely between a garden tractor and 4720, correct? Your definition is clearly much to vague. This will likely confuse a prospective buyer on what to preclude as SCUT, as that is the only form of classification.
ok...........so you are now comparing a Deere 4720 to a Kubota bx series.............

Anyone got the number for 911............Martian needs a paramedic.

Mahindra does not market a subcompact tractor.

/ sub compact tractor #70  
Don87 said:
ok...........so you are now comparing a Deere 4720 to a Kubota bx series.............

Anyone got the number for 911............Martian needs a paramedic.

Mahindra does not market a subcompact tractor.

Just confusing when you say between a GT and a CUT, as that's such a wide radius for what the tractor can be. I'm just going by your definition of a SCUT. Don't want to confuse the newbies.

My point is that there's no clear definition. They are used as loose guidelines and you still need to do your own research on what you need. Therefore, this entire argument is irrelevant because a SCUT cannot be consistently and clearly defined.